2009 - 2014 F-150

To Supercab or to Supercrew, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged
Interesting how you assume us guys with kids have no interest in spending time with our kids?

With that attitude, do your self a favor and get snipped before you have an "accident" and ruin your "freedom".
?????????????????

Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by camopaint0707
I agree with that. I would hate having a 5.5 bed. That's like driving a ranger. And Haliburton drives screw cabs with the long beds and they are like aircraft carriers.
Hell my old Ranger has a 6' Bed, I just can't understand the attraction to these four door trucks with all of the box capacity to carry what.....a 4' 2x4 or a sack of groceries! I bought a new truck because I will use it as a truck, so it has to have at least a 6.5' box.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe you should look into the regular cab with the 8' long bed instead...awesome! Seriously, the scab sounds like it'll work for you. Unless you forsee your needs changing in the near future...

Old 01-22-2011, 06:09 AM
For what it's worth (I don't own either yet) here's my opinion. I was strictly looking at SCREWs because of my kid. Then I started thinking, our main vehicle is a car. Whenever we go anywhere as a family we always take the car. The wife has already stated she wants another SUV when it is her time to get another new vehicle. It made no sense to spend the extra 2200 for the SCREW. The reason we are buying another truck is to haul things not people. Then I started comparing leg room in the SCAB and SCREW. There is 10 inches difference between the two. There is only 5 inches difference between the SCAB and our car. I can fit comfortably in the back seat of my car without any problem and I stand over 6'. Once I started thinking about all of this it made my choice very simple, the SCAB it is.

As others have said pick the one that suits you better.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM
If it is just you most of the time I'd recommend the Supercab, it gives you the 6.5 bed with a truck length that is manageable, reduces overall weight which results in better MPG.

Here is my experience, I've had a SuperCab for 11 years and have kids that are now 17, 15 & 4. The back seat easily has enough space for hauling a small tool chest, or a couple of full size suitcases to the airport, or a weekly load of groceries. I've even had my 25 gallon horizontal air compressor there a couple of times. It is great for kids, but they will out grow it around age 13 for long trips. They will still fit but they will prefer the other family vehicle, and you'll hear about it if you choose to take them in the truck. It is a little tight for a child car seat, but you get used to flipping the front seat forward to strap them in.
And if you do need to haul 4 adults it can be easily be done.

...and to the OP, Welcome to the board!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
As far as I am concerned the SCREW is the station wagon of the seventies. It's for the city slickers, commuters, and families with 3 or 4 kids that don't have a car. The bed won't hold much but at least they can tow a boat. The 8' regular cab is the real work horse. The SCAB with 6.5' bed is the best of both worlds. You have room for some kids or groceries in the back and a bed long enough to actually haul something or install a hitch and not have to worry about hitting the cab roof with the trailer.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Interesting how you assume us guys with kids have no interest in spending time with our kids?

With that attitude, do your self a favor and get snipped before you have an "accident" and ruin your "freedom".
I actually have two children, a 19-year-old daughter and an 18-year-old son. Both are wonderful, and I wouldn't give them up for anything in the world. I probably spent more time with my kids than most men do. When they were young, I worked nights and my wife worked days to keep from putting them in any sort of daycare. Once they were school age, they went to private schools, where we had to drive them every day...no buses. Both are very well-adjusted honor students.

But thanks for your concerns.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
i say crew cab! my 2010 has so much room its easy to get in there. you can get on your knees and still have the seats down. i know i have been in their on my knees a lot!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Several people posted on this thread saying they LIKED the Screw because it gives room for the kids... His reply was basically - only reason to get the Screw is because you are Whipped. He sounds a lot like the half dozen 20-something single guys I work with. 75% of their conversations are about how to pick up chicks, and how a wife an kids will "ruin their life" I tell them the same thing I told Freeky - Get snipped now if you really feel wife/kids are the end of your world.

Me? I enjoy being married, and I love spending time with my kids. Leaving them at the house just because I want to do "truck stuff" is not gonna work with me.
Who said anything about leaving them at home? My wife has a 2010 Ford Edge, which is our family car. That is the car we drive when we are all together. My son has a 2008 VW GTI and my daughter has a 2008 VW Beetle. I pay for the insurance on all four vehicles...and I'm not 20-something...and I have never bought any vehicle because my wife told me to.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
As far as I am concerned the SCREW is the station wagon of the seventies. It's for the city slickers, commuters, and families with 3 or 4 kids that don't have a car.
Amen! Like the family truckster!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Looks are subjective, but I think the Screw, 5.5' (145) looks awkward - too much SUV, not enough truck. The Screw 6.6' (157) looks nice... The Scab 6.6 just looks Right, though, what a truck should be.

My last truck was a Scab. I bought it when my Family was just me, Wife + 1 kid. It was perfect - I didn't want anything bigger. Now, the kids have multiplied to three- two in car seats and a pre-teen. No way would a Scab work, so my plan is for a Scab, 6.6. I NEED the Screw, but if I didn't I would get the Scab, no question.

As far as Scab vs regular cab, I agree with the others - the extra cab space is really nice for "lock up" when you are traveling, for keeping grocerys out of the rain, and the once in a blue moon need to carry 3 or 4 people... For me, easy choice, get the Scab over the regular, even if you don't really think you need it now.

Sounds like you don't need the Screw, and don't really want it either. So get the Scab, and enjoy!
this. ive never been a fan of the trucks that can fit the bed inside the cab. seems backwards

Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by BeckaZ
i say crew cab! my 2010 has so much room its easy to get in there. you can get on your knees and still have the seats down. i know i have been in their on my knees a lot!
Then it's settled. Becka has the best reason for getting the crew cab!

Who cares about payload!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by BeckaZ
you can get on your knees and still have the seats down. i know i have been in their on my knees a lot!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM

The OP opened a can of worms on this one. Its obvious everyone has there own opinions on this subject. But generalizing everyone with a screw as "city slickers", for large families that use it as a grocery getter etc, is a little over the top. While some people might fall in that category, they don't speak for everyone.

As far as the short bed, that's why there's a 6.5ft bed available for it, which I think looks better anyway.

I've highlighted the 6.5 ft bed in this picture in white for everyone to see.

By all means a work truck is better suited with the longest bed available. But I would bet most of us don't regularly go buy large sheets of plywood or drywall. The screw and the 6.5ft bed works for me, just like your scabs with whatever bed length works for you.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 01-22-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Supercrew. I don't drive with 3+ people all that often, but when my kids come home from college, it's great to all ride together with plenty of leg room. One's getting married soon so who knows when they have kids. I love having the extra space inside when flipping up the rear seat. The flat floor is awesome. The 5.5 bed is perfect for me for what I haul or need to carry.

Quick Reply: To Supercab or to Supercrew, that is the question