2009 - 2014 F-150

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIDs

Ok so I've had my HIDs for a couple of weeks now and at first I had a few problems. I have seemed to fix some of the kinks but I'm wondering about one thing. If I start then engine then turn on the lights, they flick on then shut off. I then have to turn the lights off and back on again to work properly. Then they are fine.

Then one day I decided to turn on the battery first, then the lights, then the engine and they work fine and run the whole time. Any thoughts to why this is? Thanks!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What brand are they? If they flicker and shut down, thats a sign of low voltage. Do you have a harness to the battery or are you running off the OE headlight wiring?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I remember I had a very similar problem on my guage for fuel pressue so I called autometer and they told me that it sounds like I tapped the wrong hot line.

There are hot on with key, but some of the hot on with key get cut off till the engine starts up. I would try another hot sorce and find one that is on even when the engine is being turned over.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Dont forget, HIDs have an initial burst of energy to fire them up, then they slowly heat up to operating temp. So that initial burst is a bright flash, then they go dim and slowly get brighter until they reach optimal brightness.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I have the same problem as you. All I do is turn on the lights first then start the truck. It has something to do with the ballast I believe but I cant remember what exactly it was.

D

Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM
They are from DDM Tuning. What happens is that I start the truck, turn on the lights and they flash bright like normal but then completely shut off and do not turn back on. I then would have to turn the lights back off then on again and they would work. And sometimes when this happened the first and second try only the driver side would come on.

Now I have been turning on the lights before I start the truck, they flash bright then slowly warm up like normal and then good to go. I start the truck and everything is fine.

And D did you get your ballasts replaced or have you done something else? Or do you just always turn on the lights before the engine?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM

It sounds like the wiring is wrong. Whether you tied into the wrong place or something, but you might want to go back and double check everything. Check your grounds too

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM

DDM is garbage. Better hurry and get your money back or warranty replacement right away as I've seen multiple rumors that they are going out of business, or moving away from HID at least since people are figuring out about their slimeball business tactics.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
DDM is garbage. Better hurry and get your money back or warranty replacement right away as I've seen multiple rumors that they are going out of business, or moving away from HID at least since people are figuring out about their slimeball business tactics.
It's no rumor, they've already killed it

Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
X2. Absolutely correct. There are many posts corroborating this.

Get yer money back - if you can ... and the fact that this may in itself be problematic should be warning enough.

Good luck.

MGD

Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Awesome well that blows!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Interesting; I have used DDM kits starting about mid 2007, both on motorcycles and cars. A total of about 6 kits, and I have only one ballast fail that was quickly replaced...
Maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket.

What slimeball practices are you talking about?
Their Lifetime warranty?
Please elaborate. And NO, I do not have ANY personal interest on their company other than bean a satisfied customer.

Of course if you don't know how to install them correctly plus do not aim them correctly, you'll blind other drivers. I drive daily on a 2 way road and still not been flashed once after installing HIDs.

To the OP, check that you're tapping the correct power; maybe you need a relay harness.

Quick Reply: HIDs