2009 - 2014 F-150

Is This A Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, ask for the original rims and tires back or take off the difference...it is in the end on the sticker your paying for.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM
What do you want ?

Mr.Juke
A lot of smart fellas here have given you some pretty good information on deciding whether or not to buy that black Platinum. I agree with most of them but two fellas. First of all You are getting your moneys worth with a Platinum, as I am now the proud owner of a new Sterling Gray Metallic 2010 F-150 Platinum after trading in a beautiful black 2008 F-250 Super Duty 6.4 Diesel. And no, you cannot get the options and class of a Platinum in a $46,000 Super Duty, sorry, been there done that. You will pay much more for a Super Duty fitted with all the options a Platinum has. I paid $50,000 at that time, and the truck doesn't come near the class of the Platinum.

Since buying this Platinum I can honestly tell you that I am far happier with the fit, quality and lack of problems that I encountered with the Super Duty. I will not go into details here, as I truly loved the truck and the great diesel sound. But at the end of the day you decide what you want and can afford in your new truck and present it to the dealer. If they cannot get you into that truck for what you want ( and trust me they will do all they can to make it happen ) I would be surprised. Best of luck.

Last edited by Doo Wop; 12-31-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Cub Cadet
Yikes... I would be after a 2011 6.2L version. The 5.4 3V engine is a hunk of junk. You will be VERY disappointed with that 5.4 3V. The 6.2L replacement could not come along fast enough. The 6.2L trucks feel very nice and bring the driving feel back to what the old 5.4 2V engines used to be. I would never suggest a 2004-2010 5.4 3V to anyone. They make good boat anchors though.
Agree. 6.2 would be much better with the 35's and 6" ift. There is a reason this truck is still sitting there with 200 miles on it.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Juke.....Let me be the voice of reason and tell you not to buy that truck. I'm guessing that you're a student and you don't need to be saddled with that huge amount of debt. I bet there is nothing wrong with your Nissan, so keep driving it and wait a little longer.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Well if the truck breaks due to the lift kit they still have to fix it because they promised the warranty with the lift kit on the truck. vs if you do the lift ur self they have the option to not fix ur truck if it breaks.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Well guys, I am filled with mixed emotions when I say this to you that I will not be upgrading to a 2010 lifted Platinum. I'll be honest, the Platinum edition is a gorgeous truck and with the lift, wheels, tires. It is everything I want in a truck. But honestly, I said no. I couldn't deal with the 5.4 in there.

As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm a speed demon. My current Titan has a Superchips 93 Race tune with the timing advanced 2*, full on Magnaflow exhaust, and Stillen intake. It hauls *** and blows the doors off of a 3v 5.4, lifted or not. Now, I'm not knocking Ford, because I've been a die hard Ford guy all my life. Hell, I would have bought an F-150 back in June 2007 if there would have been some muscle behind the 5.4. And I tried to convince myself that it would be different with a 6 speed tranny.

Well, I took the truck for an extended test drive. Went to the gym, ran a couple errands, stopped by the smoothie shop, and it's gorgeous. It turned heads everywhere and it really is an amazing truck. But I just can't justify getting a new truck when mine is not that old and I still owe $9000 on it. There is no reason for me to go throw money away for another truck when I have my sights set on another prize.

I'm a sophomore at Texas A&M right now. In May 2014, I'll be graduating with a BS in Accounting and a Masters in Finance. At that time, I'll be purchasing a CPO BMW M3. I've had my eyes on one of these cars since I turned 16, but my dad refused to let me get such a powerful car. He was right. I'd probably be wrapped around a telephone pole in one of those things. And, if I bought this truck, I wouldn't have nearly enough money to get what I really want. So in all honesty, I will say that the redesigned F-150 is an amazing machine. It has more amenities than either one of my parent's Lexus. I don't think there is one thing that the truck does not have or that Ford didn't get right, (okay...the ugly chrome in the taillights comes to mind). And if I could afford it, I'd get this exact truck that I just drove with either the 6.2L or the Ecoboost.

So until then, I may stick around here drool over some of the beautiful trucks y'all have, but unless one just falls in my lap, it will be awhile before I'll be an F-150 owner.

Again, thank you so much to everyone here who was willing to lend a helping hand. I truly appreciate it.

For what it's worth, here are a few pictures of my Titan:

And what almost was:

Again, thanks guys. I really appreciate the help and words of wisdom.

Last edited by juke; 12-28-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Quick, someone delete those Titan pictures on this f150 site. Just kidding, not bad for a titan.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Doo Wop
Mr.Juke
A lot of smart fellas here have given you some pretty good information on deciding whether or not to buy that black Platinum. I agree with most of them but two fellas. First of all You are getting your moneys worth with a Platinum, as I am now the proud owner of a new Sterling Gray Metallic 2010 F-150 Platinum after trading in a beautiful black 2008 F-250 Super Duty 6.4 Diesel. And no, you cannot get the options and class of a Platinum in a $46,000 Super Duty, sorry, been there done that. You will pay much more for a Super Duty fitted with all the options a Platinum has. I paid $50,000 at that time, and the truck doesn't come near the class of the Platinum.

Since buying this Platinum I can honestly tell you that I am far happier with the fit, quality and lack of problems that I encountered with the Super Duty. I will not go into details here, as I truly loved the truck and the great diesel sound. But at the end of the day you decide what you want and can afford in your new truck and present it to the dealer. If they cannot get you into that truck for what you want ( and trust me they will do all they can to make it happen ) I would be surprised. Best of luck.
Good choice!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the Titan actually looks better than that Platinum. Be glad that you ran far away from that truck.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cub Cadet
I think the Titan actually looks better than that Platinum. Be glad that you ran far away from that truck.
Really? To each his own I guess. The only thing I didn't like about it was the Terra Grapplers (I'd rather have Toyo M/Ts) and the lack of tow mirrors. Two things I was going to push for if the deal went through.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 PM

I think the rims are fugly too.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MSRP for loaded Harley F-250 is in the $60k range with actual transaction prices mid $40's for 2010 models.

$12k off MSRP of a 2010 $50k MSRP F-150 is reasonable with 2011 models hitting the lots, especially in Texas where discounts run deep. That's $38k, and paying about $4k for the aftermarket stuff is reasonable.

Anyway, unless you have problems with your Titan, keep it. It will lose even less money over the next 5 years than anything new. It has more power than the 5.4L.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Just wondering... what truck did your "grandfather" buy? Or, have we been trolled.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by 150 flareside
Just wondering... what truck did your "grandfather" buy? Or, have we been trolled.

^^^^ x2 Where again did the grandfather start in the story?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The platinum is a nice truck and they went and put some cheap looking wheels and tires on it. I wonder what lift is on it? Looks like maybe fabtech.

Quick Reply: Is This A Good Deal?