2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 vs 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my '03 with the 5.4 I towed a 24 ft Prowler that weighed over 6K loaded for a trip. Towed it pretty good, but after I loaded the 91 octane towing program it was even better! I'm thinkin that that with the right tow/haul re-tune the 5.0 will do great for those that don't want to go EB. Especially with the 6sp trans. Just my .02 worth.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...liter-v-8.html

The debate is over. With a frst round 'kick to the face' knockout... the five point 'oh.

There is no way the 5.4L could have hoped to keep up with that load.
Agreed. And Mike says it easily towed that load in 6th at 65, not to mention more than enough power at higher rpms. 5.4 can't do that without downshifting. It appears the 5.0 is at least a little better than the 5.4 below 4k rpm and way way better above 4k. That review makes the 5.0 very interesting imo. I was leaning towards EB but the 5.0 sounds close and with more easy tune/mod potential or blower it's calling to me.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...liter-v-8.html

The debate is over. With a frst round 'kick to the face' knockout... the five point 'oh.

There is no way the 5.4L could have hoped to keep up with that load.
I'm sure the 5.0 is an awesome engine that obviously posseses more hp but I didn't read anything in that article that would suggest a "kick to the face knock out" in terms of hauling power. Maybe a 5th round decision....

"There is no way the 5.4L could have hoped to keep up with that load" is pure speculation. I'd speculate that a 5.4 (especially with a tune) could absolutely keep up.

I know people are excited about their new trucks, but the debate is far from over

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackDawg
Agreed. And Mike says it easily towed that load in 6th at 65, not to mention more than enough power at higher rpms. 5.4 can't do that without downshifting. It appears the 5.0 is at least a little better than the 5.4 below 4k rpm and way way better above 4k. That review makes the 5.0 very interesting imo. I was leaning towards EB but the 5.0 sounds close and with more easy tune/mod potential or blower it's calling to me.
Mine can. I have the 3.73 axle though. last truck had 3.55 axle and would downshift... Had 9500 lbs at 70 in top gear - truck pulled it fine. only went 10 miles on hwy but my dad and I were impresssed. Im sure the 5.0 isa great but doubt its leaps and bounds better than 5.4 except at top of rpm range ( and with 6 spd tranny ).

Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Personally, when it is proven, the ecoboost looks the most interesting. I would like it to have a few years on its design or I would consider the extended warranty. As far as the criticism about the 5.4 go, I really like mine in my '09. I average nearly 17 MPG with my 6170 lb 4x4 KR SCREW and can go 0-60 in 7.8 seconds tuned with a PHP CTS.

I have always enjoyed having an engine with lots of low-end torque. It seems clear that the 5.4 has more torque below 3000 RPM, which is where I spend over 99.9% of my time. Tow capacity is more than just peak torque or horsepower. Towing also requires an engine that can hold WOT up a mountain without damage. I am not saying that the 5.0 cannot do this, but the 5.4 has proven its ability for many years. It also has a track record of lasting a long time.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by johnjohnson78
I'm sure the 5.0 is an awesome engine that obviously posseses more hp but I didn't read anything in that article that would suggest a "kick to the face knock out" in terms of hauling power. Maybe a 5th round decision....

"There is no way the 5.4L could have hoped to keep up with that load" is pure speculation. I'd speculate that a 5.4 (especially with a tune) could absolutely keep up.

I know people are excited about their new trucks, but the debate is far from over
Anyone that even suggests a 5.4L could have kept up with that truck and that loan on that route, has NEVER towed a heavy load with a 5.4L.

I'm not bashing the 5.4L. I have over 225,000 miles on my 04 and I know its capabilites quite well.

And what does a tune have to do with anything?

Why not say with a blower it could keep up. Lets keep this apples to apples cause the guy with the 5.0L, well he couldn't do anything to his truck... could he?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Wow just so much hate for the 5four. Its like its almost a comparison to it being a gm product. I love my 5four and she has towed and hauled everything I have ever throwed at without batting an eye. I really do hope the new engines are a huge success and continue to make Ford the best truck on the road.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Anyone that even suggests a 5.4L could have kept up with that truck and that loan on that route, has NEVER towed a heavy load with a 5.4L.

I'm not bashing the 5.4L. I have over 225,000 miles on my 04 and I know its capabilites quite well.

And what does a tune have to do with anything?

Why not say with a blower it could keep up. Lets keep this apples to apples cause the guy with the 5.0L, well he couldn't do anything to his truck... could he?
I've towed plenty with the 5.4 although I'll admit not QUITE as much as they did in this test. You post like the 5.0 is some godly towing engine compared to the 5.4 because of 1 promotional article. It's possible the 5.0 could be better for towing. I simply disagree with the way you pass off your opinion on the matter as fact with no real world towing experience in the 5.0 whatsoever. If you have towed 9000lbs in your 5.0 I stand corrected.

What does a tune have to do with anything? It transforms the engine for 300-500 bucks and potentially saves a 5.4 owner from having to buy a new truck for the new motor. It's a totally reasonable comparison to make (in terms of this discussion) and a good option for a significant number of 5.4 owners. That's why I put it in brackets.

I'm certainly not claiming the 5.4 is a better engine.....just that your fanboy-esque ranting about the 5.0 is a little over the top and far from objective.

If you think it's going to be some kind of tow beast you're likely kidding yourself.

Last edited by johnjohnson78; 02-14-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
I just got back from a 5.0 test drive. Truck was a XLT 4x4 SCREW, 5.5' box, 3.55 lsd, tow pack, canadian XTR package (similar to the US chrome pack I think), 275/55/20 scorpians, 4.2 productivity screen (very nice option). The 5.0 was very nice, made great music above 4k, very smooth and some serious high end horsepower! I currently drive an almost identical truck but I have a the 17 inch rims with 255/75/17 silent armors, same gear/box and the 5.4. The 5.0 was real nice above 4k but I didn't personally notice any difference down low (under 3k rpm). I drove to the dealer quite aggressively and then drove the 5.0 on the same route and drove it both aggressively and mild. Maybe coming from a 4.6 I would have been impressed but coming from my 5.4 it just didn't do it for me. The dealer sold out of ecoboosts yesterday so that was a downer. Maybe I was expecting too much? Granted the 5.0 I drove is far from being broken in, whereas I have 20000 miles on my 5.4.

Anyone setting out to buy a new truck or their first truck is really lucky! Ford appears to have an incredible line up of new motors in an already great truck so I doubt anyone could strike out.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by cheef
I just got back from a 5.0 test drive. Truck was a XLT 4x4 SCREW, 5.5' box, 3.55 lsd, tow pack, canadian XTR package (similar to the US chrome pack I think), 275/55/20 scorpians, 4.2 productivity screen (very nice option). The 5.0 was very nice, made great music above 4k, very smooth and some serious high end horsepower! I currently drive an almost identical truck but I have a the 17 inch rims with 255/75/17 silent armors, same gear/box and the 5.4. The 5.0 was real nice above 4k but I didn't personally notice any difference down low (under 3k rpm). I drove to the dealer quite aggressively and then drove the 5.0 on the same route and drove it both aggressively and mild. Maybe coming from a 4.6 I would have been impressed but coming from my 5.4 it just didn't do it for me. The dealer sold out of ecoboosts yesterday so that was a downer. Maybe I was expecting too much? Granted the 5.0 I drove is far from being broken in, whereas I have 20000 miles on my 5.4.

Anyone setting out to buy a new truck or their first truck is really lucky! Ford appears to have an incredible line up of new motors in an already great truck so I doubt anyone could strike out.
Exactly, many people are going by dyno figures that are not testing equally. They are not apples to apples as one poster said on the 5.0L power curve thread. They are for promotion to sell their performance modifications. The 5.4L that had lower numbers, was done at a higher 4500' elevation where power is always lower, plus they used an extremely low 85 octane instead of standard low 87 octane. The motor requires 87 octane.

Originally Posted by ASEMechanic

Test Conditions:
  • Vehicle - 2009 F-150
  • Engine - 5.4L
  • Transmission - 6-Speed Automatic
  • Gear - 3.73
  • Fuel - 85 Octane
  • Altitude - 4500 Feet
  • Ambient Temp - 76º F.
  • Barometric Pr. - 26.65 In. Hg. (absolute)

Horsepower and Torque

Needless to say, we are really excited about the results, especially since we only ran 85 Octane fuel. We will be doing some (relatively) sea-level testing here in the next week or two along with 93 Octane fuel testing and fully expect to see even better results.

We'll keep everyone posted on the results as development progresses. Stay tuned...

I don't know if everyones over exageration of the 5.0L low rpm power is owner loyality or buyers regret, for the Ecoboost that was the 5.4L replacement for better torque output and higher towing capacity.

All you have to do test drive them both with the same configuration and it's very obvious the 5.0L doesn't have as much torque low as the 5.4L. Yeh, it has higher horsepower but I didn't floor it to get it's true capability since I don't drive that way. I was looking for power off a standing stop or a constant speed where I need it most for pulling my trailer. The 5.0L needed to be pushed to accelerate while the 5.4L took off effortlessly with aggressive power. Hek, even the 2 trucks I test drove were within 20 lbs and the same gears!

Now after the ecoboost gets some maturity out of it, I might get this engine in my next F150. Or if it makes it's way into the F250, then it may be that. The 6.2L with shorter gears, and another 1000 lbs of weight in a F250, makes it unrealistic to be a daily commuter unless you have money to burn in fuel.

Last edited by Mike Up; 02-16-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
We need some hard facts apples to apples to finally put this issue to bed. Maybe could put a request into Pickup Trucks.com or someone like that to do a test. Or if two members in the same area could get together to do some dyno comparisons but this could be easier said than done.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
We need some hard facts apples to apples to finally put this issue to bed. Maybe could put a request into Pickup Trucks.com or someone like that to do a test. Or if two members in the same area could get together to do some dyno comparisons but this could be easier said than done.
With the 5.0L according to this link, the 2600 rpm torque is only 85% of peak torque.

With the 5.4L, the 2600 rpm torque is 98% of peak.

This is exactly what I felt when comparing the two. Since the dyno test was with so many negatives toward the output. I could see the max on the 5.4L being 300 lbs of torque compared to it's 255 lbs of torque in this recent dyno. It's very reasonable to see an increase of 45 lbs of torque with higher octane gas and sea level elevation.

I found several statements on the web that pretty much stated that there's a 3% loss in HP for every 1000' of elevation. Didn't find anything on torque but I would assume it's the same.

Last edited by Mike Up; 02-16-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
My '04 had a lot more low end pulling power then my 5.0. the 5.0 really shines in the 4-5000k range. 3.73's with an Edge Evo helped the 5.4 get rolling even with 34 or 35" tires. No problem's either from the 5.4, sold it with 98k miles. 0 to 50 mph the 5.4 would win.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2007 5.4 3v 3.73 rear gear, has towed anything I have ever thrown at it for 45K miles, and always says " Is that all you have for me?"....I am very satisfied with her performance with or without a load!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
My '04 had a lot more low end pulling power then my 5.0. the 5.0 really shines in the 4-5000k range. 3.73's with an Edge Evo helped the 5.4 get rolling even with 34 or 35" tires. No problem's either from the 5.4, sold it with 98k miles. 0 to 50 mph the 5.4 would win.
I dont know bout that....
Any comparison you read on 09-10 1/2 tons pretty much states the 5.4L is a dog compared to all the other brands.... 0-60 in almost 9 sec while others were all in the 7 sec range.
They are saying the 5.0L is around 7sec so even with a tune the 5.4L would be hard pressed to come close...

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/..._and_data.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....r-mile-dr.html

Never been a fan of the 5.4L.....owned a couple but all were pre 6 speed.
Thought the 5.4L was a dog with the 4 speed,yes with programmer,exhaust,and intake to boot...No comparison really to the VMax that replaced the last one.
Since the little lady has a shiny 2010 Edge in the garage I get the next new vehicle!
Now that the 5.0L and EB are here another F150 might be in the future cause the 5.4L is why I didnt buy another back in 07!

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.4