2009 - 2014 F-150

Give me the quick and dirty on the new 20111 engines... from the owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me the quick and dirty on the new 20111 engines... from the owners

Hey guys,

looking for the info on the new 2011 engines from the people driving them around. My dad is looking for a new truck and he seems to get a different opinion or answer from everyone he speaks to. Dealers seem to want to push what is on the lot rather than answering any questions. So let hear it from the guys that drive them.

He going one of 2 ways:

2011 F150 FX4 Lux or Limited Super Crew with 3.5 EB, 5.0 or 6.2

Or... what I have been trying to convince him to do...

2011 Raptor Super Crew

Just looking for some honest opinions of the engines so far. Maybe a little performance feedback, maybe a little towing feedback, maybe a little mileage feedback... whatever.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
If you think he might want a Raptor, just have him test drive one. It'll make the decision for him.

So far I'm seeing 12-13 with mine (Raptor screw), but it only has 700 miles on it...other owners indicate that improves over time, but don't count on it.

My second choice would an FX4 EB. Clean no-nonsense interior and exterior + pretty darn good mileage.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM
As far as I know the Limited only comes w/6.2. Depends on what he wants to do with the truck. Think he would be happy with any of the 3 if he determines that first. I'm very pleased with my 5.0. I drive a lot of miles each year. Pull my boat which is about 7000#, about a dozen times a summer & usually not many long trips. My 5.4 handled it fine & the 5.0 has more grunt so this works for me. Mileage so far is up 2mpg or a little more over my 5.4 so that's a bonus too. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by FUZZYDP
As far as I know the Limited only comes w/6.2. Depends on what he wants to do with the truck. Think he would be happy with any of the 3 if he determines that first. I'm very pleased with my 5.0. I drive a lot of miles each year. Pull my boat which is about 7000#, about a dozen times a summer & usually not many long trips. My 5.4 handled it fine & the 5.0 has more grunt so this works for me. Mileage so far is up 2mpg or a little more over my 5.4 so that's a bonus too. Good luck!
So what is your real world mileage.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
He will be happy with any of the 3, keep that in mind.

The 5.0 is a great well rounded motor. Good power, good torque, and it has a better powerband due to its 32v head design. It is also the cheapest of the engines.

The 6.2 is like the 5.0's big brother. It has almost the same characteristics of the 5.0 but just bigger hp/tq numbers with lower MPG ratings.

The ecoboost gets a little better gas mileage than the 5.0 with the power of the 6.2L Sure, it does not have as much horsepower as the 6.2 but if you compare the power bands of a N/A motor vs a turbo charged motor. The turbo motor will have a sharper increase in power and it will hold that power much much longer than a N/A motor. N/A motors have a slow peak and then immediately drop off. Rumor is, the ecoboost and 6.2L run neck and neck in a 1/4 mile drag race.

If your dad is into modding motors, the ecoboost is where it is at.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
So what is your real world mileage.
Averaging 16.5 - 17 around town, Houston driving. 18.5 running 73 hwy & 20 running 68 hwy. I usually set cruise + 3mph stated speed limit on hwy. If you look @ the #'s on all 3 engines there is very little that separates them except better mpg for EB & 5.0 over 6.2. I have about 1700 miles on now & have a loaded truck tool box in bed. Going to install flowmaster si/do tomorrow & see if there is any change. Probably not or maybe gain 1 mpg if lucky.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not heard of anyone on here buying a 3.7L. The 3.5L is not on dealer lots yet, and 6.2L is only available in specific, smaller volume trims. And the 2011 F-150's did not hit dealer lots until early December. At least the 6.2L was around last year and in Superdutys. The 5.0L is the volume motor, probably over 70% of F-150s.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 AM
I have a question. Is the Ecoboost engine just a 3.5 with twin turbos? Or is it a completely different engine all together?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM
I test drove a 3.7L in a reg cab STX on 12/30 and it didn't do much for my ears. The exhaust sounded like an old cannister vacuum cleaner. On the drive I noticed that it was much peppier above 3K rpm's and would definitely out run the '10 reg cab STX with the 4.6L 2V I drove an hour prior. It had a smooth engine but wasn't really much peppier than my '07 STX SuperCab with the 4.6L 2V engine before programmer and cat-back. For a good economical truck that is good on mileage I would say the 3.7L is a good choice. You can't get a feel for the 302 hp unless you get on it. If perormance and tow capability is a priority I would go with the 5.0L. I test drove and purchased the first '11 STX SuperCab from the local dealer.

Seat of the pants meter says the 5.0L has more power than the '05 Titan Crew Cab SE I once owned. The Titan is the quickest truck I've driven besides my '94 Gen. 1 Lightning until my '11 5.0L. The Hemi power comes close but the tranny shifts a little soft and the Chevy 5.3L I drove is down right slow. The Chevy didn't feel any quicker in a 5.3 LS SuperCab than my 4.6L 2V SuperCab with a programmer and cat-back.

I am averaging 16.8 mpg per vehicle computer in mixed city/highway driving on my second tank of gas. I did not check mileage on the first tank but I went about 340 miles in mixed driving. I have only gotten on the throttle twice since bringing it home so I hope the mileage gets better. I averaged 16.8-17.1 mpg in my '07 and averaged 20+ on the highway.

I do enjoy the SYNC but it's a little hard to ignore the phone when driving down the road; darn wife...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you are going to tow, don't get the Raptor or the Harley. They aren't optimized for that.

Betcha it's not your dad that wants a Raptor - I betcha that it's YOU..........

With the gas prices, especially in Canada, he will shoot himself if he gets a 6.2 for a daily driver. The 5.0 or EB is a much better choice.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3.5L Ecoboost is based on the Duratec line. I would not say it just has twin turbos on it. The bottom end is stronger than the NA 3.5L. Also, the Wiki article does not have the difference between the F-150 and other EB3.5L engine as the F-150 uses Honeywell turbos I believe.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by kris77
I have a question. Is the Ecoboost engine just a 3.5 with twin turbos? Or is it a completely different engine all together?
While it's not a completely different engine, it's definitely not just a NA 3.5 with twins.

Do yourself a favor and Google "F150 Ecoboost". You'll find tons of great articles telling you tremendously more than we can recite here, short of us doing the search for you and copying and pasting here.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. My father is hoping to make a decision over the weekend and has an appointment with a dealer tomorrow.

Originally Posted by glc
If you are going to tow, don't get the Raptor or the Harley. They aren't optimized for that.

Betcha it's not your dad that wants a Raptor - I betcha that it's YOU..........

With the gas prices, especially in Canada, he will shoot himself if he gets a 6.2 for a daily driver. The 5.0 or EB is a much better choice.
My dad is all about lifts, running 35's mods and nothing looking stock. I think the Raptor is up his alley and has caught his eye. Since he is only 53 and retired after selling his business, he has the coin as well as no work bound commute.

We have a 7x18 All aluminum enclose trailer for hauling snowmobiles, so that is something that we need to take into consideration.

One question though... Is it true that you cannot get a 6.2L in an FX4? That is what my dealer told me on the phone.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Is it true that you cannot get a 6.2L in an FX4?
Yes. The 6.2 is standard in the Raptor, Harley, and Lariat Limited. It's available in the Lariat and Platinum, max tow package required.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by F_ast
Thanks for the replies guys. My father is hoping to make a decision over the weekend and has an appointment with a dealer tomorrow.

My dad is all about lifts, running 35's mods and nothing looking stock. I think the Raptor is up his alley and has caught his eye. Since he is only 53 and retired after selling his business, he has the coin as well as no work bound commute.

We have a 7x18 All aluminum enclose trailer for hauling snowmobiles, so that is something that we need to take into consideration.

One question though... Is it true that you cannot get a 6.2L in an FX4? That is what my dealer told me on the phone.
If he likes mods get the 5.0L and throw a supercharger on it. From what i've read(on this form i think) ford made the new 5.0L to handle 6 to 8 psi of boost and still be rock solid. correct me if i'am wrong.

Quick Reply: Give me the quick and dirty on the new 20111 engines... from the owners