2009 - 2014 F-150

Baja Torture Test!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rednutbow
I just went back and listened carefully to the engine sounds through out the video, and the is a couple of places where the engine note changes to something more what I think it would sound like... 2:01 and 2:12 on the video.

I promise yall they dubbed the sound!
I see that too, but at the very very end of the video with the engine on the dyno it sounds sweet!!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pig9r
Now I see why Ford is not officially announcing the mpg numbers, or loudly announcing them--- 15/21 mpg's isn't ground breaking.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...fw1et3bkd00270

That being said, I really hoped the Ecoboost was going to be out in '10, because I would have gotten one.

is this new or been out for a while? im kind of disappointed that its only 21MPG

*EDIT*
its dated 12/23/10 (bottom of page) so i guess its current. but under the highway MPG rating, it does say expected range is 17 to 25 MPG.

Last edited by 88rxn/a; 12-23-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Not knocking the ecoboost because its got some power stock, and has a little potential with some bolt ons, but the 5.0 can make some power.
I know these are 5.0 mustangs, similar engine and im sure that all of these companies will make a supercharger for the truck (i looked under the hood of both and everything looks the same from the outside except the f-150 doesnt have the 5.0 cover over it because Ford want you to put a supercharger there (haha), so check out these crazy numbers

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...t_results.html
kenne bell

roush (my favorite)

whipple

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_08.html
procharger

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_21.html
bolt ons long tubes (look extremely easy to install from looking under the hood of a F-150, CAI and x pipe-bbk claims these can be done without a tune, so you can add more for a tune on top of this and the 5.0 NA is a monster.

Again I know its a mustang that this was done on, but this is some serious numbers, but it will cost some $$$ but the 5.0 can be modded to make some power.

Last edited by jswd60; 12-23-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by 88rxn/a
is this new or been out for a while? im kind of disappointed that its only 21MPG

*EDIT*
its dated 12/23/10 (bottom of page) so i guess its current. but under the highway MPG rating, it does say expected range is 17 to 25 MPG.
That displays the current date, tomorrow it will show 12-24. The build date looks to be 12-22-10. Notice the government crash ratings aren't listed either. The combined mpgs shows to be 17. My 5.4 with 3.73 has an EPA combined rating of 15 mpgs, which is pretty much what I get.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by jswd60
Not knocking the ecoboost because its got some power stock, and has a little potential with some bolt ons, but the 5.0 can make some power.
I know these are 5.0 mustangs, similar engine and im sure that all of these companies will make a supercharger for the truck (i looked under the hood of both and everything looks the same from the outside except the f-150 doesnt have the 5.0 cover over it because Ford want you to put a supercharger there (haha), so check out these crazy numbers

kenne bell

roush (my favorite)

whipple

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_08.html
procharger

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_21.html
bolt ons long tubes (look extremely easy to install from looking under the hood of a F-150, CAI and x pipe-bbk claims these can be done without a tune, so you can add more for a tune on top of this and the 5.0 NA is a monster.

Again I know its a mustang that this was done on, but this is some serious numbers, but it will cost some $$$ but the 5.0 can be modded to make some power.
Why anyone would buy a 5.0L and spend $8,000+ getting a whipple kit installed and dyno tuned over a $750 optioned ecoboost engine is beyond me.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Has more power at the wheels than the ecoboost has at the crank, plus I just love the v8 sound. I wont be going the supercharged route until the factory warrenty is out, but the basic bolt ons will happen very quickly and will put out alot more power than my 4.6 now, so I will be fine. I was just showing the possibilities, and my future dreams.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM
I think the EB will be an awesome motor but I will wait 2 or 3 years and see how it does. Besides the fuel economy isn't enough to justify over my 2010 5.4l. We don't drive enough to justify it.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Cool video; thanks for posting. I'm not buying another truck anytime soon, so it'll have time to prove itself when I'm in the market again.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by jswd60
Has more power at the wheels than the ecoboost has at the crank, plus I just love the v8 sound. I wont be going the supercharged route until the factory warrenty is out, but the basic bolt ons will happen very quickly and will put out alot more power than my 4.6 now, so I will be fine. I was just showing the possibilities, and my future dreams.
Have you seen what they are doing with ecoboost engines with just a tuner?

Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
By the time I will need a new truck, the Ecoboost will have been proven in the real world & probably be improved upon! Until then my 2007 Screw will be my ride...!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
NOT ONE PEARSON HERE HAS THOUGH ITS A TRUCK USED TO WORK NOT RACE!
(ford see it that way)
as for that i think ford has a solid platform for a truck that can pull /haul and do what is need at the job site / on the farm / at the boat ramp/ in the mountains at the snow.
and for me i would get a mustang if i need to go fast!

and on another note: show me one other brand willing to show us the public there tests first hand. (dodge,chevy,Toyota,Nissan) not one would let you Joe public in to the tests via test drives and real world jobs. ford has and is willing to do! sure two years ago dodge did some what of a people and truck test and found that thay lost 83% of their truck market to the test drives who tested the other trucks!

for a truck i wish i would have waited a little longer and at least drove one for my self before pulling the trigger on a 2010.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
NOT ONE PEARSON HERE HAS THOUGH ITS A TRUCK USED TO WORK NOT RACE!
(ford see it that way)
as for that i think ford has a solid platform for a truck that can pull /haul and do what is need at the job site / on the farm / at the boat ramp/ in the mountains at the snow.
and for me i would get a mustang if i need to go fast!

and on another note: show me one other brand willing to show us the public there tests first hand. (dodge,chevy,Toyota,Nissan) not one would let you Joe public in to the tests via test drives and real world jobs. ford has and is willing to do! sure two years ago dodge did some what of a people and truck test and found that thay lost 83% of their truck market to the test drives who tested the other trucks!

for a truck i wish i would have waited a little longer and at least drove one for my self before pulling the trigger on a 2010.
I agree, they put that engine through some extreme test as well as let alot people test drive them on closed roads against the competition (ford smokes them all). thats what the engine was designed to do. and for all of those who say it wont last, im pretty sure all those ford engineers with masters in mechanical engineering and twenty plus years under their belt know alot more about engines than most of you ever will! They have done the physics and the math and they know what the engine can handle.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Bighahn
I agree, they put that engine through some extreme test as well as let alot people test drive them on closed roads against the competition (ford smokes them all). thats what the engine was designed to do. and for all of those who say it wont last, im pretty sure all those ford engineers with masters in mechanical engineering and twenty plus years under their belt know alot more about engines than most of you ever will! They have done the physics and the math and they know what the engine can handle.
You could argue the same for the 6.0 PSD, or the Toyota brakes.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:11 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Difference there - Ford didn't build the 6.0 PSD engine, Navistar did.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Difference there - Ford didn't build the 6.0 PSD engine, Navistar did.
the public was not openly invited to beat on it or touchier it in a open market testing aether.

i think ford has other auto makers up on the ropes or should i say buy the shot hairs with this form of marketing/testing!

i know if i put as much as ford has in to a project as thay have here with the overwhelming home run like this ecoboost motor i too would ram it right in the competitions face and laugh all the to the top!

this is why ford stays #1 for over 37 years

Quick Reply: Baja Torture Test!