2009 - 2014 F-150

Which tires come with the off-road package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tires come with the off-road package?

The website and order guide only gives the size, 265/70R17, not the brand and name of the tire. Does anyone know what tires the come on a 2011 F-150 4x4 with the off-road package?

Greg

Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
not sure,,but i would assume goodyears

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
my 2010 fx4 came with michelins. that was with the 18" wheels. I know that doesnt answer your question, but my family have 3 other 2010's they bought this year and they are also all michelins. they are all xlt's 18"s

Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You probably won't know till it shows up. They use several suppliers.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Here's the Off-Road info straight out of the Order Guide:

OFF-ROAD PACKAGE (55A)
Availability:
• Optional on XLT, Lariat and King Ranch® 4x4
Not Available with:
• 3.7L V6 or 6.2L V8 engine
• Heavy-Duty Payload Package (627)
Includes:
• 3.73 electronic-locking rear-axle
• Skid plates: fuel tank, transfer case and front differential
• Off-Road tuned shock absorbers (front and rear)
• 4x4 "Off-Road" decal
• P265/70R17 OWL A/T tires (XLT only)
Optional Equipment:
• P275/55R20 OWL A/T tires (T2E)
• LT245/75R17E BSW A/T tires (T7E) (XLT only)
• LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires (T8C) (Lariat and King Ranch®; or XLT
w/XLT Chrome Pkg. – 86X)

The above can change IF you also order other options...for example the XLT Chrome package comes standard with 18" tires.

When we ordered our new truck, I asked specifically what tire (brand) would come on the truck. I was told that it could be one of 2-3 different brands. My suspicion is that tire companies produce a "special" tire that the sell to the auto makers.....I say that because you can look at them and there is a noticeable difference in tread depth versus most aftermarket tires (less tread depth on the factory tires).
Depending on what the tires look like when our new truck arrives, I MIGHT drive it straight to our local Big-O tire shop and see what they will give to trade them in on a "meatier" tire.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
Here's the Off-Road info straight out of the Order Guide:

OFF-ROAD PACKAGE (55A)
Availability:
• Optional on XLT, Lariat and King Ranch® 4x4
Not Available with:
• 3.7L V6 or 6.2L V8 engine
• Heavy-Duty Payload Package (627)
Includes:
• 3.73 electronic-locking rear-axle
• Skid plates: fuel tank, transfer case and front differential
• Off-Road tuned shock absorbers (front and rear)
• 4x4 "Off-Road" decal
• P265/70R17 OWL A/T tires (XLT only)
Optional Equipment:
• P275/55R20 OWL A/T tires (T2E)
• LT245/75R17E BSW A/T tires (T7E) (XLT only)
• LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires (T8C) (Lariat and King Ranch®; or XLT
w/XLT Chrome Pkg. – 86X)

The above can change IF you also order other options...for example the XLT Chrome package comes standard with 18" tires.

When we ordered our new truck, I asked specifically what tire (brand) would come on the truck. I was told that it could be one of 2-3 different brands. My suspicion is that tire companies produce a "special" tire that the sell to the auto makers.....I say that because you can look at them and there is a noticeable difference in tread depth versus most aftermarket tires (less tread depth on the factory tires).
Depending on what the tires look like when our new truck arrives, I MIGHT drive it straight to our local Big-O tire shop and see what they will give to trade them in on a "meatier" tire.
That is the same information I was acting on. I have also suspected tread depth is less than optimal on some OEM tires. I really like the Firestone AT's on my Frontier and if I don't like what the F-150 comes with, I'll swap them out right away.

We'll see when the truck arrives.

Greg

Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell em you want to upgrade. Pick the tire you want and have them work the extra cost into he plan. The OEM tires are fine for highway use, but other than that they are lacking.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
Tell em you want to upgrade. Pick the tire you want and have them work the extra cost into he plan. The OEM tires are fine for highway use, but other than that they are lacking.
I hope you are wrong. The off-road package should have tires for a lot more than highway use.

Greg

Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Greg Matty
I hope you are wrong. The off-road package should have tires for a lot more than highway use.

Greg
Well I can't comment specifically on the FX4 package, but for my XLT, the tires were Goodyear SRA and they are closer to an all season tire than an all terrain. I doubt very much Ford is going to put the top of the line all terrain tires from say Michelin (LTX AT/2), Goodyear(Wrangler Silent Armor) or even Firestone/Bridgestone (Destination or Revo's) on off road packages as standard equipment. At least I've never seen it. More than likely you'll get something along the lines of the Wrangler RT/S or AT/S which are adequate, but quite inferior to the top-of-line Silent Armor in all aspects. If top of the line is not important than all is fine. But i can personally vouch that top of the line performs much better than OEM, no matter what they are.

Last edited by birdshooter; 01-27-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM
my grandpa upgraded his tires. He gave the dealer 200 bucks and they took the factory tires off and switched them for the goodyear wrangler kevlars

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
APT
Whatever they are suck. The optional Goodyear ATS were okay, but still not good. My 2003 FX4 package truck came with SRAs . I got a local tire dealer to give me $300 credit towards new tire of my choice. You need to do this immediately to get more than $100 for them. Plan to make sure the tire dealer has what you want in stock so you can take care of it within the first 200 miles.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey
my grandpa upgraded his tires. He gave the dealer 200 bucks and they took the factory tires off and switched them for the goodyear wrangler kevlars
Smart man. I only wish I would have thought of that when I bought my 09. Instead of $200 difference I would end up spending almost a grand.

As it was I ended up getting rid of my OEM Goodyears after about 20k miles. sold them on Craigslist for $200 and went with Firestone Destination A/T's. Great tire so far.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
Well I can't comment specifically on the FX4 package, but for my XLT, the tires were Goodyear SRA and they are closer to an all season tire than an all terrain. I doubt very much Ford is going to put the top of the line all terrain tires from say Michelin (LTX AT/2), Goodyear(Wrangler Silent Armor) or even Firestone/Bridgestone (Destination or Revo's) on off road packages as standard equipment. At least I've never seen it. More than likely you'll get something along the lines of the Wrangler RT/S or AT/S which are adequate, but quite inferior to the top-of-line Silent Armor in all aspects. If top of the line is not important than all is fine. But i can personally vouch that top of the line performs much better than OEM, no matter what they are.
It's funny that you say they wont put "top of the line all terrain tires" on a truck OE, but my truck came with just that: Michelin LTX AT/2 tires on it. Truck is a 2010 XLT SCrew 4x4. So far the tires do pretty good in light snow and that is about the only place I have had them other then dry pavement.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Skip_1074
It's funny that you say they wont put "top of the line all terrain tires" on a truck OE, but my truck came with just that: Michelin LTX AT/2 tires on it. Truck is a 2010 XLT SCrew 4x4. So far the tires do pretty good in light snow and that is about the only place I have had them other then dry pavement.
If in fact that is true than I stand corrected. That tire retails for $200 plus and I guess I have never seen where Ford has put a tire manufacturers top of the line All terrain on as OEM equipment or even offer it as an option. You see alot of Goodyear SRA or RT/S and even AT/S on from the factory and these tires are certainly not what I call top-of-the-line for a Goodyear Wrangler.

You my sir got a quality tire without paying extra i guess.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Skip_1074
It's funny that you say they wont put "top of the line all terrain tires" on a truck OE, but my truck came with just that: Michelin LTX AT/2 tires on it..

Those are actually good tires...

I had a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires on my old 92...Open diff...I lived in Muskoka and made out just fine with the regular 3'-4' of snow annually..

Tough tire...Surprisingly enough, they bite very well and in the snow...They look useless for anything but highway, but they are very decieving...

The LTX AT and M/S are very similar..

I would actually recommend that tire.

The next set I had on the same truck was BFG A/T's and the differance between a new BF's and the M/S's was nill...

Quick Reply: Which tires come with the off-road package?