2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 VS EB in lifted applications

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 VS EB in lifted applications

Hopefully I'm not the only one who is impatiently awaiting the EB's so I can make a final decision which new motor I'd like to have; but at the same time I can't wait to make some modifications, specifically to the appearance.

I have had this conversation with several members in other threads and with a few people off-site about which they would prefer in a lifted application since many of us will do something from level to build a monster. Many seem to lean towards the 5.0 for reliability, keeping power up, and probably less haggle with the warranty.

I would love to have the EB in a lifted setting (pushing 35-37" tires possibly) in hopes it still had great power and might keep up decent mileage (13-16, maybe). I worry about the V6 working double time to push around the added weight and then having to get the tire size changed or tuned to adjust for gear/tire sizes effecting the EB warranty.

There are no doubts that the 5.0 would have no problem being lifted, no problem being tuned and would still have decent power and decent mileage for a lifted setting (thinking 12-14 maybe).

I'm just curious to see what everyone else thinks? So, EB or 5.0 in a lifted application; why or why not?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm more curious on why people think the EB is weak. 420lb-ft is just that, 420lb-ft with a ultra flat curve. The 5.0 is making 380lb-ft and 5 LESS horsepower in stock form. The EB is direct injected and in a roundabout way is just as tunable as a diesel. Take a look at what Livernois has done with the SHO.. http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=2046

Innovative diesel is also ready..... "We have an Ecoboost F150 on order and we will be tuning them. The processor is encrypted, like the 6.7L, but we'll get them dialed in. There's a lot of safe potential in the tuning, just like the current SHO, Flex, and Lincoln counterparts. Tuning looks similar to the current Ecoboost from the early release code, with the exception of encryption."

Plus with SCT based custom tunes you download the stock program and store it. Then upload the custom tune. Anything goes wrong , just download the stock tune and take it in. Should be no different from the 5.0L tunes.

Last edited by hydro1; 01-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only concern I can think of with the Ecoboost is if you want to install a body lift. On diesel trucks, the extra plumbing for turbo/intercooler systems make body lifts a real pain. I can see this being a similar problem on the Ecoboost.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
I'm more curious on why people think the EB is weak. 420lb-ft is just that, 420lb-ft with a ultra flat curve. The 5.0 is making 380lb-ft and 5 LESS horsepower in stock form. The EB is direct injected and in a roundabout way is just as tunable as a diesel. Take a look at what Livernois has done with the SHO.. http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=2046

Innovative diesel is also ready..... "We have an Ecoboost F150 on order and we will be tuning them. The processor is encrypted, like the 6.7L, but we'll get them dialed in. There's a lot of safe potential in the tuning, just like the current SHO, Flex, and Lincoln counterparts. Tuning looks similar to the current Ecoboost from the early release code, with the exception of encryption."

Plus with SCT based custom tunes you download the stock program and store it. Then upload the custom tune. Anything goes wrong , just download the stock tune and take it in. Should be no different from the 5.0L tunes.
I'm with Hydro on this one. Who gives a rats *** how many cylinders it has? The torque curve alone should sell the masses on this motor...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
The Eco should be a fun motor for the tuners (can play with the turbo/boost out put much like a diesel). i think it will blow the 5.0 out of the water. The 6.2 might be a good alternative in a lifted monter though. With the bigger tires the mpgs will probably be about the same as the 5.0 lifted mpgs.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see why the EB wouldn't be able to handle the bigger tires. With the proper gears and tune it should do fine I would think.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by hydro1

There enlies the problem, yes they all save the stock program but you leave a footprint each time you reflash tunes so they know it has been tuned. It depends a lot on the dealer whether they are mod friendly or not. I have been taken to the cleaners by a dealer over the damn injectors on my 05 because they knew I had a tuner. It didn't matter I had turned it back to stock tune and intake, I got to eat the bill even after a lengthy battle with them over the injected being a factory issue and that they couldn't prove the modifications caused the failure.

That is cool to see a diesel tuner taking interest in the EB!

I'm still in for an ecoboost more than likely, just wanted to see how everyone else felt about it since many of us just can't drive vehicle in stock condition.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by mstang66guy
The Eco should be a fun motor for the tuners (can play with the turbo/boost out put much like a diesel). i think it will blow the 5.0 out of the water. The 6.2 might be a good alternative in a lifted monter though. With the bigger tires the mpgs will probably be about the same as the 5.0 lifted mpgs.
No way! A motor that gets considerably less fuel mileage in stock form isn't going to magically handle the additional rotating mass that much more efficiently than the 5.0. The 6.2 will still get terrible mileage compared to the 5.0 (or EB), even if each vehicle is lifted with 37" tires.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The EcoBoost comes with a beefier rear end than the 5.0L

Old 01-17-2011, 04:47 PM
While I hope your are correct, that is not confirmed... yet. Its one mans word from factory line. No proof.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
An EB with a good intake and exhaust will produce gobs of torque and hp, even without a tune.. I would imagine this "turbo lag" people are complaining about will virtually disappear with exhaust.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
disels are great mpg OUT of boost. I imagine if the eb needs boost to move the trucxk well most of the time, it will do it well but mpg will suffer more than the 5.0

Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
disels are great mpg OUT of boost. I imagine if the eb needs boost to move the trucxk well most of the time, it will do it well but mpg will suffer more than the 5.0
You're forgetting it (EB) makes 420lb-ft at 2500 rpm. That's barely on the throttle. The 5.0 makes 380 at 4250rpm. The EB will not need to work nearly as hard as the 5.0 to get the weight going. You guys need to get the "V-8 is beefy and brawny" theory out of your heads. Power is power and the EB doesn't need to be on the wick to make it. If you're matting it from every stop and pulling full boost yes, it will probally drink more fuel. Plus the EPA figures prove the EB is more fuel efficient than the 5L.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM
the ECO is gonna be better. 5.0 has less power in the range you will be in the most, BELOW 3-4K. that is pretty much the sweet spot for the eco. the 5.0 is gonna hunt for gears and need to be in the higher RPMS when you hit an incline or want to get up to speed a little better. the eco will take "less effort" to achieve any of these. the only way i see the eco really being effected is by treating it like a drag car.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 PM

If I were to get a new F150 anytime soon, I'd go EB with a 4" lift and 33" tires. Not nearly the power loss, still a badass look and just as capable off the pavement, and still decent mileage. Luckily I don't need a new truck anytime soon.

But for you FX4life, with the amount we see you put into mods, maybe the 5.0 with a supercharger is the option to look into.

Quick Reply: 5.0 VS EB in lifted applications