2009 - 2014 F-150

Sync - Traffic, Directions and Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync - Traffic, Directions and Information

Not sure where to post this question. Trying this area first....

Just got the truck on 12.31.10 and I am still getting familiar with the whole sync system and syncmyride. I have "Traffic, Directions and Information" working in the truck - demo'd the day I picked it up by my very knowledgeable salesman. I actually haven't tried it myself since that day. Now, when I went into synmyride to activate it, I get a "not supported" message. I have tried to contact Sync and not heard back yet (not real confident I ever will). I am not real sure that I really need to activate it other than to get it to work the app on my Droid phone. Can anyone help?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 AM
No app necessary on your phone as the 'services' uses a phone call to gather information about weather, directions, etc.

I don't know what your salesman did while showing you the option but I had to go to syncmyride.com and set mine up. Maybe he did that bnefore you took delivery? Call and ask him. BTW... The first 3 years of 'services' are free. Not sure what it will cost after that.

I really like SYNC and especially the services options. Hope you get it working. I'm sure you'll enjoy what it offers.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Also... As I mentioned SYNC uses a phone call (it dials automatically) to access the services info. I'm assuming you know you have to have your phone paired to SYNC to make it work.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 AM
It is complimentary for three years and then $60 a year afterward. You will need to go to syncmyride and open an account. I had a rep from the dealer set me up on syncmyride with my info, email and password/login. I also received an email confirming activation.

You will need to open a account and then sync your phone bluetooth to your truck in order for it to work. The purple Sync book in the glovebox should help you with some of your questions.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 PM
When i got my the salesperson registered it for with, using my info. That should have been done while you were at the dealership. To be honest driving directions with the Sync is absolutely horrible. It has a hard time getting all of your words correctly, and if there is a tough one for it to understand, it gets very frustrating. It beeps at every turn and when coming to a turn, which mutes your music. I don't use it anymore. Just use Google maps on your Droid. it's a lot easier to use and the navigation works great too.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I've found the directions actually pretty accurate. I've done some comparisons with my Garmin and they are very close.

Yes, sometimes spoken commands confuse SYNC but I attribute that to as much operator error as anything. Once I learned what SYNC liked I've had way less problems.
Also if you know you are going somewhere in advance you can log into you account via your computer and pre-load destinations. Works great!

And yes, it mutes your radio by announcing upcoming turns . But hey, that's what its supposed to do. Ha - ha. You asked it for directions! Would you rather it keep quiet and let you drive past your turn?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM
I like the Sync services as well. I'm also just getting used to figuring the whole thing out since I just got my truck a few weeks ago.

Like someone mentioned before, you can preload directions on syncmyride.com. You can also go to Google Maps on a computer and send directions to your truck/phone. Click the send button at the top right and you get a drop down list where to send it. Choose car and then Ford and put your cell number in. Next time you start your truck it will tell you you have new directions. This send option doesn't work with the Google Maps app for Blackberry, but it may work for the Google Maps on a Droid or iPhone. I have a Blackberry, so I'm not sure if it does or not. I know the Droid's Google Map app is far better than the one's for Blackberries and iPhones though since Google makes the OS.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Is it worth the 60 bucks a year? I can buy a nice GPS for about $150 and avoid the annual payments. I think some of the GPS come with free updates for life

Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Is it worth the 60 bucks a year? I can buy a nice GPS for about $150 and avoid the annual payments. I think some of the GPS come with free updates for life
I don't know if the $60 per year would be worth it for just the directions part of "services." As you indicated, there are GPS's out there that will do directions cheaper.

I utilize weather, news & sports a whole bunch too so for me... probably.
Also the $60 includes the 911 assist feature. In comparison, I believe On-Star costs a good bit more.

Quick Reply: Sync - Traffic, Directions and Information