2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 VS EB in lifted applications

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duplicate deleted

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 01-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
How about neither? I thought you said you learned your lesson from your current one.

Buy EB and keep it stock height.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
If I were to get a new F150 anytime soon, I'd go EB with a 4" lift and 33" tires. Not nearly the power loss, still a badass look and just as capable off the pavement, and still decent mileage. Luckily I don't need a new truck anytime soon.

But for you FX4life, with the amount we see you put into mods, maybe the 5.0 with a supercharger is the option to look into.

That will likely never happen again...my over spending on the current truck and eagerness to have everything aftermarket I could was great when I was doing the whole show circuit thing, but I have since dropped out of that. Moved on to having more of a life instead of spending all I could on a truck and skimping on everything else.

I'd love to build another one but smaller, say 6" or less like you mentioned msall. But like BlueGreenF150 said, I have learned a lot the expensive way on this current truck and will probably leave this one stock for a while since I'm keeping the current rig too. I can never leave a stock vehicle alone for long though, I can say I won't modify it but my track record proves otherwise. The current truck is just the most elaborate I have ever done.

This thread wasn't necessarily for myself, just a place to debate the subject since one of the most common things done to trucks is to lift them somehow. There is so much talk about MPG's and those threads are great, but I love more to talk about modifying vehicles!

Last edited by FX4life; 01-17-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I see the EB as a better choice for lifting it and pulling the mass, but look at the demographics: the people who do such a thing also swear the V8 is the best engine ever made and paint their Magnaflow Rockstars black and lift it higher than the moon

Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
let me put it this way, if they offered the raptor with an Ecoboost option, id pick it over the 6.2L

Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I would get the FX4 with the EcoBoost and 4.10's....throw on a set of 33 or 35"s and really not have to worry about regearing. With the Torque and factory 4.10's upsizing to a larger tire is a no brainer and should be able to keep decent gas mileage.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I'm just curious to see what everyone else thinks? So, EB or 5.0 in a lifted application; why or why not?
For a lifted everyday driver? Ecoboost. More low end power. More power for towing. More power to hold gears. More everyday power. More power where you use it 99% of the time. More power. More economy when you don't need more power.

For building an insane show truck or expensive weekend toy? Supercharged 6.2.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Drdudsads
F-250 with 6.7 diesel, just do it! Than no need to worry about will the truck do this, make that and such. I have been going over the whole what F150 motor option should I go with. For a few bucks more a diesel is where I will be, as I'm not working this hard for nothing.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Desert Racer
F-250 with 6.7 diesel, just do it! Than no need to worry about will the truck do this, make that and such. I have been going over the whole what F150 motor option should I go with. For a few bucks more a diesel is where I will be, as I'm not working this hard for nothing.
This may derail the thread, but LMAO at a few bucks more. Just the diesel option is 6 or 8 thousand dollars now. A similarly equipped F250 has got to be close to 10k more than the F150.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TX Chris
This may derail the thread, but LMAO at a few bucks more. Just the diesel option is 6 or 8 thousand dollars now. A similarly equipped F250 has got to be close to 10k more than the F150.

That is kinda what I was thinking... I would LOVE to have a new 6.7 PSD, but can't justify it at all (initial cost, fuel cost and maintenance cost). If I had the funds to buy it then make a lifted monster out of it that would be great, but I'd be looking probably 100k in the hole when i was done. Then I would need a daily driver that was easy on regular gas since diesel here is nearly $4 a gallon and rising steadily.

More power to those that can afford loaded PSD's, they sure are sweet trucks!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
It is. Not to mention a SD diesel is more $ to upkeep and is a royal pita to drive daily. Parking, u-turns, traffic, etc. all more of a pita. I drive those things all the time at work and they truly are one hell of a work horse but for a personal vehicle....no thanks. Unless I'm pulling a huge boat or camper and just have to have that sort of capability. F150's do just about anything most of us really do. Not knocking the SD, but they are a real different animal for a daily driver.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Drdudsads
The superduty is my opinion on the whole what f150 motor combo with these mods will suit me. Yes the F250 is roughly 6-10k more in options yet me as myself a person feel I owe it to me for my hard work in school and as in life has earned it. Can I afford it? Heck can we afford what we have now in life? I'm bitting the bullet an going to make it work as "no" does not exist to me. Who says you need to mod it the next day? Drive it stock for a year or two and than mod or use that money to pay it off quicker. My motto is if you want something bad enough you will find a way to get what you want the legal way here LOL.

On the F150 for you FX I say the 6.2 or Ecoboost. I'm hesitant on the Ecoboost as it is a V6 yet turbo'ed. Sure it will get the job done yet for how long? I know they have tested these motors in countless different ways and variations. Yet no two things are the same and their is always something coming up or a flaw maybe, just who knows. For the money if I had to spend on a new f150 would be on the 6.2 and suck up my pride about a v6 being able to compete with me. As me personally feel a full size should have a v8 and the biggest one at that time in the truck. Not here to start arguments or go back and forth. This is me and my advice, accept it or leave it, take it with a grain of salt to wipe it off or add to the mix.

Quick Reply: 5.0 VS EB in lifted applications