2009 - 2014 F-150

To Supercab or to Supercrew, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1998prince
2 reasons I bot the SCAB over the SCREW.
I have a little kid and didn't want her to be able to jump out.
There are child locks on the rear doors.
Also, I didn't want to lose 1 foot out of the bed length.
The supercrew has the option for either a 5.5' or 6.5' bed. I have a supercrew with a 6.5' bed.
99 % of the time, it's just me so the extra room wasn't a big need.
Valid reason.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
The OP opened a can of worms on this one. Its obvious everyone has there own opinions on this subject. But generalizing everyone with a screw as "city slickers", for large families that use it as a grocery getter etc, is a little over the top. While some people might fall in that category, they don't speak for everyone.

As far as the short bed, that's why there's a 6.5ft bed available for it, which I think looks better anyway.

I've highlighted the 6.5 ft bed in this picture in white for everyone to see.

By all means a work truck is better suited with the longest bed available. But I would bet most of us don't regularly go buy large sheets of plywood or drywall. The screw and the 6.5ft bed works for me, just like your scabs with whatever bed length works for you.
X2 thats why they make so many different config. so everybody can get what they want and need.i got a screw with a 5.5 box cause a dont always need the extra foot and when i do i put down the tail gate.why have two vehicles when one will do everything.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
... its about personal preference.
Absolutely!

If I decided that I wanted a crew cab then that's what I'd get whether I needed the extra space or not.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:32 PM
LOTS to think about

Thanks for all your responses everyone!!! You've given me a LOT to think about! Like i said before, cabin space is not an issue for me since it's just myself, and I hardly have the need for a bed except for those rare occurrences when I'm out at Lowes or Home Depot. Sooooo lots to think about.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 PM
rok
I chose my Screw, not the wife! I like having the extra room. I use my 5 1/2' truck bed plenty and even off road with my 4x2 Screw. So there aint nothing wrong with a Screw. All these assumptions are just idiotic and childish! Get the truck that suits your needs! A truck is a truck and can always be used as one! So what if something hangs over the tail-gate! I honestly love having real doors out back and not suicide doors. Im glad they didnt have a Scab in my configuration cause I would be wanting a Screw!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
...They make me think of guys who have have been told by their wives that they can buy a truck as long as it can fit the whole family...
Nothing personal but I had to chuckle at that since I'm single and still wanted to get a truck I could haul friends around in.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I've had 3 scabs and now a Screw- in between I've had a regular size expedition, excursion and now an Expedition XL and a Screw. I originally wanted another Scab but the rear doors are a pain. I like the extra room in the rear of the cab and I added a bed extender for times the longer bed is needed. I have a 2010 and around here (maybe it's an order option) but the larger engine configuration wasn't avail on the Scab.... but it's choice and aesthetics... the rear seats are great for the family or friends

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
ok boys what about the ones who have families and need a truck? it seems to me more and more that trucks are right at home on the job (construction / Field worker)or even night out on the town!
more so the latter of the two. now i see nothing wrong with the woman having a say in whether it's a crew cab or a one and a half cab (scab) model.

with it being just me and Sean i still love my new crew cab for the fact i have inside storage for stuff like groceries when its raining! so to all that give the op a hard time and sell him your thoughts remember he's not you! and op remember pier pressure has made a lot of men do what other wanted and left them wishing other wise! good luck in your choice you have to make. hope you get what you feel you want and need. ok Hun do me a fave post up pics of your new truck what ever you pick!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I got a screw cause that's what I liked best. I'm 22 and single with no thoughts of having (and by having I mean adopting) kids for or even getting married for several years. I've had my truck since April, and I can probably count on my hands how many times I've had a passenger in the back seat. The overwhelming majority of the time it's just me. But I love my screw. The biggest reason why I decided to get a screw is because I love the fully flat load floor when you flip the seat up. There's so much room, and it's great for groceries, dogs, and moving big objects that you want/need locked up and protected from weather. And my 5.5 ft bed is plenty for my uses. You guys do realize that people use truck beds for things other than long pieces of plywood, right? I don't generally haul extremely long items. When I do every once in a blue moon then I can put the tailgate down or rent/borrow a trailer for a day. My ex had a scab and it was great, too. That buying decision simply came down to money though. It's very simple. If you want or need more bed space, get a scab. If you want or need more interior space, buy a screw. If you need a ton of both then buy a screw with a 6.5 ft bed or buy a superduty. Taking shots at each other and making ignorant generalizations is stupid. Buy what you like and be happy

Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by BeckaZ
i say crew cab! my 2010 has so much room its easy to get in there. you can get on your knees and still have the seats down. i know i have been in their on my knees a lot!
Originally Posted by MT-Ford
Then it's settled. Becka has the best reason for getting the crew cab!

Who cares about payload!
Originally Posted by 1depd

Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
I smuggle illegals across the border and the supercrew is by far the best choice.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screw. My screw hauls plenty, very well. Lumber, sheet rock, plywood, you name it.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by radar's FX4
i have been in there cleaning and vacuuming up the dirt! i was hoping for more of a civil crowd that there minds weren't in a gutter somewhere. after looking back it did seem like thats where i was headed lol. sorry if i got you aroused in some way.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I have a Scab now and I really like it....for now. In June, my wife is due to give birth and I will purchase a Screw for our family rig. I'll keep the Scab for me!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned two Scabs and a Screw. In the ~250,000 miles I put on them I ended up running out of space in the cab more often than I ran out of room in the bed. For that reason the truck I just ordered was a Screw. The 5.5' bed has never really been an issue. One extra foot of length really doesn't make that much difference, the tailgate extender makes up for whatever space may have been lost. Even as a single guy without kids a Screw is the best option to have the most usable space available in my daily driver.

Quick Reply: To Supercab or to Supercrew, that is the question