2009 - 2014 F-150

HELP please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Raptor...ok so I decided to try and turn on the lights before I start the engine and they came on fine. Any thoughts to why this is? I turned the lights on, then the engine, then drove and all fine.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Run a ground wire from the battery to each ground wire from the ballast. Thats how I cured that problem on my 05, and I have used the same kit and wiring on my 09 and 11. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks! I have yet to find a solution. I have been turning on my lights before I start the engine and it has been working fine all up until last week. Now the passenger side has been turning on then shutting right off. And sometimes both shut up. Really annoying. So your solution...just hook up a wire from the negative of the battery to each stop where the ground of the ballast is? So there will be two grounds on each side? Where can I get these wires and will they be cheap? Sorry I am just a novice at all of this. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I had a similar problem with mine. we had to switch the prongs around going into the ballast. basically reversing the polarity. It's best tested with a meter so as not to blow the ballast or the bulbs. When I turned my high beams on the would flash like police lights. took some wire swapping and the work fine.
we have a High low beam bulb so low should be the hid and high should be regular light.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 PM
It's not a grounding issue. no need to run extra wires. Its a simple fix, both side work in parallel so they both have to be wired correctly. i haven't ever pulled a set out of the box and plugged them up and they work on the first try. you just have to find the correct wire placement going from the stock connector to the ballast.
try playing with the connection on just one side. once you get it do the exact same on the other

Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 PM
So just trying to figure it out...so switch all the wiring around and such from ballast to bulb and what not on one side and see if it's good?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM
yes, there are only a few different ways they can go, but if all the wires arent going exactly the same way they will not work correctly. turning you blinker on will dim them or brights will strobe them etc..... i cant remember the exact sequence for your truck. each truck is different as well as manufacture of bulb. I reccommend Xenon. its what we use in all our trucks.
but once you find the correct wiring on one side do the other side the same and all should be well. you will always have a 10 to 15 second warm up time. the older the get the longer it takes to warm up. kind of a tell tell sign that its time to upgrade

Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Sweet thanks. I have some free time tomorrow and I'll check them out. So basically if I recall there are basically only two wires to switch from the bulb to the ballast. Is that correct? Then maybe flip the one that connects to the actual ballast itself upside down? Just trying to clarify