2009 - 2014 F-150

HELP please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP please!

I just tried to install a set of DDM Tuning 35W 6k headlights. Followed all instructions off their site and even watched a video on Youtube. Everything seemed to hook up fine but the wires were a little short and made it a hassle.

So everything was all back in place and I was so excited and guess what...they don't turn on. I double checked all the connections and it was all good to go. I'm really confused and I guess their support line is either closed for today or the weekend. Maybe some of you all can help me.

I was wondering what the little green thing clipped on one of the wires is. It was plastic and labeled FUSE. Any thoughts?

And also I noticed when I flicked on the high beams only the passenger side turned up.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really need some thoughts here.

By the way it an 09 FX4

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
i received mine 3 days ago and went to hook up and the wiring harness they sent was the wrong one. after i hooked up i turned on and only drivers worked. i could not hook up high/low plug because they didn't fit. i have 2 messages with them we will see what happens. oh also i bought the 12.50 wiring harness and it said they were 14ga wire and they r not all 20awg and 22awg.....

Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Did you plug the driver's side factory plug into anything or did it just have the passenger side plug for a "signal wire?"

Since only one side is lighting up when you turn on the highs your relay probably isn't working properly. You could try reversing the polarity but since the one light works (sorta) I don't think that's the issue.

EDIT: Give us a link to the vid and maybe I can help you some more once I've seen their style of harness.
EDIT AGAIN: Did neither light work and just the magnet moved on the passenger side or did the bulb light up? If neither bulb lit up reverse the polarity on the ballasts.

Last edited by 96grimreaper; 01-15-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM
HID's are pos/neg sensitive if they don't work swap your connection wires.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 PM
The bulbs did not light up at all but the passenger side bulb did "flick" up only when switched to high, but with no light. I left the driver side plug open and I put some electrical tape around it to seal it. The passenger side was the one with the plug into the factory. I guess I tried reversing the polarity on the passenger ballast - turned the connection upside down. Still nothing. I'm trying to find a good ground connection but these wires seem so short its hard to get something. I have everything basically stretched to its potential

Here's the vid - but not the same company - just tried to get an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LWu85Xcpk0

Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Hmmmm, I'm stumped.

Try bypassing the relay and see if the lights turn on through the power from the factory wiring. At least this way you will know if you have working bulbs/ballasts. Then we can eliminate those and move on to the relay to get the highs working.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Alright thanks so much for your help again 96grimreaper. I appreciate it. I'll get working on it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Alright well I got everything working today! I think that it was the ground connection that needed to be fixed, but I just took everything out and started over.

Now I have one concern...When I switch the lights from off to on they do not immediately come on. I then flip the switch to off and then on again and then they fire properly. The lights turn on the second go around and work fine. Any thoughts to why this is happening? Could it be the bulbs are just new and need some getting used to?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Still working out the kinks, but I keep hearing a buzzing sound coming from the driver side headlight when it's on. Is that normal? It's like an electric humming or buzzing sound. Very faint but I can hear it if I get close. Could it just be the current running through? Just wanted to know if it's normal.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pwheels
Alright well I got everything working today! I think that it was the ground connection that needed to be fixed
I told you this in the other thread you posted

Now I have one concern...When I switch the lights from off to on they do not immediately come on. I then flip the switch to off and then on again and then they fire properly. The lights turn on the second go around and work fine. Any thoughts to why this is happening? Could it be the bulbs are just new and need some getting used to?
They have to warm up first. It takes about 10-15 seconds to get to full discharge. Don't hot-start them like that when you don't have to. It's not good for the ballasts

Still working out the kinks, but I keep hearing a buzzing sound coming from the driver side headlight when it's on. Is that normal? It's like an electric humming or buzzing sound. Very faint but I can hear it if I get close. Could it just be the current running through? Just wanted to know if it's normal.
Thats normal- keep in mind these are 20,000 volts of A/C power using to charge a gas. Pretty high-powered stuff.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry Raptor but I am real new to all of this so bare with me here

But what do you mean when you say do not hot start them?

It may be a relay issue but when I first turn them on they flash then shut completely off and do not turn back on. Then I try a second time and they flash again but then do the 10-15 second warm up to full power. Sometimes however only the driver side turns on.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
I think what Raptor is saying is turn your lights on and be patiant for 10-15 seconds while the ballast are powering up.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Ya I've tried that on the first time but they don't ever seem to come on. So I turn them off again and then on one more time and then they work. Tonight I have to do it three times.

First - Off to on - flashed then off
Second - Off to on - driver flashed then warmed up only
Third - Off to on - driver and passenger flash then warm up and good to go

Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Ya I've tried that on the first time but they don't ever seem to come on. So I turn them off again and then on one more time and then they work. Tonight I have to do it three times.

First - Off to on - flashed then off
Second - Off to on - driver flashed then warmed up only
Third - Off to on - driver and passenger flash then warm up and good to go
Sounds like a ground issue. I used self tapping screws, 1 0n each of the ground rings directly into core support area. My DDM's work great so far.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hm. Could be a voltage issue. Let your truck run for a few minutes. I remember my first day installing HIDs. I was playing with them before installing and after installed they would keep flicking on and off. I was panicking for hours unplugging things, redoing wires, etc before I tried to start the truck and all I got was a clunk If the voltage isnt an issue, check grounds. Protip: OEM grounds are the best. If need be, get some 16gau wiring from AutoZone, splice it and find the nearest ground (the shorter the better).

Hot starts are when you start them up, shut them off, and start them up right away. Give it a few seconds.