2009 - 2014 F-150

Are the other engines as "tough" as Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the other engines as "tough" as Ecoboost?

After reading and watching all the info regarding the Ecoboost torture test and teardown, it appears to be a tough engine. This was a good move on Ford's part to prove this engine can take abuse.

It got me thinking though...

Would their other engines be the same? I mean, if they pulled a 5.4L or 5.0L at random and torture tested it, would it hold up just the same? My thinking is YES, it would.

So, although this extensive testing was all about Ecoboost, I think it may just speak to how tough the engines are now in general.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
DjG
Technical Article Contributor
Absolutely, I believe all the engines you can get on the 09-11 will be as tough as the ecoboost engine.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Even better I think. The other two engines wouldn't be able to keep up with the EB in terms of the torture it did (12K pounds for 24 hours @ 80 mph) but no doubt the 5.0L would be the better between that and the 5.4L. Ford just did this to prove their direct injection, turbo, Ti-VCT engine, which is quite a leap in technology for one engine.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by seadragon
It got me thinking though...

Would their other engines be the same? I mean, if they pulled a 5.4L or 5.0L at random and torture tested it, would it hold up just the same? My thinking is YES, it would.

What do you guys think?
I think this was more to relieve anyone's doubts about a twin turbo small displacement engine in a full size pickup. Sure you can do this same test with any fullsize V8 and the engine would survive just fine, thats why you see work trucks out there with 300k miles on them. Its more that the Ecoboost is the first of its kind in a fullsize pickup, people might be skeptical (and if you read around this forum alone, you will find many opinions like "oh I wonder how the boosted engine will hold up to abuse" etc).

You could do this same test with the 5.0, 5.4, hell even the competition's V8 engines and they should all hold up fine. Will they perform as well as the ecoboost? Maybe not, but they will surely survive. Modern engines are built to last and in this day and age its more often other components in the drivetrain that fail before the engine does (tranny, transfer case, differentials etc).

Quick Reply: Are the other engines as "tough" as Ecoboost?