2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F-150 4x4 EcoBoost MPG 15 City 21 Highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
All that Ford has said was about a 20% improvement in fuel economy and those numbers are there so that's not a valid argument. Now if you don't want to spend the extra money that is up to you. As far as added maintenance, there is none- it's not a diesel with fuel filters, 2 batteries, DEF, etc. Yes, the engine is more complex than the 5.0 but that doesn't mean that it's less reliable. Neither engine has a track record yet. Sure the 5.0 has been out but the engine has been modified for the truck
^^What he said.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
365 hp, 420tq. I have not driven it but I am sure it's pretty stout. I think we have lost sight of the fact this is still a 6000lb truck!!! Nothing aerodynamic about it either. We all know Ford is serious about shaving a lot of weight off of the next F150 with new materials. Ecoboost in a 5000lb F150, along with some aero improvements, would most likely fetch some fantastic MPG's and be a rocket!

Maybe the comparison/discussion should be between the 6.2 and the 3.5 since both of them are available with max tow and crush the 5.0's numbers?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Yes, the engine is more complex than the 5.0 but that doesn't mean that it's less reliable. Neither engine has a track record yet. Sure the 5.0 has been out but the engine has been modified for the truck
I never said the 3.5 was less reliable, only that with more mechanical parts there are more to wear out and maintain. I keep my vehicles a long time, (scheduled replacement at no less than 10 years) so for me that is a concern. With only a one MPG improvement over the 5.0l the pay back in gas usage is too long to compensate me for the maintenance of the engine in the long run. Unless Ford offers some good rebates in the next couple months, I can't justify the 3.5l over the 5.0l for my use.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by cheef
Maybe the comparison/discussion should be between the 6.2 and the 3.5 since both of them are available with max tow and crush the 5.0's numbers?
This would be good, but pointless. The only engine options I have for the truck I am going to buy are the 3.5l and the 5.0l.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
1depd, I am a lil disappointed too. I thought it would match the 3.7, but make no mistake, those are great numbers for the power. Now I can't verify if it is at the lot because it is 15 minutes out of the way for me, but I can give you this story. In august I almost bought a 4x4 lariat from them ( candy apple red color) I backed out because it was a lil out of my price range. Well I kept checking on the website everyday to see if they got a new one in that color I would like and that fit my budget. Finally in mid September an 2wd xlt in candy apple red showed up on the website. I went look the next day and there it was. I ended up buying it for my Gf. Point of the story, I am not 100 % sure it is there, but I would bet money that it is on the lot if it is on the website.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
No doubt those are great numbers, especially compared to the last truck I had. I averaged 16 mpg in mixed driving and if I got above 60 mph I got way worse. When deciding which truck and options to buy for me it makes my choice very simple. 22 mpg is not enough of an increase over the 5.0 to opt for the 3.5.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by islandcat1
1depd, I am a lil disappointed too. I thought it would match the 3.7, but make no mistake, those are great numbers for the power. Now I can't verify if it is at the lot because it is 15 minutes out of the way for me, but I can give you this story. In august I almost bought a 4x4 lariat from them ( candy apple red color) I backed out because it was a lil out of my price range. Well I kept checking on the website everyday to see if they got a new one in that color I would like and that fit my budget. Finally in mid September an 2wd xlt in candy apple red showed up on the website. I went look the next day and there it was. I ended up buying it for my Gf. Point of the story, I am not 100 % sure it is there, but I would bet money that it is on the lot if it is on the website.
the other f150's show "available in stock" but the description on the eco boost says "dealer ordered"

http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dea...0/BodyDesc/1/0

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by deltascrew
the other f150's show "available in stock" but the description on the eco boost says "dealer ordered"

I like how underneath the 2 large estimated mpg numbers, in small print it says "city drivers expect anywhere from 13-19" and "highway drivers expect anywhere from 18-26". That's one hell of a range for both

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Excaliber551
The complaining is because many of the ford employess who were in charge of the test drives were bragging about 23-28 mpg freeway at 70- 75 mph with the EB.
That's why. In reality these trucks wont get 21 mpg at true freeway speeds (70-75 mph)
They will likely get what the 5.0 is rated at(14-19), at best.

That's a big difference from what they were touting. The EB will be a much tougher sell now since it's MPG's are not much better than the 5.0.
Most tried and true Ford V8 owners will opt for the V8 over the EB V6.

Ford has let us down with no max tow on the 5.0 and poorer than expected MPG on the EB.
Uh, what?

Im going to let everyone in on a little secret. The EPA ratings are automatically biased against FI vehicles. Moreover, the EPA tests less than 10% of vehicles. Even then, there are multiple variables that contribute to fuel economy.

I especially love when I see people like this person complaining about how a FI vehicle gets worse mileage. Guess what? Dont blame the rest of us because you dont know how to drive. Having owned 3+ FI vehicles now, I could easily get 10% better than the EPA highway mileage ESTIMATE, just by driving with some common sense. Its not hard really. Dont use the cruise control, anticipate your lane changes, and keep your foot off the loud pedal.

I, for one, will not be surprised when people can get 23-24mpg out of this truck.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
So today did another ecoboost drive and got 18 in the city and 24.5 on the highway. Drove about an hour and got 20.9 combined so I was please. This was a 4x4 lariat screw. Had the same time in a 5.0 4x2 platnium and got 16.1 city 22 highway and 18.1 combined. I am sticking with my ordered ecoboost.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by deltascrew

Well I stand corrected. Good thing I did not bet money. Lol

Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Well look at it this way guys. For years everyone was botching and complaining about the horsepower of these vehicles and how behind ford was compared to the others. Now we are bitching about how the class leading mpg engines are disappointing us. Lol. I rather this argument than the enough horsepower argument

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
EcoBoost rocks!

I have my "we'll bring one to you" test drive tomorrow afternoon. I'll drive that Ecoboost a bit more sensibly (i.e. realistically) than I drove at the F150 Roundup at Texas Motor Speedway. (Almost all of it was full throttle there!) It smoked Chevy and Dodge, and was neck-and-neck with Ford's own Harley Davidson 6.2.

EcoBoost makes more HP and should get MUCH better mileage than my 5.4, especially when cruising the highways - which I do regularly.

Below about 4000 RPMs, the ecoboost makes more torque than any 1/2-ton gasser out there (even the H-D 6.2). Occasionally I pull a camper or a horse trailer, but never above 4000 RPMs! To me, for $750 the Ecoboost is an easy choice. When 21-23 MPG isn't enough, I'll ride my motorcycle (or horse).

Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by islandcat1
Well look at it this way guys. For years everyone was botching and complaining about the horsepower of these vehicles and how behind ford was compared to the others. Now we are bitching about how the class leading mpg engines are disappointing us. Lol. I rather this argument than the enough horsepower argument
This.

I mentioned this just now in another thread. Ford has always had the best truck and has almost always had a turd under the hood. Now we've got the best truck with the top 3 engine choices (and the little 3.7 would beat out several of the competitors base V8 offerings).

Yeah, we quibble about which engine is the best. In the end, they're all the best. They're all dangerously close in a drag race and at least 3 of the 4 get damn good fuel mileage for a big *** truck.

I'm a tad disappointed in the EB mileage, simply based on the hype Ford surrounded the new engine with. I expected another 1-2 highway and city MPG out of the EB.

But, realistically, my 4.0L extended cab Ranger (auto) averages 17mpg (worst is 14 - pulling a small trailer, best is 19 if all highway). Give me a bigger, roomier, nicer, faster, more capable F150 with 4-5 more mpg and I'm a happy camper!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I just can't understand why you are all whining about EPA numbers. They are not necessarily realistic. Calm down, sit back, and wait for the guinea pigs to actually take delivery of them and report their real world calculated (not lie-o-meter) gas mileages. I have no doubt whatsoever that some EB's could get mid-20's on the highway driven conservatively. I also have no doubt that some 5.0's could get at least low 20's driven the same way. I also would expect some people to never even see 20 with either engine!

My 03 4.2 was rated at 16/20 under the old system. I'm guessing that would be maybe 14/18 or 14/19 under the new system. Well - I've seen everywhere between 12 and 23 real world.

Last edited by glc; 01-07-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 4x4 EcoBoost MPG 15 City 21 Highway