2009 - 2014 F-150

test drove an ecoboost f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
test drove an ecoboost f150

can you tell? lol

ford brought a sterling grey or is it silver 4x4 screw over to my house this past saturday as part of the ecoboost test drive i signed up for. the rep said i could try pulling my 6x12 enclosed v-nose trailer but i did not have time to get it out of storage and then load my bikes. my current screw doesn't like my trailer. too much

i am sold on the ecoboost motor as well as the info screen in the dash and ride quality and that sound the turbos emit while they're spoolin and so on and so forth, but i just want do not want to start a new loan again. maybe one day.

just a rave for the '11 ecoboost f150!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Disappointed to see that truck had an open rear. I thought the 4x4 either had ls or locker (traction control in 4x2)? Looks like something my 1990 Ford Ranger used to do......not impressive. If that is the way the locker works in 4x2 mode I'm definitely staying with ls.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
One wheel peel? You would think Ford would send out one with a limited slip rear with that much power for test drives.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
yeah, i thought they would've also. i would order one with an lsd.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by BlackDawg
Disappointed to see that truck had an open rear. I thought the 4x4 either had ls or locker (traction control in 4x2)? Looks like something my 1990 Ford Ranger used to do......not impressive. If that is the way the locker works in 4x2 mode I'm definitely staying with ls.
Locker works on FX4 models and it has to be in 4x4L

Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Super FX4
Locker works on FX4 models and it has to be in 4x4L
It also is an open diff when not locked. That was the reason I did not select it and went with the LS instead. To me the locker is worthelss, it only works in 4 Lo and only under 25MPH the rest of the time it is open. I don;t want to put my truck in 4 Lo every time I need better traction for the rear wheels.

What they should have done is made it a LS with a selective e-locker in any drive setting. I would have paid more for this option.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
You guys must drive in some horrific conditions to need a locker for anything you'll ever see that wouldn't require 4 Lo and speeds below 25 mph.

I mean, really, how often do you REALLY need a locker above those speeds and in conditions that wouldn't require 4 Lo?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
You guys must drive in some horrific conditions to need a locker for anything you'll ever see that wouldn't require 4 Lo and speeds below 25 mph.

I mean, really, how often do you REALLY need a locker above those speeds and in conditions that wouldn't require 4 Lo?
A wet, slimy boat launch is one very common scenario. The owner’s manual says not to use 4x4 on dry pavement most of the launch and the area above the launch is exactly that. However, the 2' each side of the water line can be pretty nasty. I don't want to back the boat most of the way down, drop it into 4 lo, load the boat up, pull forward a few more feet then take the truck out of 4 lo so I can turn at the top of the ramp. The guy in the GM truck with the locker next to me doesn't have to do that why should my Ford be any different?

If your wheels are spinning in mud it doesn’t take very long for the axle to see 25MPH and then come unlocked.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM
the locker works in 4 hi to.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
A wet, slimy boat launch is one very common scenario. The owner’s manual says not to use 4x4 on dry pavement most of the launch and the area above the launch is exactly that. However, the 2' each side of the water line can be pretty nasty. I don't want to back the boat most of the way down, drop it into 4 lo, load the boat up, pull forward a few more feet then take the truck out of 4 lo so I can turn at the top of the ramp. The guy in the GM truck with the locker next to me doesn't have to do that why should my Ford be any different?

If your wheels are spinning in mud it doesn’t take very long for the axle to see 25MPH and then come unlocked.
Exactly. There are several everyday driving and towing reasons I'll stick with ls over this e-locker system. Now a front e-locker would be nice.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 F150 Manual
Electronic locking differential (ELD) (if equipped)
The electronic locking differential (ELD) is a device housed in the rear
axle which allows both rear wheels to turn at the same speed. The ELD
can provide additional traction should the vehicle become stuck. The
ELD is electronically activated by the driver and can be shifted on the
fly. It is intended for use in mud, rocks, sand, or any off-road condition
where maximum traction is needed. It is not intended for use on dry
pavement.
The ELD is affected by the following conditions:
• The 4WD control must be in either 4H (4X4 high) or 4L (4X4 low)
mode.
• The ELD will not engage if the vehicle speed is above 20 mph
(30 km/h) in 4X4 high or 56 mph (90 km/h) in 4X4 low.
• In 4H (4X4 high), the ELD will disengage at speeds above 25 mph
(40 km/h) and will automatically reengage at speeds below 20 mph
(30 km/h).
• In 4L (4X4 low), the ELD will disengage at speeds above 62 mph
(100 km/h) and will automatically reengage at speeds below 56 mph
(90 km/h).
The ELD is designed for off-road use only and is not intended for use on
dry pavement.
Driving

Ford manual states that in Hi, the locker will only operate up to 25 mph but in Lo, it will operate up to 62 mph! Boy that's probably like 6500 rpms!

Actually the traction control has ABLS or Active Brake Limited Slip on the new F150s. My 2008 Sport Trac, 2005 Pathfinder, and 2004 Titan used this in conjuction with their open differentials. Suppose to be better than Mechanical LS when one wheel is in the air.

So if the FX4 axle is open except when the locker is engaged, ABLS should provide the limited slip traction. Since ABLS with the F150 is tied directly to the TCS (unlike the Sport Trac and Nissans), it must be turned off when wheel spin is needed or Engine Traction Control will limit throttle.

So likely the reason you see a one wheel peel out is because the TCS was temporarily turned off.

Still don't understand how this ABLS works with the mechanical LS as you usually don't have both systems. The ABLS would have to be calibrated very loosely to allow the mechanical LS to engage first.

2010 F150 Manual
Excessive wheel spin is controlled in two ways, which may work
separately or in tandem: engine traction control and brake traction
control. Engine traction control works to limit drive-wheel spin by
momentarily reducing engine power. Brake traction control works to limit
wheel spin by momentarily applying the brakes to the wheel that is
slipping. Traction control is most active at low speeds.
2010 F150 Manual
The engine traction control and brake traction control system may be
deactivated in certain situations. See the Switching off AdvanceTrac
with RSC section following.
Also I see very few reasons to need a locker. LS has made all of my 4wheelers capable in some hairy situations. Rarely ever needed Lo even, except a couple of times pulling people out of ditches on iced over roads.

Last edited by Mike Up; 01-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 AM
A wet, slimy boat launch is one very common scenario. The owner’s manual says not to use 4x4 on dry pavement most of the launch and the area above the launch is exactly that.
It's perfectly fine to use 4x4 on dry pavement if you aren't turning.

The real issue they're warning about is that in a turn on dry pavement, the wheels need to move at different speeds. In 4wd, the driveline requires the front and rear driveshafts turn at exactly the same speed. Therefore the truck will be forced to "scrub" the wheels against the pavement, putting a very high load on the drivetrain.

And if there's a low traction situation where you'd want the locker active, you're certainly fine with it in 4wd.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Droid
It's perfectly fine to use 4x4 on dry pavement if you aren't turning.

The real issue they're warning about is that in a turn on dry pavement, the wheels need to move at different speeds. In 4wd, the driveline requires the front and rear driveshafts turn at exactly the same speed. Therefore the truck will be forced to "scrub" the wheels against the pavement, putting a very high load on the drivetrain.

And if there's a low traction situation where you'd want the locker active, you're certainly fine with it in 4wd.
Read the part of my post that you cut out. I am well aware that it can be used in a straight line on dry pavement. I went so far as to detail the extra steps it would take. You're missing the point, the e-locker as Ford offers it is poorly thought out. I test drove an EB FX4 and left a one wheel peel just like the pic th OP put up. The truck will burn one tire like mad until the TC kills the fun. On dry ground it is an annoyance in a trouble situation it is a real problem. I want both wheels to turn when I need them to. A LS will do this most of the time a locker will do it when the LS can't. The correct setup would have been a LS + e-locker.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

From what I saw watching this demonstration I wouldn't be too worried with 2wd traction if your truck came equipped with a locker.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....e-tractio.html

Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read the part of my post that you cut out. I am well aware that it can be used in a straight line on dry pavement. I went so far as to detail the extra steps it would take. You're missing the point, the e-locker as Ford offers it is poorly thought out. I test drove an EB FX4 and left a one wheel peel just like the pic th OP put up. The truck will burn one tire like mad until the TC kills the fun. On dry ground it is an annoyance in a trouble situation it is a real problem. I want both wheels to turn when I need them to. A LS will do this most of the time a locker will do it when the LS can't. The correct setup would have been a LS + e-locker.
Why not just flip it in 4x4 hi, get it up to the dry part of the ramp, and just switch back to 4x2. Pretty simple...no stopping, no hassles. No more steps than the e-locker.

Unless your boat is 10k lbs, you really don't need 4x4 low to pull it out of the water, just step on the go pedal a tad harder. And if you can pull it out in 4x2 with an e-locker, you can pull it out in 4x4 hi.

Quick Reply: test drove an ecoboost f150