2009 - 2014 F-150

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Issue

Yesterday driving down the interstate at about 75 I get a tire sensor failure. Once I stop I check all 4 tires and each one had 35lbs. Get back on the interstate and get back up to speed the light went away. On the return trip after about 80 miles the light comes back on and stayed on till I got on the off ramp then the light goes out and hasn't come back on. Is this a sign of a sensor about to go out, if so how to tell which one?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
i have had the same issue for the past 800 miles or so. Just had new tires put on. have about 41K on the truck now. it will be 2 years old feb 13th of 2011.

just states the tpms failure. the info screen has a message for a bit. and the light lights up. then flashes.

ill have it in for an oil change this week. ill have them take a peak.

also .. all tires have 40bs.. ( i had the TPMS reprog even back when i had pirellis on it. ) it currently is running.
goodyear. wrangler.silent armors- kevlar tire. pro grade tires, 10 ply. rides a bit rougher. i also replaced the shocks. put bilstin 5100's all the way around. and edge programmer. maybe the tire installer hit a sensor.?

ill repost this week.
brant b. eveyone have a good week.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depend upon which tires you have on whether it uses 35, 40, or something else. Many of the tires used on the F150 are P series with a max of 35. Some are higher pressure P series and some are Lt tires that are LR C or LR E. Each will have a different recommended pressure, and the sensors handle them all. They work when losing a certain percentage of pressure. That is why in colder weather areas, you may get a low pressure waring due to temperature drop.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Check your spare tire for proper pressure. Mine has a sensor in it also.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by House Doc
Check your spare tire for proper pressure. Mine has a sensor in it also.
It should not have a sensor in it. The system knows when a vehicle is moving or not. A non-moving sensor, while above a speed of 25mph would cause a TPMS fault.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by mx52
Yesterday driving down the interstate at about 75 I get a tire sensor failure. Once I stop I check all 4 tires and each one had 35lbs. Get back on the interstate and get back up to speed the light went away. On the return trip after about 80 miles the light comes back on and stayed on till I got on the off ramp then the light goes out and hasn't come back on. Is this a sign of a sensor about to go out, if so how to tell which one?
I have discovered with both my Expedition and with my Raptor, that there is about a 30 min. or 30-50 mile delay when a tire is testing lower then the preset pressure requirements. Not sure why, but with both vehichles I have had this happen. You may want to bump the pressure up and drive it about 30 min. and see if that solves the problem, the pressure your sensors are set to are printed somewhere on the truck, look either in the fuel door or the drivers door jam. If it says 40 psi then 35psi is probably your problem, if it says 35 psi then maybe check them with a different guage before taking it in for repair. I have several tire guages around my shop, and I have found that some are not as acurate as others.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
It should not have a sensor in it. The system knows when a vehicle is moving or not. A non-moving sensor, while above a speed of 25mph would cause a TPMS fault.
Ford may have a better idea. My son's Tacoma will generate the TPMS light if the spare is low.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by House Doc
Ford may have a better idea. My son's Tacoma will generate the TPMS light if the spare is low.
This is where I get that the spare does not have a sensor.

Each road tire is equipped with
a tire pressure sensor located
inside the tire/wheel cavity. The
pressure sensor is attached to
the valve stem. The pressure
sensor is covered by the tire and
is not visible unless the tire is
removed. Care must be taken
when changing the tire to avoid
damaging the sensor.
It also states that you will have a light until the tire is repaired and remounted.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I have had the sensors re-learned to the truck. they all registered. this was at the dealership.

its currently at the shop that installed tires. went from stock pirellis to
goodyear wrangler silent armors, 285.60.20.

used edge programmer to set tire size so rsc, and traction control wont be overly sensitive.

still getting 'sensor fault' now and then.

shop did notice tires had 45lbs in them. min recomended is 40. might lower it to that.

dealership that serivces truck - people who 're learned' sensors state there is a note about possible cell phone interferance. and possible 'other electronic device' interference. meaning the EDGE.. so i plan on , if the tire place cant figure it out. reverting back to factory tune. and unpluggin edge.

dont think that is the issue as i know others on this forum who have way bigger tires than i do. and run a tune. and have a bluetooh phone connected to sync.. which is a built in function of the vehicle. i can see where interference might happen and disrupt signal. but it happened after tires were installed. programmer was already in vehicle. before tires were installed.

anyone have something else i should look into?
everyone have a great week.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Do not use 40 for those tires. They are an LT LR E tire. You can't go by the door panel unless the tires are the same load range. Your Pirellis were a P series standard load tire. 40 would be low for the Goodyears. 45 is the minimum that should be used for them.

If you are getting sensor faults, either the reset process didn't work or you have a damaged sensor.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Well shop that installed tires. had it for two full days. ( i drove home at night )
said . we dont know. i cant tell where a single tire was removed for inspection of sensors. ill wait until it happens again. and then meet with the shop manager. ( graduated with him - high school. know him for 15years at least .) and then get owner involved.

was just at shop today, linc.mer dealership. where i get all work done on truck. as the selling stealership is 35 mins away.
i used sensor tool today. test communicated with all sensors no problem.
so its either sensor or. bad batt in truck is causing issues. which it could i beleive.

--batt is prolly shot per tech last oil change. noticed it cranked slow. and i told him when i drive . charging voltage gets up to 15v.. goes from 14. to 15 at least. as i drive. they said come back when you have 2 hrs . we need a code to replace. went back today. battery code says shot. after only 30 mins.
THEN I GET QUOTES TO REPLACE BATTERY. 110.00

battery in there is smallest in battery group. i was supposed to get upgraded batt with max tow/ bigger alternator i thought? turns out that is not the case. looks like they ran out that day.

and battery has no warranty.? its not even 2 years old. and truck has 40K on it. so much for not having anything out of pocket on a new truck. and it has extended warranty also.

i know that went off topic a bit . however its fresh in my mind. and will be all day.
everyone have a good one.

Quick Reply: TPMS Issue