2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost heading my way!!!! (And thanks to folks here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Super FX4
The only upgrades you get with the Max Tow Package is:

Trailer Brake Controller is standard
Upgraded Rear Bumper
Manual Telescoping Tow Mirrors
Plus at least 350 pounds more payload, which is more important than any of the above.

6500 pound trailer (is that the dry rating which will be 7500-8000 pounds ready to travel?) means about 900 pounds of tongue weight. Family of 4, 500 pounds. That is 1400 pounds which is about all most F-150's have available. Haven't put anything in the bed yet.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgraded Rear Bumper

A standard Tow Package will tow much more than 5,000lbs. Ford would have downgraded their towing capacity if that was true.
Yep, sorry I made a mistake there.

However, the max tow gives you heavier rear springs which allow you to tow more.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Yep, sorry I made a mistake there.

However, the max tow gives you heavier rear springs which allow you to tow more.
I would think that they would specify that as part of the package because that would be a big deal and for better marketing.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Just got word that my truck was just released, so wasn't really "on the way" yet. Now the ETA is Feb 11. Here's the specs since I can't post pics yet:

Lariat CrewCab 5.5'
3.5L TT V6 (sounds better than "Ecoboost")
Red Candy Metallic CC
Adobe Leather 40/20/40
Lariat Plus pkg
Max Towing pkg
"man" step

There is a Truxedo Truxport soft roll-up tonneauu and a Bedrug already in my garage waiting for it. OK, well waiting for the next 1/2 decent day to install them.

And I have a set of 5" chrome step tubes ordered.

I can't wait to see it all together (and to drive and drive and drive....)

-John

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Upgraded Rear Bumper

A standard Tow Package will tow much more than 5,000lbs. Ford would have downgraded their towing capacity if that was true.
I want everything but those HUGE mirrors. The upgraded bumper would be nice. If it has heavier springs, that would be nice too. I dont need the trailer brake controller or the big mirrors. Just would like to have the other stuff for everyday hauling.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by kris77
I want everything but those HUGE mirrors. The upgraded bumper would be nice. If it has heavier springs, that would be nice too. I dont need the trailer brake controller or the big mirrors. Just would like to have the other stuff for everyday hauling.
Trust me... after you drive a few weeks with those HUGE mirrors, you will throw stones at those standard sissy little flippers they call mirrors. I've been driving with them on Super Duties since 1999, and now on my second F-150 with them. I tow, yes, but for daily driving you can see ALOT more.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by kris77
I wish you could order the tow mirrors without having to get all that other "Max Tow" shtuff... Those mirrors will be nice in Rush hour traffic...

If Ford really wanted to make some money, they could offer a $900 package of only Tow mirrors WITH power fold... I bet they would sell a ton of them.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged
If Ford really wanted to make some money, they could offer a $900 package of only Tow mirrors WITH power fold... I bet they would sell a ton of them.
Now that I would take, those big, ugly, non-folding mirrors are the reason I did not get the max-tow package. I use the powerfold a whole lot more than I would use the uber-large mirrors. I have never had a problem seeing out of the power folding mirrors on my 2005 so I suspect it will not be an issue on my 2011. If I pulled a large travel trailer that might change but the boats and car haulers I normally pull do not cause a problem at all.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If Ford ever makes the tow mirrors power fold like the F250, my credit card will be on the parts counter at the nearest dealership like a fat kid on cake.

Seriously, I WANT those mirrors. Having driven an '11 SD with the power extend/fold and our '10 KR with the regular power fold, its no contest. Even with the **** mirrors, still, no contest. Id settle for just power fold, not even power extend like the F250 has.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 AM
I wish you could order the tow mirrors without having to get all that other "Max Tow" shtuff... Those mirrors will be nice in Rush hour traffic...

You can, but they are about 200 a piece installed. I asked my local parts guy about this last week, and he said the harness is the same between the two types. Up to you if it's worth the cost, but I'm considering it. I can always sell the stock mirrors on eBay, and recoup some of my costs.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by JohnnyCashAK
You can, but they are about 200 a piece installed. I asked my local parts guy about this last week, and he said the harness is the same between the two types. Up to you if it's worth the cost, but I'm considering it. I can always sell the stock mirrors on eBay, and recoup some of my costs.
Really? So for about $400 installed, I can skip the $950 option of Max tow, and get the $350 (regular) tow and save ~$200?

KEWL!

One thing - I thought I had read the Super duty mirrors have a different mounting bracket. Are these mirrors (you found) bolt up, or do they need some "creative engineering" (AKA, Jerry-rigging) to get them to mount? NTTARWT...

Edit - Are you talking about the non-power fold tow mirrors, or the Super-duty power fold tow mirrors?

Last edited by Jerry-rigged; 02-03-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.erinwoodford.com/view.php?ID=8778

MY TRUCK! thats pretty mych what i want right there!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Got my ecoboost 2 days ago, getting windows tinted right now and getting the new Linex lining Tuesday. It is sweet!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:18 PM
congrats! where is the thread with pics and such!? what kind of mileage are YOU (as a real owner) getting?

Quick Reply: Ecoboost heading my way!!!! (And thanks to folks here)