2009 - 2014 F-150

Future F-150 with a few q's for you Ford veterans..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future F-150 with a few q's for you Ford veterans..

Here's a little background. I'm USAF, stationed over here in Germany and will be moving back stateside in July, going to Oklahoma City. I have made up my mind that I will be ordering a new F-150 through Exchange New Car Sales here in Germany for delivery in Oklahoma in July.

Herein lies the problem. Im kind of going in blind on powertrain. Let me explain. We have a fleet of government vehicles in our squadron and one we just got is a 2010 F-150 Screw XLT 4x4. I love the way it drives, the room, but it has the 4.6 v8. I will be ordering a 2011 FX2, but I can't make up my mind between the 5.0 or the Ecoboost. I most likely will not be doing any towing, just commuting to Tinker AFB and farting around on the weekends with the occasional trip down to TX for Aggie football games. I won't have the opportunity to test drive either powerplant here in Germany, so Im having to pull the trigger blind.

For those that have driven both the 5.0 and the EB, how do they compare, considering all Ive driven so far is the 4.6? On paper, the EB looks phenomenal. Ive always had fullsize trucks with v8's so Im used to the rumble. How does the EB exhaust note sound? My college roommates old V6 Ram sounded like a chainsaw. From everything Ive read on here from you guys, everyone says the EB pulls like a freight train and has the feeling of continuous pull, whereas the 5.0 drops off a bit.
I really want that "seat of the pants" torque, but Im afraid Ill miss the sound of the old V8 out the tailpipe.

I know this a ridiculous post, but can someone offer some opinions? Thanks a million in advance!

Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 PM
TxAg98, I am some what in the same situation, but while I was out of the sand pile for a few weeks I got the chance to test drive the 5.0 in a SCREW XLT 4x4. Seat of the pants view point - Impressed to the max with the new tranny and the engine! I am ordering an FX2 from the same source and I am going with the EB for several reasons 1. torque - never know when you need to pull/move or assist someone with the 420 lbs on tap. 2. you mentioned it would be a DD, both will do the job for that quite well - change to full syn oil and try a K & N air filter, watch the right foot a little and you will be pleased with the results. During the test ride we were the first ones for the day so the average mpg started at zero. After both of us stomping on the go pedal during the test ride, i checked the average and it read 20.9! Both will do you fine for myself I plan for the future which is also why I choose the max tow package on my FX2. Check out the torture videos on fords website on the EB and read whats posted here anything relating to the 5.0. Good luck and I have to wait till after Aug to get mine. Bob in IRAQ

Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Keep in mind that you can't go wrong with either choice.

The 420ft lbs of torque is awesome on the ecoboost and turbo charged engines have flat powerbands as opposed to typical N/A mountain torque curve. (slow to rise and fast to fall)

Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Simple, wait until you get back in the states and then test drive both in the configuration you want. Decide for yourself after you can properly test the trucks.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by shawnp
Simple, wait until you get back in the states and then test drive both in the configuration you want. Decide for yourself after you can properly test the trucks.
Unfortunately, to take advantage of the discounts offered through ENCS, i have to order it while I am stationed overseas. I can't take advantage of the program once Im back stateside.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Looked into USAA?

Hey dude, I am also stationed in Germany and will be getting an F-150 when I get back to the States sometime next year. Have you priced out the F-150 through USAA? The USAA price was better than the ENCS price quote I received.

Also, realize that if you order and have it delivered in the States, you are still probably going to have to pay sales tax (depending on state I reckon).

Good luck. Keep us posted on your choice!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by DarinFred
Hey dude, I am also stationed in Germany and will be getting an F-150 when I get back to the States sometime next year. Have you priced out the F-150 through USAA? The USAA price was better than the ENCS price quote I received.

Also, realize that if you order and have it delivered in the States, you are still probably going to have to pay sales tax (depending on state I reckon).

Good luck. Keep us posted on your choice!
Yeah, I havent priced through USAA just yet, but was planning on it. Ill be paying sales tax on it in OK, which isnt too bad, but yeah, I had already planned on that. The whole "tax free" thing doesnt really apply, but they dont tell you that!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by TxAg98
Unfortunately, to take advantage of the discounts offered through ENCS, i have to order it while I am stationed overseas. I can't take advantage of the program once Im back stateside.
With the rising costs of fuel, by time you are home, the discounts might be greater than what you are being offered now. ENCS aside, I would do a little more research on what to expect price wise and financing options for later in the year.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 PM
TxAg98 - With ENCS, One of the things they also forget to mention(depends on your sales person) is you can also use an X-pin plan discount along with all other discounts and rebates. Thats what I am going to be doing with mine. Just waiting now for the final number to come back from Ford on that submission. Check it out on www.blueovalforums.com and look for Request for X-Pin plan or within the last 24 hours here saw someone asking for a pin on a KR and the link is within the posting. Also you can track the truck via the vin once you pull the final trigger. Hope that helps and send me a PM if you have any questions or need a direction to save about another 2100 to 2500 off the price of the truck.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:07 PM
I have had my fx4 with 5.0 for 9 days and love it. I have not driven an eb but if I had to do it all over I probably would be driving the eb. I don't really have a problem with the 5.0 but why would you take a 5.0 when you have all that tork down low and better mileage. I run company gas so I really don't care about mileage but I do notice having to turn the motor a little more to get into the tork. I am also running 33s. I know you will not with yours but I think I would go with the eb. Thank you and everyone on the site so much for putting your life on the line just for me to have my freedom! Take care and be safe.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I wish I had waited and got in the 5.0. I got a 2010 STX and having trouble with driveline vibration from 45-55. Ford won't fix so far. If at all possible, test drive, test drive, test drive. I was too eager to stay with Ford, costing me now.

Gald to have you home, I am an Army vet.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:31 PM
I agree, USAA pricing is better. It is normally 1 to 2K below invoice.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
I got my 2010 Platty for $8K less than USAA. I went to Truck Mountain (Woodhouse Ford) in Nebraska and walked out owing the guy a 12 pk of Coors. I even found better rates than USAA could offer.

Bottom line...drive a few when you get back to the states and get the price you want at the dealership. The tax break isn't worth it IMO. I just know a guy here in Afghanistan with an ENCS write up for a Cobra. He found a dealer who will beat that price by $4K already...and he didn't even begin to negotiate.

Aim High! Fly-Fight-Win

Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Okay so here is my opinion. I test drove the EB and I was impressed with the power. You mentioned that you are used to V8's rumble and if that's the case you will HATE the EB. That thing sounds ridiculous!!! It drones so bad that it would give me headache. I was all on board until I drove it. I hooked up a 20' enclosed trailer and it pulled on the loop and I was very impressed. If I were to pull a trailer on a regular basis I would buy the EB. So I bought a 2011 5.0 fX2. I love the way it sounds and to me it feels like it would wax the EB in a heads up race. The gas mileage may not be as good as the EB but I can't sacrifice the sound for mileage, and realistically it may be like 1-2 mpg better. So I highly recommend you buy the 5.0 I love my truck!!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
I think you will be able to negotiate a better deal with a dealer once you get back. Especially as fuel goes up the rebates and discounts will get bigger this year. I can get Ford's at Xplan but I have always been able to negotiate a better deal on my own.

You can always keep it simple with a reliable and powerful 5L v8. You get the sound, easy to work on and maintain yourself fewer parts to worry about.

The Eco boost is cool to have a twin turbo v6. But as you can imagine there are a lot more special and expensive parts on that engine. There is always something to be said for keeping it simple...

Quick Reply: Future F-150 with a few q's for you Ford veterans..