2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F-150 4x4 EcoBoost MPG 15 City 21 Highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it pretty funny that there is nothing but speculation at this point, two months out or not. The numbers are obviously not what Ford thought they would be or else we would have heard more from them......just some speculation...about 4 months ago I was convinced that I would be buying a EB engine...now I am pretty sure its going to be a 5.0 in my new truck.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Reddragon8
I find it pretty funny that there is nothing but speculation at this point, two months out or not. The numbers are obviously not what Ford thought they would be or else we would have heard more from them......just some speculation...about 4 months ago I was convinced that I would be buying a EB engine...now I am pretty sure its going to be a 5.0 in my new truck.
I'm starting to lean the same way.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Disregarding the fuel mileage for a moment...if those tests they show on Ford's web site for durability and power (the videos with Mike Rowe where they subjected an ecoboost V6 turbo to an equivalent 150k miles and then did other tests with it) are true, then that's pretty impressive and that's the engine I'd choose for my new truck (not in the market at the moment though). I mean, it has more HP and torque than my 5.4. Not too much more, but more....and everyone loves a turbo whistle as it's spooling up :-) I sure do anyway!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
You guys really shouldn't pick which engine you are getting until you have all the facts...just sayin. All you have is speculation.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Maybe the final numbers aren't in from the EPA yet?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 AM
If I recall correctly didn't Ford start building the 150's with a 5.0 just before the fuel mileage numbers were released?

Edited to add: Never mind, I found the dates. The economy numbers were released about 2 weeks before production started.

Last edited by 1depd; 12-28-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 AM
What we know is the EB will get better mpg than the 5.0L. And kick its azz*. The 5.0L sounds incredible and "its a V8". (and the spark plugs can be changed by Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles)

* Certain advantages gearing match ups the 5.0 may get to 50 quicker.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I was hoping for 16/22 and dreaming of 17/23 so if the EPA numbers ended up 15/21 I would be a little disappointed. I mean, those are good numbers numbers for a big HEAVY truck and I think one of the Chevy's might be rated at 21 HWY, but it is most likely comparing apples to elephants in terms of power and performance vs the EcoBoost. My disappointment would be more in the way Ford has hyped the whole V6 fuel economy with V8 power..... I just think they have gotten peoples hopes way up. I said back in October that 22 or 23 HWY in 4x4 would be impressive when there was this post https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...011-mpg-4.html of people arguing that it would be high 20's and even 30mpg HWY.......

Old 12-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by harleydude78
You guys really shouldn't pick which engine you are getting until you have all the facts...just sayin. All you have is speculation.
Then instead of keeping everyone in the dark until the last possible momemt, maybe Ford should give me some FACTS!!! Then I could actually make an informed decision...I don't get what the deal is with the slow release of information.....at first it was building excitment....now I'm just annoyed. There is only one reason they haven't been hyping the engine fuel economy wise...because its probably not that different then the 5.0....which will hurt its sales. I have been swayed back to the 5.0 based on the following facts. 1. 5.0 is cheaper 2. everyone says (Fact) it sounds awsome. 3. I still have my doubts about trusting a twin turbo engine...I guess once an actual TT vehicle hits the lots then I will have all the facts...until then Ford will continue to **** me off with no info.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Then instead of keeping everyone in the dark until the last possible momemt, maybe Ford should give me some FACTS!!! Then I could actually make an informed decision...I don't get what the deal is with the slow release of information.....at first it was building excitment....now I'm just annoyed. There is only one reason they haven't been hyping the engine fuel economy wise...because its probably not that different then the 5.0....which will hurt its sales. I have been swayed back to the 5.0 based on the following facts. 1. 5.0 is cheaper 2. everyone says (Fact) it sounds awsome. 3. I still have my doubts about trusting a twin turbo engine...I guess once an actual TT vehicle hits the lots then I will have all the facts...until then Ford will continue to **** me off with no info.

And what **** me off even more. Is the fact i CAN'T have the max tow package with the 5.0

Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
And what **** me off even more. Is the fact i CAN'T have the max tow package with the 5.0
We have done beat that horse in the ground. I don't like it either but that's the way it is.

Having said that, I ordered an ecoboost today. Even if it only beats the 5.0 by 1 mpg it is worth it, if you plan on towing anything as the low end torque is phenomenal.

For those that can't decide, wait about a month or so until the ecoboost comes out, and go drive both and then come back and tell us which you liked- and don't base it solely on sound or "has to be a V8". Give me an honest comparison for acceleration, power and torque and the ecoboost will be most folk's favorite.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM

I know I'm repeating myself but maybe Ford doesn't have the final numbers to release yet!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I agree reddragon 8! Forget the EB, get the 5.0, it can't be that much worse from a mileage standpoint and it is one sweet engine.

My 2011 Flex has the Duratec version of the 3.5. It is rated 17/24 v.s. 16/22 for the Ecoboost in the Flex. In the real world, we get around 19 in town and 22-23 on the highway with it. Add 700 or so pounds in F-150 and 21 highway sounds about right for the EB.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
I know I'm repeating myself but maybe Ford doesn't have the final numbers to release yet!
PURE 100% Bull****...and I saw Elvis last night too.....they have the numbers they just don't want to release them.... they're already building them and you think they don't have the numbers??? they had the numbers easily by last year, considering they have been testing the EB for the last 3 years.

Last edited by Reddragon8; 12-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
OOPPS double post

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 4x4 EcoBoost MPG 15 City 21 Highway