2009 - 2014 F-150

rize it up

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fx4 for life 79
Yeah 'Ive been reading your threads about all your problems, I figure though this will only be my daily driver for a couple years until I finish school then I can retire it and get something new and by then it will be paid off.
A quality installation will go a long way to avoid a lot of the same problems I had. definitely do all the digging you can on shops before letting them touch it. i had a sneaky suspicion that things like the wheel bearings and front end where wearing thin again, and ended up being right once it was all apart.. I got a good 70k out of the truck problem free and hope once everything is all fixed up I can take it to 100k+ by the end of next year then get into a 2011 and park this one.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FX4life
A quality installation will go a long way to avoid a lot of the same problems I had. definitely do all the digging you can on shops before letting them touch it. i had a sneaky suspicion that things like the wheel bearings and front end where wearing thin again, and ended up being right once it was all apart.. I got a good 70k out of the truck problem free and hope once everything is all fixed up I can take it to 100k+ by the end of next year then get into a 2011 and park this one.
Yeah thats what I've been reading up on, the shop that is going to do the lift has done the rize before on their shop truck so I feel confident there but gear install worries me some.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Yeah thats what I've been reading up on, the shop that is going to do the lift has done the rize before on their shop truck so I feel confident there but gear install worries me some.
Yea the Rize will stand strong forever. I have had zero issues with the actual lift, now the truck around it and certain accompanying mods are letting me down severely

Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
haha yeah its a never ending process. One question I have though what should I do for drive shafts cause I know I'll prolly need something with that much lift and really do not like having a 2 peice drive shaft?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM

haha yeah its a never ending process. One question I have though what should I do for drive shafts cause I know I'll prolly need something with that much lift and really do not like having a 2 peice drive shaft?
The best thing I can say is to hit up google or the phone book to see about driveline shops in your area. That or, ask the off road shop about it or who they recommend. Make sure the rear end is shimmed to the correct pinion angle before taking it in to driveline because that will change the measurement a bit. I had to have mine shortened a bit after shimming the rear axle 3 years after getting them lengthened

Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 PM
The best thing I can say is to hit up google or the phone book to see about driveline shops in your area. That or, ask the off road shop about it or who they recommend. Make sure the rear end is shimmed to the correct pinion angle before taking it in to driveline because that will change the measurement a bit. I had to have mine shortened a bit after shimming the rear axle 3 years after getting them lengthened
Alrighty so pretty much wait until I get the lift then go from there

Old 12-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Alrighty so pretty much wait until I get the lift then go from there
That's the best bet for accuracy weather you take the measurements or have a shop do it.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Thats why i had to get rid of my 06

Just get ready for the repairs down the road, I expected them but never like this. Part of this can be blamed on poor installations, but a lot of the replaced parts I have seen are severely worn out like the wheel bearings, etc.. In the last week I have had to completely rebuild the axles and now the transmission and transfer case plus a new torque converter. All new wheel bearings, CV axles, IWE's, control arm bushings, bla, bla, bla... right now I hate my truck

You might look at 4.56's too, I traded my 4.88's for 4.56's after learning I had to rebuild my axles and so far like them much better than the 4.88's.

I also wouldn't ever plan on seeing that rize pre-runner kit... pretty certain after you bought the truck, fenders, and their likely 'over-priced, new to the market' long travel kit you could have come out ahead just buying a raptor. The only difference might be the rear shock setup since i bet rize has a cage/shocks thru the bed, more long travel type rear suspension setup and the raptor keeps it more of an OEM rear suspension setup.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
That's the best bet for accuracy weather you take the measurements or have a shop do it.
That's what I'll do then. Take to a driveline shop after the lift and make sure everything checks out

Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Here is a update, the lift just got out of production and should hopefully be here soon I'll know more info later

Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
FX4 what shop you taking it to for the lift install? please dont say Extreme off road on mason...

Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by rednutbow
FX4 what shop you taking it to for the lift install? please dont say Extreme off road on mason...
Haha yeah i believe so. Why

Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Tom Woods makes some nice DS's! They will make whatever you want, go to their site and they show you how to measure everything.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Tom Woods makes some nice DS's! They will make whatever you want, go to their site and they show you how to measure everything.
TW may make great stuff but when I called they wanted just about 800 bucks for a custom length double cardan rear driveshaft and around 350 for just the custom length front... screw that and them! I got mine both done at a local shop for less than 500 with no problems what so ever.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
They do make them for offroad so they are more expensive.

Quick Reply: rize it up