2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 vs 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issues with my Titan. It rattled all over from the second week of ownership. The brakes were a nightmare and ended up being the reason I traded after 42K miles. When the brake pedal started going to the floor intermittently the dealer replaced the Master Cylinder. It helped for about two days and then it came back. Nissan refused to repair it under my Nissan Gold extended warranty. I traded up to my '07 STX.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
I had the same issues with my Titan. It rattled all over from the second week of ownership. The brakes were a nightmare and ended up being the reason I traded after 42K miles. When the brake pedal started going to the floor intermittently the dealer replaced the Master Cylinder. It helped for about two days and then it came back. Nissan refused to repair it under my Nissan Gold extended warranty. I traded up to my '07 STX.
I had the same problem with my brake pedal going to the floor and a loss of hydralic pressure. I almost hit someone, thankfully I didn't. I had to change my pants after that. I took it to the dealership and of course, no codes and they couldn't duplicate it. They found a brake pedal adjust TSB and did that. However I didn't keep it long after that.

Just 2 weeks after that happened the rear differential started howling. I got rid of it then, and traded to a Pathfinder. Auto Mall Manager knew of all the problems and worked out a sweet deal on the Pathfinder to rid me of the Titan. I had the Titan 1 year and 22,000 miles and that was TO LONG!! The Pathfinder was fine mechanically but it had a paint defect that 2 others I knew, had as well. Nissan refused to warranty it. It was cheaper trading it in than sueing Nissan. One of the others did just that. It was going to cost me $7000 to fix the paint defect that Nissan wouldn't cover. NO MORE NISSAN JUNK!

Here's all that went wrong with my Titan and this wasn't just a lemon, but the NORM!

2004 Nissan Titan Problems in near order:

-Delivered torn rear headrest was on backorder ~7 months (It was finally replaced)

-Rear sliding window weatherstripping deformed. (had window repair shop silicone weatherstripping under warranty for water tightness.)

-Drivers side insulation backing in carpet repaired after backing wouldn't adhere to floor.

-Loose item ticking against passenger side firewall when wind is blowing (never fixed of found by service.)

-Engine ticking that sounded like bad lifters/valves. Service said normal, but I never believed it. New Pathfinders DOHC is quiet, no lifter/valve train noise.

-Constant clunking in rear end. Service said normal, but after rear end failure, I'm not so sure. Never any clunking on Nissan Xterra or Nissan Pathfinder, both with rear and front differentials.

-Throttle on demand not responsive occasionally. Service never found a problem.

-Bed sidewall caps allow water to channel under them and into truck bed front corners. Must be siliconed on the inside edge to keep water out when used with tonneau covers.

-Radio replaced because lost all AM reception and treble kept fading in and out when FM or CD listening.

-Window Switches don't work right (Fixed after 2 visits because of part order)

-Passenger and Driver side mirrors replaced because of terrible shaking. (New mirrors developed shaking but not near the extent of the originals.)

-Brake Judders (3 times took to fix mine)

-Various dash rattles (None fixed after dealer having it for several days )

-Passenger seat rattles and squeaks (never fixed after dealer having it for several days. Family making fun that the truck was falling apart.)

-Paint chips rust very easily. Paint is very thin and EVERY chip developed RUST immediately. 5 Year old Nissan Xterra had chips, but never had any that went to bare metal because of thicker paint.

-After permanent brake judder fix, brakes failed after emergency stop where pedal was bouncing off of floor. (never duplicated but adjusted pedal height through TSB.)

-Rear end howling and vibrating between 3500 - 4000 rpm, and a jerking back and forth on 4000 rpm passing gear down shift. Rear end was going out. Fluid was changed to synthetic ~6000 miles, which obviously had no affect. Upon delivery, my differential fluid was full, and differential never was hot enough to bake paint off. This was the final straw, I got rid of truck after 22,000 miles. .

My 2008 Sport Trac was the funnest, most reliable vehicle that I've owned. Ford has it all over them Foreign name plates even if they are made here and assembed here as my trucks were. I'm sure the F150 will be just as reliable.

BTW, did you read that Ford dropped their F100 because they came out with the Ecoboost. Right now, Ford is all about Fuel Economy, that's their priority over everything as they are forced to be. Never mind people who wanted a smaller truck, less expensive truck, along with better fuel economy in none turbo form, as they don't matter now.

Last edited by Mike Up; 01-31-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
Here's all that went wrong with my Titan and this wasn't just a lemon, but the NORM!

2004 Nissan Titan Problems in near order:
Cliff Notes:

Nissan sucks. Ford rocks. Carry on...

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Ford#1
Well in my book, more power with better MPG is always welcomed!! The new engines are nice and they are going to get better! Me personally, I don't need the power! I am just fine with my 3V 5.4, it does just fine. I am going to be adding things down the line to increase a few horses, but maybe I am alone, but I think the truck is just fine the way it is! The way I look at it, I have the best truck on the market!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
No matter how you look at it we have 5 kick *** power plants to choose from right now. i think we can all agree no matter what engine you have we got the best truck out there.it's a great time to be a Ford fan!!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
No matter how you look at it we have 5 kick *** power plants to choose from right now. i think we can all agree no matter what engine you have we got the best truck out there.it's a great time to be a Ford fan!!
I couldn't agree more!!!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Is anyone towing with their 5.0? I figure we should start seeing a few reports on their real world capability.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Im real curious how the 5L will work pulling a trailer too.
Ive owned 2 F150's with the 5.4L and would never own one again so the new engines have peaked my interest in F150s again.
If this silly *** weather up here in Alberta ever smartens up I will have to take one for a rip!!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
As mentioned in a earlier thread; my '01 F150 XLT, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Tow Pkg., SCab with a 6.5' bed towed like a beast. It was geared perfectly (RPM's were at it's peak torque) for towing at 62-63 mph with OD off.

If wasn't for the Piston Slap that started at 40K miles, I would have it today.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I hated the throttle response lag before I got my Gryphon on my 2005 5.4. I have a 4x4 King Ranch with 3.73 rear and 35" Nittos which weigh 80 lbs. each. With my Gryphon...my 5.4 absolutely has more power with my 35's on then the truck did stock (with stock tires and no programmer). I run custom tow tune, and get about 13-15 mpg constantly. I tow all sorts of things..mostly my 8000lb+ 23' Deck Boat (get about 10-11mpg then). I look forward to when I can afford a EcoBoost..but let me tell you...I have been 100% happy for 78,000 miles and 5.5 years with my 5.4. Guttless (haha) I think not. All 5.4's have potential...you just have to let it out.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Just a thought. Isn't the 5.4 engine part of the reason Ford didn't file bankruptcy and GM and Chrysler did. Give it some credit, the new engines may be better but only time will tell.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
hahahah

Nope, Ford didn't file for bankruptcy cause they went to the market at the right time and mortgaged everything they had (including the blue oval itself) to get funds to get through the recesion w/o signing a deal with the devil.

Thats the coles notes anyways?

That said the 5.4L served its purpose. I got over 225,000 mils on mine and can't complain. It was the best truck and best engine available when I bought it in Nov 03.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
I hated the throttle response lag before I got my Gryphon on my 2005 5.4. I have a 4x4 King Ranch with 3.73 rear and 35" Nittos which weigh 80 lbs. each. With my Gryphon...my 5.4 absolutely has more power with my 35's on then the truck did stock (with stock tires and no programmer). I run custom tow tune, and get about 13-15 mpg constantly. I tow all sorts of things..mostly my 8000lb+ 23' Deck Boat (get about 10-11mpg then). I look forward to when I can afford a EcoBoost..but let me tell you...I have been 100% happy for 78,000 miles and 5.5 years with my 5.4. Guttless (haha) I think not. All 5.4's have potential...you just have to let it out.
I agree, mine is the same way (stronger tuned w/ 35s than untuned stock). But when it was custom tuned on 91 octane at stock height, my 5.4 was fast and also getting 19.2 mpg highway. I'm sure the new engines are fantastic, but until they are out for a few years I will be 100% satisfied with what I've got.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 AM
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...liter-v-8.html

The debate is over. With a frst round 'kick to the face' knockout... the five point 'oh.

There is no way the 5.4L could have hoped to keep up with that load.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...liter-v-8.html

The debate is over. With a frst round 'kick to the face' knockout... the five point 'oh.

There is no way the 5.4L could have hoped to keep up with that load.
I"ll admit I was surprised at how well the 5.0 did in the tow tests. I knew it had power to fly off the line but I didn't think it would have the grunt to do what it did in that test. I'm very impressed with the acceleration it had all the way up the grade while towing that 'near maximum' load. It nearly equalled the Chevy 6.2!

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.4