2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 Hood Deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Hood Deflector?

I traded in my '07.5 STX this past week for a '11 STX. I am looking at installing an AVS Aeroskin Hood Protector. Has anyone installed one of these on their '09 - '11 model? AVS only lists it for the '09 model; it should work on the '10-'11 models also?

Thanks, James

Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I traded in my '07.5 STX this past week for a '11 STX. I am looking at installing an AVS Aeroskin Hood Protector. Has anyone installed one of these on their '09 - '11 model? AVS only lists it for the '09 model; it should work on the '10-'11 models also?

Thanks, James

Hey James...I installed one on my '10 with no problem. I actually purchased mine through Cabelas and it shows that it fits the '09-'10 models. I think it's one of the best looking hood protectors on the market and I love how it looks on my truck. It isn't the best picture, but you can see it on my truck in this picture...[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Aeroskin

I installed a AVS Aeroskin Hood Protector this past monday. It was very easy to install and only took about 12-15 minutes total including prep time. I am pleased with the look of the Aeroskin but I am a little disappointed in the overall fit. The passenger side of the Aeroskin is a little off compared to the driver's side. I measured both sides and the driver's side is a hair over an 1/8" taller than the passenger side. I know it is a man made product. But, it would be nice if the tolerances or measurements were a little more precise.

I've added a link to my photo album.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-2011+stx.html

Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I purchase a aeroskin smoke model. The concept is great, but as stated above the fit leaves much to be desired. I mean really off in several places. The fit was so poor that the tape pulled away from the body and allowed water and dirt to settle between the areoskin and the painted surface. Not a good condition to have with road salt and all. I called lund the manufacturer and explain the condition and the sent me a new one, same problem with that one. So I said send me a chrome (more expensive) model, the fit was much better but the chrome did not match factory chrome at all, I mean really bad. I took pictures and sent them to the mfg. They stated they are working on a new chroming process, because the orignal was a mis match. So I am still waiting with no aeroskin and three that I put in the trash. Great Idea, needs more engineering work.

To anyone that has one double check the fit and complain to the mfg. if it is not right.. Maybe it will push them to get it right.

Last edited by bkool2323; 01-20-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I have had one on my '10 since I got it new in Sept '09. I also bought it from Cabelas. I had some issues with it lifting on the inside corners this last summer. It also rubbed a small amount of paint off of the plastic grill surround due to the lifting and not precise fit. I called Aeroskin and they advised that they had changed the adhesive tape due to this problem and they sent me a new one. I managed to get the second one to fit better. I agree, I like the looks of it too. I still have the old one, minus the adhesive tape, if anyone wants to pick it up from me in KC.

Sorry to see you are still having issues Bkool, it's been 6 months? I agree, they do need to re-engineer the product.

Last edited by Pig9r; 01-20-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
The adhesive strip(s) seem to be fairly thick and it also has two small bumper stops in the center, top side, but the precise fit is a little less than desired. I will send Lund an email in the next few days.

I think that a new product should have sufficient R&D to get it correct the first time or close to it. After a few model years it should be exact or find a different manufacturer for your product.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hood Deflector?