2009 - 2014 F-150

Ugh first scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh first scratches

Well after a month of owning my truck I got the first scratches. Dropping off my daughter at my parents house this morning I was backing up in the street and took my eyes off my mirror for just a split second to say something to Emma. Well I ended up scraping the bed of the truck against the mailbox (for some reason my dad has it sticking 6" into the street ).

Left a nice white scuff mark on the tail light that I was able to buff the white out (still a slight scratch only visible up close) but the paint is something different. There are three deep scratchs about 1/4" long down to the bare metal and one 6" one through the clear.

Body shop estimates $630. They said they need to repaint half the bed and clear the whole bed to blend it. Plus the pearl coat makes it a two step process.

So pissed at myself. I know I was going to get scratches (that's why I got white to hide them better) but I didn't think I'd get anything to bare metal. The only reason I want to fix it is because I don't want rust to start building under the rest of the panel/apint.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
So sorry to hear about this. My son did something similar with a mailbox sticking out too far.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Nothing makes you more angry than when you do something like this.

Right after I bought my '09 I was packing out of a space in the garage....focused on the rear camera.....and bam, clipped the front fender into the concrete pole. $1200 in damage......most of which wad the light.

I could not even sleep that night I was so upset.

Remember.....The Lone Ranger doesn't sleep while Trigger is ill.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I hate to say it but i backed into a mailbox with my new 09 after i bought it.. those damn metal pull tabs to open the box really did a number on my tailgate.. i hated to put touch up paint in the gouge but i cant afford to pay for new paint on a tailgate

Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain.

My 2001 was scratched the first night I owned it.

My 2003 was in the freeway median at 60+ in less than a month to avoid a moron who stopped in the middle of the fast lane.

My 2005 had the windshield cracked in two places before I made the first payment.

I am thinking about keying the 2011 I plan to buy in the dealership parking lot when I pick it up to stop anything else from happening to it.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I feel your pain.

My 2001 was scratched the first night I owned it.

My 2003 was in the freeway median at 60+ in less than a month to avoid a moron who stopped in the middle of the fast lane.

My 2005 had the windshield cracked in two places before I made the first payment.

I am thinking about keying the 2011 I plan to buy in the dealership parking lot when I pick it up to stop anything else from happening to it.
Ha make sure the key the inside of the wheel wheel

Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Spend some time on it with touchup paint to keep it from rusting. If you are really careful and pay attention to detail, you may be able to get it looking pretty decent.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM
rok
My whole front end has then from offroading! Oh well had a fun time. Cleaning the truck thursday or friday hopefully and will probably drane the bottle of the turtle wax scratch and swirl remover! I guess its not so bad cause i put them there and i did it using a truck as a truck!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
will probably drane the bottle of the turtle wax scratch and swirl remover!
Drain it right down the drain. There are much better products to use. Take a peek into the detailing forum.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I just discovered that the "new car prep team" at my dealer scratched the plastic cover over the LCD screen behind the steering wheel. It's only a 2" scratch. And they Armor All'd the dash and whatever else.

I was tempted to tell the dealer "don't prep the truck" for me.

One thing is sure, my truck will get scratched up.... so I can live with it. It's just irritating.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I was backing out of a parking spot 28 hours after signing paperwork and had an old lady in an Acura back into the corner of my bumper at 45 degrees. Bumper flexed, scratched the paint right there at the corner of the rear bed, then rebounded back into place.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the war stories folks. I know it's not that bad, I just am pissed they are deep enough to get to bare metal. The body shop gave me some white touchup paint but I don't think it matches too well.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 AM
A few months ago I was backing up my trailer and couldn't see how close it was on the passengers side with the tiny manual mirrors. Backed the front corner right into the bed.

Then a few weeks later I went to get breakfast at McDonald's and pulled forward to wait for my food. When I went to pull away I turned too soon and dragged a "Watch for Pedestrians" sign they had right down the drivers side of the bed. Took it to a body shop a few months back and was quoted between 1500-1600 to repair both bed sides, and repaint them completely.

Last Fall I was backing out of my driveway and didn't see that somebody had put the garbage can out. Turn the wheel and knocked it across the street with the front fender. Put a huge dent and a bunch of scratches in it. 50 bucks at a PDR place and they popped that dent along with a few door dings out.

a couple years back when I had my Dakota I was backing out and didn't see the garbage can once again. Slammed into it with my right rear taillight. Destroyed the entire light and tossed the can across the street.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM
1500 miles on my truck, hit something blew out the driver side rear tire, and threw whatever it was into my bumper, dented it and cracked the coating. Rusted within 3 days because of salt on the road and bad weather. $760 flat tire......

Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3947 in damage - fender, door skin, headlight, wheel mouldings, new tire/wheel and corrections to front bumper rear door. An old guy, who couldn't see, in a really old vehicle at 5:30am just wanted to be in my lane while I happened to be there.

Quick Reply: Ugh first scratches