2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Platinum-New Headlights (Smoked Projector Beam HID w/LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you shopping headlights/HIDs... Just in case you missed the write-up and pics of a 2009-2010 retrofit, here's the link. Always nice to have options. This one Looks good! Maybe smoke em' to tame down the chrome? I dunno. Maybe they just look so freaky I just have to get use to them. But I DO like em' tho.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...isons-too.html

Last edited by casedog; 01-18-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Has anybody done a 2009+ quad bi-xenon retrofits? I've seen a regular bi-xenon retrofit done and that projector looks kind of strange in the center of the reflector.
Im actually planning to do a harley headlight+double FX-R conversion, since my 55W head + 35W fog combo from DDM went to hell completely yesterday(fogs broke down first, now heads not working ether=(( -> my post about it(https://www.f150online.com/forums/4463481-post102.html)
What do You think, guys?

Last edited by Lusso; 01-19-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lusso
Has anybody done a 2009+ quad bi-xenon retrofits? I've seen a regular bi-xenon retrofit done and that projector looks kind of strange in the center of the reflector.
Im actually planning to do a harley headlight+double FX-R conversion, since my 55W head + 35W fog combo from DDM went to hell completely yesterday(fogs broke down first, now heads not working ether=(( -> my post about it(https://www.f150online.com/forums/4463481-post102.html)
What do You think, guys?
Personally, from my experience (I'm the guy with the regular bi-xenon retrofit), there is not enough room in the stock housing to do this. You may be able to make it work with a lot of cutting, but I just don't think it's feasible. But if you do it, please post up a thread on it. Options are always good.

Oh, and casedog, thank you for the compliment on my retrofit. I also understand that an opinion is a beautiful thing, we all have our own and at the end of the day, they don't all have to agree. I saw your lights online before you did yours; I personally like the lights, just not the smoke look on a brighter colored platinum. I probably would of done a clear version, but just like you said you would need to get used to mine, I would need to get used to yours. It's just another thing to make each of our trucks unique

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You wont be able to fit two in each housing.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Ok, so maybe not FX-Rs. Maybe Minis. Would definitely mean lots of cutting and all, but still... Going to get all the measurements from Retrofit Solutions first anyways, and see how mush space I can get behind the headlight. 2009+ lights seem to be pretty big so, we'll see...
Im broke now anyways, so will stick to exchanging the DDMs crap ballasts and getting my headlights to work for now(went back to stock headlights + Raptor 35W ballasts on fogs).
SportTractoF150 -thumbs up for such a good looking 2009+ retrofit. Ur lights look great, but it just seems to me that the is enough space in there for 2 smaller projectors=)
So Im planning to start around may - now $ is slow.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Has anybody come across a nice aftermarket 09+ foglight?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Casedog-

Back to your head lights. One, I like them. I realize you think the 55w would be better but how do the 35w's compare to stock now that you have had them installed a while. What was install time? I am figuring there is some wiring needed for the led's and the halo's, yes?

Thanks.

Now, get a rattlecan of satin black rustoleum and get those rear wheel wells painted.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Casedog-

Back to your head lights. One, I like them. I realize you think the 55w would be better but how do the 35w's compare to stock now that you have had them installed a while. What was install time? I am figuring there is some wiring needed for the led's and the halo's, yes?

Thanks.

Now, get a rattlecan of satin black rustoleum and get those rear wheel wells painted.
It actually took me over three hours. Kinda long i know, but I took my time. Yes, you have to splice the LEDs and Halos into the small marker light on the side. Or you could tie in to the constant power-feed to the turn signals. Twist all the positives together and negatives together from the LEDs n halos and splice in with whatever wire connector you prefer.

You also need to find a close spot to mount the ballasts if using HIDs. Then you need to cut access to the HID bulb for the extra HID wires. Some cut a slit in the side of the rubber boot on the back of the new headlights but I actually cut a hole in the boot used the supplied rubber grommet.

Light output for the low beam (HIDs) is better. Not drastically. Could be the difference in using the retrofits, i dunno. 55w kit will help though. The hi-beams (halogens) are considerably better. I think the reflectors are more tothank for that then the bulbs that some in the highs. There is a trick to getting the cutoff line forthe HIDs so just IM me if you get these lights.

Iknow, i know.... paint the wheel wells, lol. And dont forget, come up with something for the orange mirror reflectors too! Im working on both.

Last edited by casedog; 01-20-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Just looked up pics in your gallery. Lowbeam cutoff looks good, I suppose You dont get flashed at all. Im also looking for some projector fog lights atm - let me know if You find anything decent. Very nice looking truck!

Last edited by Lusso; 01-22-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 AM
So here is MY story...

I bought this same kit but with Chrome. Also with 35w HID. I still have my 55w HID's in a box since I removed them from my 2009 F150 Lariat. I was getting too many oncoming cars flashing me.

So I did some much needed MODS to the Retro fit kit.

I yanked out each of the 5 led's from each side. I replaced them with a true white LED from a very very bright aftermarket LED light bar. That light bar had 12 LED's each. Three Led's plus a resister made up a circuit. I wired in 5 of those LED's into the same sockets on the Spyder retro kit. The sixth LED will go somewhere... not sure yet... Its needed to complete the circuit.

I really want to re-work the stupidly dim LED HALO rings. What they did was take an LED and dump it down and shine in against a plastic ring that in hazed, so that it reflects the (dim) light. Mush like a hazed ice cube will emit an image of light as opposed to a crystal clear ice cube only allowing all light to pass through it.

The issue is that the Spyder kit, although very well built (except for the stupidly dim LED's) does not permit easy access to the halo rings.

I could heat the retro kit and pry off the clear lens but that seems problematic and chances of breakage or a bad seal when done is great.

I could cut into the rear shell with a dremel tool, but that is unproven and not so easy.

If I find that these 35w HIDs are too low, I could always insert the 55w ones I still have. The Spyder retro kit projector may help a lot with not blinding oncoming cars with the 55w.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
And you're right. I love name calling, I can't afford the lift and mud tires with exhaust so I have to extrude my lack of size some other way.
sorry reading that one comment just doesnt seem right at all there

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Sopher - Did You finish that conversion? Can You post pics on progress?
Im saving $ for a quad-bixenon conversion and Im starting to think, that this light is actually something that will work better. than messing with OEM Harley lights.
Thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Sopher
So here is MY story...

I bought this same kit but with Chrome. Also with 35w HID. I still have my 55w HID's in a box since I removed them from my 2009 F150 Lariat. I was getting too many oncoming cars flashing me.

So I did some much needed MODS to the Retro fit kit.

I yanked out each of the 5 led's from each side. I replaced them with a true white LED from a very very bright aftermarket LED light bar. That light bar had 12 LED's each. Three Led's plus a resister made up a circuit. I wired in 5 of those LED's into the same sockets on the Spyder retro kit. The sixth LED will go somewhere... not sure yet... Its needed to complete the circuit.

I really want to re-work the stupidly dim LED HALO rings. What they did was take an LED and dump it down and shine in against a plastic ring that in hazed, so that it reflects the (dim) light. Mush like a hazed ice cube will emit an image of light as opposed to a crystal clear ice cube only allowing all light to pass through it.

The issue is that the Spyder kit, although very well built (except for the stupidly dim LED's) does not permit easy access to the halo rings.

I could heat the retro kit and pry off the clear lens but that seems problematic and chances of breakage or a bad seal when done is great.

I could cut into the rear shell with a dremel tool, but that is unproven and not so easy.

If I find that these 35w HIDs are too low, I could always insert the 55w ones I still have. The Spyder retro kit projector may help a lot with not blinding oncoming cars with the 55w.

I agree, the LEDs and Halos are too dim. Im not big on the halos anyway so that wasn't a big loss for me but I'd like to see the pics of how your other LEDs look that you replace (although pics of a lights brightness are REALLY deceiving).

Just to level set, the Spyder lights are not called "retro-fit". Most guys are referring to the modifying of the stock light housing to accept projectors lenses when they say "retro-fit". The spyder-lights are commonly referred to as "drop-in" kits/lights. Just clarifying because sometimes it can get a bit confusing.

Also, your 55w HID kit that fit your stock headlights, wont fit these lights unless you used some conversion kit originally. The spyder lights are H1 bulbs which is different than stock. And you will still need to modify (use a spacer) to get the cutoff line I achieved even with the 35w kit. Shoot me a message if I can help.

Post some pics man.

Last edited by casedog; 03-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I got mine and installed them last week. Light output is OK at best, they might go back up on eBay and I will do the retrofit. The fit and finish on the drivers side is great but there is a gap of 1/2" on the passenger side that is driving me crazy, next to the bumper. Overall they are pretty good.

Using the advice I got from Casedog the cutoff is very nice with little glare but I had to move mine up to get the light down the road. From the factory they were almost pointing to the ground. Now I want to get the wiring harness from retrofit for now as I fear for my factory wiring harness. Also I don't like the halo rings or the LED's so I didn't hook those up.

Hard to see but they are on here in the middle of the day.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by casedog
On that note, if you want to get in to PROPER way of doing things.... Have you EVER seen a STOCK HID equiped car with HIDs for brights (Bi-Xenons)?
raptor.. you forgot one.. BMW use both BI-Xenons for Hi/LO and a reflector for Flash to pass..

Quick Reply: 2010 Platinum-New Headlights (Smoked Projector Beam HID w/LEDs)