2009 - 2014 F-150

Delayed 1-2 shift when manual shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Delayed 1-2 shift when manual shifting

Did Ford go soft on us? When I manually shift out of 1st gear, the engine slows down, and the shift comes in like a summer breeze, then the rpms kick back up.

Not liking this drive by wire stuff.

I know that 1st gear is geared really low, and 2nd might actually chirp if it would kick in like a normal trans. Maybe Ford programmed it to shift soft when manually shifted(?)

Will a tuner eliminate this problem, or am I asking for trans problems (or warranty concerns) by taking the sissy shift away?

Anybody have the same problem OR a cure?

Thanks,

SL

Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
i noticed this in my 2011 too. a chip i would think would be able to change the main line pressure in the trans to shift harder but if you find out let me know i think it would chrip going to 2nd too

Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Does it have a trans computer that can control line pressure? If so, holy ****!

I thought it was a throttle reduction or manifold vacuum increase/ported decrease that the computer had to "see" before the shift took place.

SL

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I loved about my 6R60 with my 4.6L 3 Valve in my 2008 Sport Trac was that it held the gear, and only that gear, when it was in 1 - 3 . With other vehicles, the gear selected is only the top gear, while it'll shift all gears up to that gear, or down from that gear.

The flip side was what your describing, it was a very slow engagement, not making it worth the hassle when accelerating. It was nice for a slow take off in slick stuff and engine braking when towing a trailer down hill.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard they program the transmission that way to prevent damaging the transmission and the rearend. My understanding is when the transmission shift point happens between 1st to 2nd is also when the engine is in its 'sweet spot' of the torque band. If the line pressure is turned up, this could easily tear up the trans or rear. Imagine having a manual transmission, bringing the engine up to 5k rpm and dumping the clutch. This is very hard on the drivetrain. If you want the 2nd gear wheel chirp, I'd expect the transmission fail much sooner than expected, but I could be wrong here.

Quick Reply: Delayed 1-2 shift when manual shifting