2009 - 2014 F-150

To Supercab or to Supercrew, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a SCrew with 6.5' bed. I wouldn't change that for anything. I had a 1992 Toyota, extended cab, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab, 2004 Explorer and now a 2010 F150 SCrew and it has the most space for everything (people, cargo, you name it) out of all of them.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I was in the same dilema when I bought my truck in November. It came down to price and the size of my garage for me. The 09-10 Scab has plenty of room in the back for passengers under 6' tall. Also a baby seat fits in the back of a scab (barely) so for small kids it will be fine.

In short I love my scab. I will step up to a supercrew or expedition (I wish they still made the excursion) eventually when I have the need and my kid gets big enough to warrant the extra room.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I love threads like these. You literally have 2 choices, but look at all the opinions. Lots of things to consider. It is food for though to say the least.

I originally was going to be a Super Cab thinking it would be cheaper to buy and offer enough room for my wife, dog, and I. After shopping a bit, I found better offers on Super Crews making the price difference minimal. There were also very few Super Cabs figured how I wanted them and a ton of Super Crews on the lots in general which is probably one of the reasons why dealers were offering better discounts. If you really want a Super Cab, that does not mean you aren't going to be able to get a great deal on a 2010. If you go with a 2011 model, you will have the option of ordering a truck just how you like it.

In terms of functionality, both configurations offer advantages. Obviously, the SCrew is better for passengers and not quite as good for really large, bulky, or dirty items that you don't want in the cab. I like having the extra storage space inside the truck that is locked and out of the weather. Even with the dog in the back, there is still plenty of room for my wife's luggage and mine for a few day long trip.

Even with the 5.5 foot bed, you'll easily haul 8 foot long lumber and it will only hang off the end of the tailgate 8-10 inches.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I originally made the decision to go with a supercrew back in 2000....and have had one ever since. To me, the extra interior space makes it worth the cost. Even if I don't have people in the back, the dog does appreciate it and it is nice to have a locked, climate controlled area to keep stuff. The 2011 will make the 5th F150 Supercrew I have owned {2001, 2003, 2005, 2008 and now waiting on the 11 to come in]....I found it is the only way to go....

Woof
Bowser

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Supercrews are for families. I am single and will get a lot more use out of the 6.5' bed than a larger interior. In fact, can you actually load a dirt bike and close the tailgate with a 5.5' bed? This is a truck not a minivan.

I also think Supercabs look a whole lot better than any crew cab. Too much enclosed space up front and the truck's look awkward as a result.

Also, I'll take forward opening suicide doors over rear opening doors any day. I can place items into the extended cab without having to walk around the rear opening door. Very convenient.

Greg

Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
I have no intention of carrying passengers and don't want to encourage them. Just me and my wife and some of our stuff and maybe tow my race car plus I like how the supercab looks anyway.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Greg Matty
Supercrews are for families. I am single and will get a lot more use out of the 6.5' bed than a larger interior. In fact, can you actually load a dirt bike and close the tailgate with a 5.5' bed? This is a truck not a minivan.
Or, get the best of both worlds and get a SCrew with a 6.5' bed...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Rotax
I have no intention of carrying passengers and don't want to encourage them. Just me and my wife and some of our stuff and maybe tow my race car plus I like how the supercab looks anyway.
Looks like you made you're decision then, its about personal preference. Personally I've always liked the screws, this is my second. Even though i was single with my first and have only added a wife since its nice to have the room if needed, but it holds more groceries in the back then people.

But I do love my 6.5ft bed on a screw, its long but that's ok for me.

Plus the ladys love the screw, and she wouldn't look as good on 5.5ft bed.

But get your scab, sounds like that's what you want.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 01-21-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Even though you've already made your mind up on a Scab I'd hands down have to say a screw. To any of you that think the scab looks better than a screw. You're off your rocker. But to each their own. Only trucks IMO that look better per say scab than screw would be chevy(older models 99-07) with their extended cabs looking considerably better than the crew cabs. With ford Screw over Scab any day

You could always just get one of the new HD's and not have a choice of scab then it wouldn't be that hard

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM
I've had 5 regular cab trucks, 4 super cab trucks and one crew cab (super crew) truck. Each truck had it's good and not so good aspects. Supercab's are nice if you are single or have one or two small children that you carry occasionally. I purchased a Crew Cab Titan in '05 with the intention of carrying more than 2 adult's on a semi-regular basis. I really didn't use it for the reason I purchased it. It was nice when I had my 2 brother's, 2 son's and father-in-law packed in it and we spent the day hitting several outdoor and sporting good's stores. Other than that one time I never carried more than three people in it at any given time.

My '07 and my '11 STX Super Cab(s) have plenty of backseat room for groceries, suitcases, my car parts, and the seat fold's up to make even more room on the floor. My latest precious cargo is my three year old grand-daughter.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 01-21-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 01-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Greg Matty

I also think Supercabs look a whole lot better than any crew cab. Too much enclosed space up front and the truck's look awkward as a result.

Also, I'll take forward opening suicide doors over rear opening doors any day. I can place items into the extended cab without having to walk around the rear opening door. Very convenient.

Greg
You still will not be able to close the tail gate on the dirtbike w/6.5ft unless you let the air out of the tires. It is actually better to have the 5.5ft bed because the rear tires sit dead center of the tailgate. With the 6.5ft, your taligate will be bouncing all over the place going down the road.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
Even though you've already made your mind up on a Scab I'd hands down have to say a screw. To any of you that think the scab looks better than a screw. You're off your rocker. But to each their own. Only trucks IMO that look better per say scab than screw would be chevy(older models 99-07) with their extended cabs looking considerably better than the crew cabs. With ford Screw over Scab any day

You could always just get one of the new HD's and not have a choice of scab then it wouldn't be that hard
Looks are subjective, but I think the Screw, 5.5' (145) looks awkward - too much SUV, not enough truck. The Screw 6.6' (157) looks nice... The Scab 6.6 just looks Right, though, what a truck should be.

My last truck was a Scab. I bought it when my Family was just me, Wife + 1 kid. It was perfect - I didn't want anything bigger. Now, the kids have multiplied to three- two in car seats and a pre-teen. No way would a Scab work, so my plan is for a Scab, 6.6. I NEED the Screw, but if I didn't I would get the Scab, no question.

As far as Scab vs regular cab, I agree with the others - the extra cab space is really nice for "lock up" when you are traveling, for keeping grocerys out of the rain, and the once in a blue moon need to carry 3 or 4 people... For me, easy choice, get the Scab over the regular, even if you don't really think you need it now.

Sounds like you don't need the Screw, and don't really want it either. So get the Scab, and enjoy!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I really like my SCAB. Exceeds all my needs and more.
Love the 6.5ft bed and ability to park in most places.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Super crew all the way

Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
As others have mentioned, it's all about how you plan to use your truck. Me personally, I'd get another scab with a 6.5ft bed. I have two SUV's at home if I need to transport people. I use my truck for hauling stuff in the bed. I do like having the scab for my dog and as a place to secure cargo. Every once in a while someone will ride in the scab, but it's rare.

Quick Reply: To Supercab or to Supercrew, that is the question