2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 vs 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
At that altitude, all it needs is 85 octane. That's why they have it - 85 at that altitude is equivalent to 87 at sea level.
Alright, but they did say they needed to test it with 93 octane. If octane didn't matter, I doubt they'd use 93.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You won't see the EB in the Super Duty till they count as part of the CAFE. Right now they don't, it only applies to vehicles under 8500# GVW. That's why there's no EPA numbers on a SD.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am certainly not a marketing expert nor do I have inside knowledge of Ford's intentions with offering so many engine options for the '11 model year. But, common sense tells me that Ford needed to have a capable and economically sensible engine in it's reserves in case popularity for the EcoBoost didn't pan out. I think that is where the 5.0 gets it cred. I don't see it as a replacement of the outgoing 4.6, but as well performing back-up to the more expensive V6TT or the 6.2. If for some reason interest in the EcoBoost would have flopped, Ford would have been left holding the bag with just a N/A V6 and an over optioned V8 as alternatives. Fortunately for Ford, and Ford truck owners, all 4 of the available power plants are improvements over the previous generations. After all, that's what automakers do... Improve their product to keep up with the competition.

I recently sold my '03 SC 4x4 with a 5.4 and after two years of putting it through it's paces was satisfied with it's performance. I towed a 5,000# TT every other weekend during a whole summer in the mountains of UT. Sure, it struggled pulling some of the longer grades, but I think that was mostly due to the 4 speed gear box. For my next truck (which I will buy used), I am debating a '09/'10 with the 5.4, or an '11 with the 5.0 or Ecoboost. I know all of them are much stronger performers that my '03, but if I am going to shell out $30K+ for a truck I want it to be a solid improvement over what I had previously. I think any of those trucks are more than capable and not all that far apart with regards to pulling grunt for my needs. Reliability and long term maintenance costs become the issue with the untested '11s, IMO.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 5.4