2009 - 2014 F-150

Which tires come with the off-road package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip_1074
It's funny that you say they wont put "top of the line all terrain tires" on a truck OE, but my truck came with just that: Michelin LTX AT/2 tires on it. Truck is a 2010 XLT SCrew 4x4. So far the tires do pretty good in light snow and that is about the only place I have had them other then dry pavement.
Originally Posted by birdshooter
If in fact that is true than I stand corrected. That tire retails for $200 plus and I guess I have never seen where Ford has put a tire manufacturers top of the line All terrain on as OEM equipment or even offer it as an option. You see alot of Goodyear SRA or RT/S and even AT/S on from the factory and these tires are certainly not what I call top-of-the-line for a Goodyear Wrangler.

You my sir got a quality tire without paying extra i guess.
I have the Michelin LTX AT/2 tire on my 2010 XLT Scab 4x4. There is a $325 charge on my window sticker for the upgraded tires. I personally have only seen these tires on a 17" rim. I believe the 18" rim gets goodyears that look more like an all season than all terrain.

I have had these tires off road for work multiple times and they are really a very very good tire in all aspects on and off road. Not quite as good as the BFG AT tires but I would put them a close second.

Here are some pictures of my window sticker and tires:

Old 01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by mstang66guy
I have the Michelin LTX AT/2 tire on my 2010 XLT Scab 4x4. There is a $325 charge on my window sticker for the upgraded tires. I personally have only seen these tires on a 17" rim. I believe the 18" rim gets goodyears that look more like an all season than all terrain.

I have had these tires off road for work multiple times and they are really a very very good tire in all aspects on and off road. Not quite as good as the BFG AT tires but I would put them a close second.
I'm curious now, the differences between our trucks other the GVWR package then. I just went and pulled my window sticker and my Michelin's were "NO CHARGE" on the truck. I'll try to take some pictures today, but we'll see.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, my 2011 4x4 with 17" wheels came with the same Michelin LTX AT2 (P265/70R17) tires that some other guys mentioned came with their 2010 4x4.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I can't comment specifically on the FX4 package, but for my XLT, the tires were Goodyear SRA and they are closer to an all season tire than an all terrain. I doubt very much Ford is going to put the top of the line all terrain tires from say Michelin (LTX AT/2), Goodyear(Wrangler Silent Armor) or even Firestone/Bridgestone (Destination or Revo's) on off road packages as standard equipment. At least I've never seen it. More than likely you'll get something along the lines of the Wrangler RT/S or AT/S which are adequate, but quite inferior to the top-of-line Silent Armor in all aspects. If top of the line is not important than all is fine. But i can personally vouch that top of the line performs much better than OEM, no matter what they are.
My 2010 came with Michelin LTX A/T 2 and am quite satisfied. I didn't want any Good Year Junk. I bought the Wrangler Silent Armor for my Sport Trac and were garbage. Did terrible in the snow, terrible in rain, and didn't notice any improved traction over All Season Tires while Off Road.

The Michelins are GREAT. Great traction about everywhere, VERY VERY Impressed. These seem to equal or exceed the Awesome Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos I put on my Xterra. Didn't want a Firestone/Bridgestone product on my Ford "Explorer" Sport Trac after all the hype. The 18" 4WD came with Goodyear Wrangers AT/S which are a poorly rated tire at Tire Rack.

The 2011 4WDs state they come with All Terrain but all I seen had the crappy Goodyear Wrangler SR-A "ALL SEASON" tires. I wasn't pleased with the All Terrain misinformation. I was really pleased to see my 2010 come with true All Terrain Tires and Michelin at that!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Per my earlier post, here is a picture of my window sticker:

I still haven't gotten around to taking any pictures of my truck, but I will over the weekend or next week. Between work (work away from home) and home life, things keep me pretty well tapped for time.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Skip_1074
Per my earlier post, here is a picture of my window sticker:

No that makes no sense. I wonder why my truck had a $325 option for the tires and yours were free....

Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Does motor selection make a difference? Max tow? SCREW vs SCAB? In Canada the 2010 XLT's with 17 inch wheels came with the 265/70/17 Michelin AT/2 as standard equipment. My 2009 came with the 255/70/17 Generals standard. in 2010 the basic SCAB came with 235/70/17 hankooks that look silly.

Skip obviously has the 5.4.

Maybe taking snapshots of your entire window stickers would help us help you

Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
I think the tires change by season or availability. My 05 had BFG Rugged Trail, the 09 had Goodyears and the 10 has Goodyear 18" Wrangler A/T's which I like surprisingly. It was some upcharge for off road tires on the sticker 300 or so...

I may buy the Duratrac's next if we get assigned up north.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
I bought the Wrangler Silent Armor for my Sport Trac and were garbage. Did terrible in the snow, terrible in rain, and didn't notice any improved traction over All Season Tires while Off Road.
See that's what's great. Everyone has their opinion and not everyone's opinion is the same. I had the Wrangler Silent Armors on my 05 and they were fabulous in the snow. IN fact at Tire Rack they are one of the highest rated All Terrain's in the snow traction category.

Wranglers come in many forms. But the Silent Armor Pro Grade is the one Wrangler that Goodyear developed specifically to go head to head with the BF Goodrich TA KO.

Right now I'm running on the Firestone Destination A/T and so far I'm liking everything that has been touted about it as being a great all around tire. Can't beat the price for a premium tire either.

Last edited by birdshooter; 01-29-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 AM
See that's what's great. Everyone has their opinion and not everyone's opinion is the same. I had the Wrangler Silent Armors on my 05 and they were fabulous in the snow. IN fact at Tire Rack they are one of the highest rated All Terrain's in the snow traction category.

Wranglers come in many forms. But the Silent Armor Pro Grade is the one Wrangler that Goodyear developed specifically to go head to head with the BF Goodrich TA KO.

Right now I'm running on the Firestone Destination A/T and so far I'm liking everything that has been touted about it as being a great all around tire. Can't beat the price for a premium tire either.
x2 My 2010 came with the Wrangler SRA's and i replaced them with the Wrangler Silent Armor pro grades 2 days after bringing the truck home. That was back in Oct. of 2009. Im half way into the second winter up here in the northeast and Im more than pleased with these tires. Theyre incredible in the snow and are wearing nice and even. Always bought BFG TA KO's in the past and wanted to try something different. That being said these are my new favorite tire.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I tink you'll find the following with my experiences:

17" = Michelin LX AT/2
18" = Goodyear AT/S
20" = Pirelli Scorpion ATR

The only place the Goodyear STR shows up is as a stock tire, which is still an all-season tread.

I put the Michelins on my 2008 King Ranch. Loved them on wet pavement and all other types except snow. Then, they stunk.

I currently have the Goodyear AT/S tires on my 2010, and they are really good in all cases, but I find the traction control makes up for alot. My next truck will come with BFG T/A's or the Coopers as part of the deal... or no deal.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Loving my silent armors in all conditions!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Just switched from the stock 275-55r20 Pirellis(4plies) to Goodyear 285-60r20(10 plies) Duratrac... what a difference in ride! so smooth over bumps and cracks and surprisingly less roll over. I do feel some drag and hear a little noise as they are so aggressive but I wil live with it for the durability and the traction.
and btw I have the off-road package and it came with the 4 ply pirelli's?!?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 AM
My 2011 came with the Michelin LTX AT/2 tires and I hate them. im gonna take them off as soon as I can. I have less than 10k on my truck. They are Ok in wet conditions, but off road, forget it. The worst part is rocks! They hold and throw rocks like nothing I have ever seen. Look closly above at mstang66guy's pics. The tire is loaded with rocks. The second you hit the highway, it sounds like a christmas bell choir playing under your truck. Gravel roads are a big no no with that tire. If you like your paint, avoid this tire.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by joni7777
Just switched from the stock 275-55r20 Pirellis(4plies) to Goodyear 285-60r20(10 plies) Duratrac... what a difference in ride! so smooth over bumps and cracks and surprisingly less roll over. I do feel some drag and hear a little noise as they are so aggressive but I wil live with it for the durability and the traction.
and btw I have the off-road package and it came with the 4 ply pirelli's?!?
Do you lose any handling with the Duratrac's vs a less aggressive tire?

Quick Reply: Which tires come with the off-road package?