2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F-150 4x4 EcoBoost MPG 15 City 21 Highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Super FX4
It sounds better than you would think. It almost has that V-8 sound at WOT but not even audible at idle.

I talked with a guy that designs aftermarket parts. They are already working on wastegates, upgraded intercoolers, and boost controllers for them. Not to mention that tunes are already out for them in the SHO and MKZ models. They are getting 400awhp with just a tune in them while still not adding too much ignition or leaning it out.
I never paid attention to the exhaust when I took a test drive I guess. I would have loved if it someone could have just romper on it while I was standing on the curb so I could hear it.

It's good to hear they are already working on aftermarket parts, I'm just not sure how much I would initially change right away. I'd like to have a little bit of warranty on the thing for a while instead of cutting the full warranty off at the knees and wondering if things will be covered like on my current truck.

None the less I'm still pumped about the possibilities! I could get a fast, powerful truck with suspension lift for days underneath it! my current setup with more get up and go, imagine the look you would get when they found out it has a v6 under the hood!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Thumbs down ::shudders::

Originally Posted by fordmantpw
It's official!

16/22 for 2WD
15/21 for 4WD

Pickuptrucks.com
Wow, that sucks. Not even at our early guesstimates of 17city for the 4x4, never mind the 4x2 even. Let's hope the next all-new F-150 will have some dead-serious changes to it to increase MPG.

EDIT: All those guys going for the 5.0 can now laugh at those of us who were waiting for this great EB with not only the power of the 5.0 but much improved gas mileage. I eat my words for all this time I believed in the EB and chastised those for going for the 5.0 rather than waiting for the EB. Go out and enjoy your 5.0's, nothing at all to be ashamed about now. I'm a sad, sad panda.

Last edited by CometFlash; 01-07-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Apologies to 5.0 early adopters.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 PM
WOW you guys are "glass is half empty".

Still way more tq than a five point oh and gets better mpg. Hmmm terrible.

Whats next, get to Heaven, "its too bright and clean". hahah

Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm still waiting to test the ecoboost, and I sure hope it impresses me. I test drove the 5.0 last night (Lariat 4x4 w/ 3.55 gears) and was actually rather dissappointed in the performance. I guess I have been driving a tuned diesel for too long (about 500hp to the ground).

The economy on the 5.0 for the few miles I drove wasn't too bad though--it averaged 18.5.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid

It's not bad, but not what everyone was expecting.

Ford started out by saying V8 power and V6 fuel economy. Well it's not quite right, don't you think?

Yes it does have the power, but the fuel economy isn't that great if you look at the 5.0 or even GM 5.3.

Give the same 6th gear to the 5.0 has the Ecoboost have and let see the number for highway...

That's the problem when you hype something for to long.

I almost forgot. It doesn't come with the 36gal. fuel tank. Now that suck, because you will need to fuel more often then the 5.0 with the big tank.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM
I think many people on here who have said they were disappointed are not knocking the numbers for the eco. They (we) were just expecting more. 22 mpg in a 4x2 is a good number, 21 in a 4x4 is a great number. I think the problem many are having is that it is only 1 mpg better than the 5.0. If you include rounding that 1 mpg can be anywhere from .5 mpg to 1.4 mpg better. You can probably get that just by the way you drive, what you put in the tank, or the roads you use. Ford has said over and over they wanted the eco to be the top seller. With only a 1 mpg improvement I don't think it will be enough of an inducement for people who like V8s to switch to the V6. I couldn't care less what is under the hood, as long as it propels me adequately and isn't gulping gas. With the miles I drive, the repayment time frame isn't quick enough to have it make sense. Not including lost interest it is going to take the better part of my ownership time to recoup the cost of the engine. When you include lost interest, I'll most likely never receive my money back. 22 mpg is still a good number. I posted a while back that if the economy number came in at 23 I'd have to look at hard at the numbers to decide whether I was willing to take the chance. 22 and 24 are no brianers unless rebates are given.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid

If your towing a lot the Eb is the way to go. If your a casual tower then the 5 oh may be the best bet. At least they are giving us choices. IN my case Im stuck with the 5 liter because the eb is not offered in reg cab short bed. I could get by with the 3.7. Im just power hungry.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
It's not bad, but not what everyone was expecting.

Ford started out by saying V8 power and V6 fuel economy. Well it's not quite right, don't you think?
It seems pretty close to right if you compare motors that have similar preformance - i.e. the ford 6.2, GM 6.0 or 6.3(?), the dodge 5.7, or the toy 5.8. The EB 0-60 and tow rating ranks right up therewith the big boys that that all get 14-15mpg, and gets better gas mileage and ANY of the other brands full size V6 trucks, and is within one mpg of the Ford 3.7. Why is this a disappointed? Did you REALLY expect it to get 28mpg?
Yes it does have the power, but the fuel economy isn't that great if you look at the 5.0 or even GM 5.3.
The GM 5.3 is weak and is killed by the EB. yea, the mileage is about the same, but the EB is in a whole'nuther league with it comes to power/preformance. Compare the GM5.3 to the 3.7 and you have a contest that GM can win, but only by the hair on it's intake.

Give the same 6th gear to the 5.0 has the Ecoboost have and let see the number for highway...

That's the problem when you hype something for to long.
As I see it is living up to most of the hype - big block performance, v6/small block mileage. The only hype it is not measuring up to is the unofficial, sales dude/ford pimps on the forums claiming they got 25-28mpg on test drives.

I almost forgot. It doesn't come with the 36gal. fuel tank. Now that suck, because you will need to fuel more often then the 5.0 with the big tank.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
It doesn't come with the 36gal. fuel tank. Now that suck, because you will need to fuel more often then the 5.0 with the big tank.
Can someone explain this line of thinking?

26 gal tank x 21MPG = 546 miles

546 miles / 70MPH = 7.8 hours

How big is your bladder to be able to drive for nearly 8 hours straight? I have done my fair share of road trips and could never dream of 8 hours non-stop. Do you want kidney stones?

I was hoping for 23-24 MPG but can live with 21. Compared to my 2005 with the 5.4 it is no contest. In that truck I have gotten 20MPG once, driving on flat ground going 60MPH drafting a RV in normal driving I get 15-16. If the EB can give me 5-6 more MPG without drafting a house plus +60HP/+60Tq I will be one happy camper.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM
We are not sure that the ecoboost has a different 6th gear. That may have been a typo in the order guide. As far as I know, no one has verified

Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
We are not sure that the ecoboost has a different 6th gear. That may have been a typo in the order guide. As far as I know, no one has verified
Didn't someone say they had to beef up the rear end to F-250 weights because the TQ kept splitting it?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Didn't someone say they had to beef up the rear end to F-250 weights because the TQ kept splitting it?
Yes, a guy over on Blue Oval forum works at the Sterling axle plant and said that the ecoboost was getting a heavy diff with bigger gears and bearings

Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome!

Anyone know when the EB will be available for build & pricing on Ford's website?

Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
26 gal tank x 21MPG = 546 miles

546 miles / 70MPH = 7.8 hours
You sure aren't going to get 21 mpg towing a 8000# trailer............and isn't that one of the major hypes about the EB - max tow?

I'd be surprised if the EB got over 10 mpg towing a bigass trailer.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You sure aren't going to get 21 mpg towing a 8000# trailer............and isn't that one of the major hypes about the EB - max tow?

I'd be surprised if the EB got over 10 mpg towing a bigass trailer.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 4x4 EcoBoost MPG 15 City 21 Highway