2009 - 2014 F-150

Broke Driver Mirror....How to replace

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Driver Mirror....How to replace

Stupid me busted my mirror and asembly while backing out of the garage!! 2400 miles and already banged up!!!!
2010 XLT It is just the pwr mirror, not heated or with turn signals.

I haven't found a "how to" on the 09-10's.. dealer sales guy said the trim piece comes off from the outside exposing 3 bolts. True?

Please tell me I don't have to get to them from the inside door panels!!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Jason

Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
The panel has to come off but it's not a hard job

Old 01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Dude, just did the SAME THING but i pulled it off while backing into the garage. Broke the mirror glass in the bottom corner. Broke the assembly that holds the mirror glass so now it faces the ground and wont adjust. The plastic assembly made it just fine thought. what did you order to fix it? and what did it cost?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

oh man, I feel for you. I backed out of my garage thousands of times with my old truck. Not two weeks with the new one and BANG! I broke it to pieces. I took mine to the dealership and had them replace the whole mirror assembly. It was about $480 out the door.

Sorry, I have no idea how to take the thing apart. But from what I could see when it was busted up, there's a lot inside that thing.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Why would anyone pay to have their mirror replaced? There is nothing to taking the door panels off and once they're off, its just three nuts to take the mirror assembly off. unplug the wire, and reverse to replace.

... wish i had money to burn on a new truck, let alone on having a mirror replaced at a dealer.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
Why would anyone pay to have their mirror replaced? There is nothing to taking the door panels off and once they're off, its just three nuts to take the mirror assembly off. unplug the wire, and reverse to replace.

... wish i had money to burn on a new truck, let alone on having a mirror replaced at a dealer.
because my time is more valuable than than the savings incurred by installing it myself. At least for the mirror replacement. The mirror cost was around 85% of the out-the-door cost. I believe the mirror was something around $400.

Obviously for you it wouldn't have been worth it. That's no reason to come on here and make a fool of yourself asking rhetorical questions attempting to point out why you think I wasted my money. And then make some snide remark putting down people who have money. Pretty low dude.

As there is a great need for a sarcasm font, if I incorrectly interpreted your comment, please forgive me and disregard this message

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 01-04-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by ncTidalWave
because my time is more valuable than than the savings incurred by installing it myself. At least for the mirror replacement. The mirror cost was around 85% of the out-the-door cost. I believe the mirror was something around $400.

Obviously for you it wouldn't have been worth it. That's no reason to come on here and make a fool of yourself asking rhetorical questions attempting to point out why you think I wasted my money. And then make some snide remark putting down people who have money. Pretty low dude.

As there is a great need for a sarcasm font, if I incorrectly interpreted your comment, please forgive me and disregard this message
SARCASM JUST ONE OF THE FINE SERVICES I OFFER oh and snide remarks lol

Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
SARCASM JUST ONE OF THE FINE SERVICES I OFFER oh and snide remarks lol
^

Old 08-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This afternoon while driving my truck in I really smashed up the right side mirror. It is an 09 platinum. I am wondering If I can buy a cheaper mirror assembly (it will need to be power fold atleast) and then install the components from my platinum to get it to match the driver side. I would have to install the heated glass, puddle lamp, chrome cap, turn signal. Is this possible. I havent even put 2000 of my own miles on the truck and was just trying to stay close to the wall so the wife can get her car in and out easy.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't break a mirror, but two days after my Dad got his '07 XLT we took it to get the Sunday paper and about a mile from home I swerved to avoid hitting a metal/wire window frame someone lost off of a trailer.

Upon opening the door, at home, we hear a hissing noise and I...didn't dodge the window frame well enough. There was a gaping slash down the rear passenger tire that shredded the sidewall. New tire, two days after getting a new truck...fun stuff

Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
So does anyone know if all the mirrors are essentially the same? Can I take parts from my platinum mirror and put them into the shell from like an XLT truck and make it all work? I would have to move the power fold motor, heated mirror, turn signal.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
is it just the glass? b/c most glass places can buy mirror & cut it to the right shape & glue it in... As long as you dont mind the housing still being busted, if you busted it too..

but if just the glass needs replacing I would def. look into that. Hail busted one of mine & The local glass place cut & glued in another mirror for me for $25.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM
No the only thing broke on my mirror is the housing. That is why I would like to buy a really cheap housing and put the motors/lights from my old housing into the new.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Murph,

As long as the wiring/etc. is good (which you think is), yes the housing from a lower-end model should work with no problems.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I had the power folding mirrors option added after I bought my truck.

Only problem is, there is a slight whining problem that just started.

Soon as I tell my new girlfriend to get out and fold in the mirrors, the whining starts.

Quick Reply: Broke Driver Mirror....How to replace