2009 - 2014 F-150

anyone make it to the ecoboost teardown?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone make it to the ecoboost teardown?

im ready for videos and results!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 PM
they are really putting some faith into this motor...

Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Did they use standard oil or synthetic ? I'm curious because I've been using synthetic for 15 years. At this point most oil companies make synthetic.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Captions for photos

In this photo released by Ford Motor Co., Ford Motor Co. technicians Chris Brown, left, and Chris Rahill begin disassembly of the Ford V6 EcoBoost F-150 truck engine that endured 10 years of wear and more than 165,000 miles of tough, real-world testing, Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at the North American International Auto Show, in Detroit. The teardown, performed in front of a live audience at the show, gave engineers a first-look inside the engine. The engine's internal parts showed little wear.

In this photo released by Ford Motor Co., more than 1,000 people watched Ford technicians tear down an F-150 EcoBoost engine Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, at the North American International Auto Show, in Detroit. The engine underwent 10 years of use and more than 165,000 miles of tough testing.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by mete
Did they use standard oil or synthetic ? I'm curious because I've been using synthetic for 15 years. At this point most oil companies make synthetic.
According to the transcript of the press conference they ran standard 5W-30 and followed normal Ford maintenance intervals (10,000 miles, 1 tuneup over life of engine)

They pulled down original HP and torque numbers on the dyno prior to teardown, and the wear measuremens (crank end play, etc.) were within new build specifications.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wyseilmykkar_09
According to the transcript of the press conference they ran standard 5W-30 and followed normal Ford maintenance intervals (10,000 miles, 1 tuneup over life of engine)

They pulled down original HP and torque numbers on the dyno prior to teardown, and the wear measuremens (crank end play, etc.) were within new build specifications.
Then to clarify that would be a synthetic blend oil?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Exclamation Teardown Results

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01...ooks-like.html

Here are the results .I think Ford did their homework well . I wonder how things would be with synthetic oil instead of standard.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM
i have official news, i watched them tear it apart.

when they lifted the cylinder heads off of the EcoBoost to get access to the block, they discovered that there was so much pressure and heat on the internals that pure, 100% solid awesome was created. they even had some of this awesome tested, they placed it on a spoon and gave it to Allen Mulally and the awesome was so intense that he gave the crowd the "shocker" gesture. everyone cheered because of the awesome.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by marshal
i have official news, i watched them tear it apart.

when they lifted the cylinder heads off of the EcoBoost to get access to the block, they discovered that there was so much pressure and heat on the internals that pure, 100% solid awesome was created. they even had some of this awesome tested, they placed it on a spoon and gave it to Allen Mulally and the awesome was so intense that he gave the crowd the "shocker" gesture. everyone cheered because of the awesome.

Everything looks very good after looking at pickuptrucks pictures. I wonder if most of that carbon is from the dirty Baja race? Either way I'm ready to get one and buy with confidence.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like a hit from the FoMoCo!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
What the Inside of a Tortured Ford EcoBoost V-6 Looks Like

What the Inside of a Tortured Ford EcoBoost V-6 Looks Like
(Copied from http://news.pickuptrucks.com)

Ford Motor Co. made some history over the weekend when it did a complete engine tear-down and inspection of a "torture tested" 3.5-liter EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 used in the latest F-150 at the 2011 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Auto shows, like NAIAS, typically showcase the latest metal in fancy displays bathed in brilliant lights and staffed with beautiful spokesmodels. They’re about as far as you can get from the garages that all cars and trucks will eventually require a visit to for service and maintenance. But for an hour Saturday, Ford turned part of its spotless blue and white display space inside Detroit’s Cobo Hall into a service bay for the last chapter of the F-150 EcoBoost torture test.

After Baja, the thoroughly thrashed and raced engine was shipped back to Ford headquarters in Dearborn, Mich., and dyno-tested once again. It was found to produce 364 horsepower and 420 pounds-feet of torque, just one horsepower less than its rating and exactly the same output as its nominal torque rating, according to Ford.

A leakdown test was performed to measure how well the engine’s 24 intake and exhaust valves and piston rings were still able to seal the cylinders. One cylinder was found to have a cautionary 13 percent air loss past the combustion chamber’s seals, while all other cylinders were acceptable with single digits of air leakage.

Oil pressure at idle on the dyno was normal, in the mid-40 psi range.

After the dyno, engine 448AA, which had never been opened or inspected, was shipped to the Detroit auto show where, on Saturday, it was torn down for inspection in front of a live audience of more than a thousand Ford engine enthusiasts and their families.

The teardown was narrated for the audience by Jim Mazuchowski, Ford’s chief engineer for V-6 engines. Powertrain engineer Phil Fabien explained the advantages of things like turbocharging, direct fuel injection and twin independent variable cam timing while engine technicians Chris Brown on the right bank and Chris Rahill on the left bank took the engine apart using a pair of air wrenches and hand tools.

As they went, the engine parts were laid out on three huge tables so that when the tear-down was complete, the engineers and the audience could take a closer look. During the tear-down, engineers Steve Matera, Kirk Sheffer and Jeanne Wei organized the parts and made some key measurements.

Valve lash, which measures valvetrain clearance between the camshafts and valves, was checked at 0.17 mm on the intakes and 0.38 mm on the exhausts. That’s well within normal range for both, according to Ford. Crankshaft end play was measured at 0.12 mm, also acceptable.

The timing chain, which controls valve timing and synchronizes engine operation, was still within normal tolerances. With age, a timing belt loses tension, and a hydraulically operated timing chain tensioner is used to compensate for slack. The tensioner has 10 teeth that work like a ratchet to maintain tension. The EcoBoost V-6 used three teeth, well within the timing chain’s operating specs.

We didn’t get a photo of the valves, but they had carbon deposits similar to that found (and seen in pictures) on piston combustion surfaces.

Visual inspection of the cylinder heads, twin turbos, piston crowns, ring lands, rod bearings and cylinder bores by the engineers and your correspondent showed no major signs of anomalous wear after 163,000 miles of endurance testing. The main bearings showed cosmetic grooves but not excessive wear through the metal.

Engineer Wei said each and every part would be taken back to Ford’s labs to be checked with scales, cameras, lasers, micrometers and other measuring tools to get the final details on the rich, full life of EcoBoost V-6 engine 448AA.

You can see the disassembled engine with your own eyes until Jan. 23 at NAIAS.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Looks like Ford done a good job with this motor. Did anyone read the idiotic comments posted at the bottom of the article?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah, pretty silly. I guess all those posters were FORD haters! LOL

Posted by: Mike Levine | Jan 17, 2011 11:02:04 AM
nothing but haters on these boards. You guys really need a hug.

Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
Looks like Ford done a good job with this motor. Did anyone read the idiotic comments posted at the bottom of the article?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sold

Quick Reply: anyone make it to the ecoboost teardown?