2009 - 2014 F-150

Your Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got the rancho and had both 35s and 34s, and would say the smaller lift is a good choice if you ever want to go with slightly smaller tires for whatever reason. 35s actually look a little small on our trucks no matter what size lift it has, but the 34s arent as goofy looking with the 4' rancho.
then again, i sometimes pull up next to a stock fx4 or an f250 and catch myself wishing it were just a little taller.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by pappa smurf
Ive got the rancho and had both 35s and 34s, and would say the smaller lift is a good choice if you ever want to go with slightly smaller tires for whatever reason. 35s actually look a little small on our trucks no matter what size lift it has, but the 34s arent as goofy looking with the 4' rancho.
then again, i sometimes pull up next to a stock fx4 or an f250 and catch myself wishing it were just a little taller.
Are you saying you are almost level with a stock FX4 and/or F250? I just really need to find a 4" rancho equipped truck next to a 6" equipped to make a better decision. I thought the 4" looks pretty damn near close to the 6". Doesn't the 4" measure closer to 5" anyway? That's what a guy at 4wheel parts told me...

Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 PM

I don't think the 6in is too tall, its just a tad taller than a stock super duty. Here's a pic of mine, same color as yours with 6.5ft bed, and it has 35's. I still think it has plenty of getty up and I haven't re-geared from my stock 3.73 gears, and I don't have a tuner. Not saying it won't help, because it would. But go with what you think looks best and suits you, 2 inches can't be that big of a difference to really matter other than for tire size and having to trim.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 01-30-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=ruffn-it;4479609]I don't think the 6in is too tall, its just a tad taller than a stock super duty. Here's a pic of mine, same color as yours with 6.5ft bed, and it has 35's. I still think it has plenty of getty up and I haven't re-geared from my stock 3.73 gears, and I don't have a tuner. Not saying it won't help, because it would. But go with what you think looks best and suits you, 2 inches can't be that big of a difference to really matter other than for tire size and having to trim.

Ruffn-it,

You're truck is badass. Even more so next to that chevy. I think I already told you that though... I had no idea it was just a little taller than a stock F250. This may change things for me. Also I have the 3.55 LSD. Does this mean I'll need to re-gear or will a tuner suffice?
Thanks!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moosenuckle
Do you think the 4" will look better or perform better?

Dude, your truck looks awesome...I like the camper shell on it too. How do you feel when cornering? Is there a lot of body roll?

Really good points. I also am going for looks mainly. So on that standpoint, do you think my truck would simply look better with the taller lift?

I really appreciate all the feedback...
I haven't had any problems cornering at all. To me it handles just as well as the factory truck. Highly recommend the BDS 6in lift with nitto trail grappler all terrains.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM

FX4life
Do you know who's truck this is? Same color as mine and we have the same rims.
Originally Posted by FX4life

Moosenuckle
I'm not a gear guro, but many people will say you should especially since you only have the 3.55's, to get the truck more back to "stock". But you can make that decision after you install the lift and tires and see how it rides. You should also consider if and how much you tow. Right now I only tow a jet ski and small trailer, but we might be getting a larger boat, and depending on its weight I might regear. Not sure how it affect my locker though. And i agree with Mwcarter, i havent noticed any excessive body roll.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 01-31-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM
also saving for lift

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 PM
4 inch.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by marshal
i come from the Jeep world were Low Center of Gravity reigns king. anything above 4.5" of lift there means you have no idea what you're talking about. i was running 37" tires with a long travel suspension on 2" of lift. its really a shame that this kind of minimalist thinking doesnt carry over to the truck world as many of the trucks on the road would look and perform a lot better than they do currently.

why lift it at all? in my opinion the whole concept of lifting is to fit a specific tire size. it is beyond me why people scream heathen and cower in fear when someone wants to run 35" tires on a level because it MIGHT rub. granted, those are the same people who flip out on the idea of taking a sawsall or cutoff disk to their truck.

now i wont start bashing someones truck because they have a 6" lift with cranked coilovers, a level and a 3" body lift ontop of it just so they can fit 40" tires. its their truck, do what they want with it. i just think minimalism should be more widely used, then again im a performance oriented person.
Knowing your a jeeper, I see where your coming from now..

still its not a fair apples to apples comparison. What I gather you prefer is off road performance and street performance (HP and such) for your new truck. In your case and wanting to maintain performance(s) it's an awesome deal, but jeep suspension and truck suspension are two different animals. More-so in the reasons and ways they are built up. Most trucks are lifted for ascetics and regain power through regearing and tuners (assuming the customer cares about that, most just want looks!), most avid jeepers (such as yourself) build off road beasts that have ability and grunt.

My preferences are to have a good looking everyday driver with at or near factory performance and then have off road toys like rock crawlers or baja trucks. I just can't get into jeeps (I tried at one time) and have never been a HP phenom, sorry

Originally Posted by ruffn-it
FX4life
Do you know who's truck this is? Same color as mine and we have the same rims.
Its some skyjacker off road sema truck. A motocross team uses it as a chase vehicle. You can sift through the sema pictures and see it or just go to the K&N website and see it and its spec's.

It seems to that a rancho 4" would be off the table, for the time being, they list the OP's configuration LB/Screw as an non-applicable truck for a 4" lift. Why, I am not sure yet..

All you lifted guys should at least consider a gear swap within a year or so of lifting, if not at the time you lift. It's good to do for a number of reasons, and I think you all would really be surprised how it would make the truck feel! In my case I had 3.73's and it was fine, no issues really for daily driving and power was adequate; but when I made the switch to 4.88's it was like a whole new truck. Just some food for thought

Last edited by FX4life; 01-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Knowing your a jeeper, I see where your coming from now..

still its not a fair apples to apples comparison. What I gather you prefer is off road performance and street performance (HP and such) for your new truck. In your case and wanting to maintain performance(s) it's an awesome deal, but jeep suspension and truck suspension are two different animals. More-so in the reasons and ways they are built up. Most trucks are lifted for ascetics and regain power through regearing and tuners (assuming the customer cares about that, most just want looks!), most avid jeepers (such as yourself) build off road beasts that have ability and grunt.

My preferences are to have a good looking everyday driver with at or near factory performance and then have off road toys like rock crawlers or baja trucks. I just can't get into jeeps (I tried at one time) and have never been a HP phenom, sorry

Its some skyjacker off road sema truck. A motocross team uses it as a chase vehicle. You can sift through the sema pictures and see it or just go to the K&N website and see it and its spec's.

It seems to that a rancho 4" would be off the table, for the time being, they list the OP's configuration LB/Screw as an non-applicable truck for a 4" lift. Why, I am not sure yet..

All you lifted guys should at least consider a gear swap within a year or so of lifting, if not at the time you lift. It's good to do for a number of reasons, and I think you all would really be surprised how it would make the truck feel! In my case I had 3.73's and it was fine, no issues really for daily driving and power was adequate; but when I made the switch to 4.88's it was like a whole new truck. Just some food for thought
What type of gas mileage difference did you get running the 4.88 gears vs. the 3.73 gears? My truck has the 3.73 and told as long as I go 35's and under, no need to regear. Whats the pros and cons between the two and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it to change the gears? thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 AM

Your running larger 37in tires and a 8in lift right? Did you have the 4.88's with 35's too? 35's with my stock 3.73's is as far as im willing to go without regearing, and regearing is still on the table. My main reason to regear would be for towing, getting back some of the ability to tow heavier loads without issues, and obviously more power is always nice. My only conerns are the warranty, if I will loose my locker, and obviously the price. But for now towings not an issue and i drive my truck only like 3000 miles a year. I am worried however about tuners, heard horror stories with lifted trucks/larger tires breaking stuff, and again warranty.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 02-01-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 AM
if the ranchos off the table, then i guess it doesnt matter but yes, my truck sits right about level with a stock f-250. theres a photo of mine next to a leveled f-150 fx4 and its really not that much higher. shame about the rancho not being availiable for lwb since running 34s with your gears would probably be ideal.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 AM
oh, and its 5.25' in the front.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mwcarter41
What type of gas mileage difference did you get running the 4.88 gears vs. the 3.73 gears? My truck has the 3.73 and told as long as I go 35's and under, no need to regear. Whats the pros and cons between the two and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it to change the gears? thanks
I also want to know the answer to this...and with my limited knowledge, I don't think it'd be neccessary to go with 4.88s but maybe 4.10s at the most?
Originally Posted by pappa smurf
if the ranchos off the table, then i guess it doesnt matter but yes, my truck sits right about level with a stock f-250. theres a photo of mine next to a leveled f-150 fx4 and its really not that much higher. shame about the rancho not being availiable for lwb since running 34s with your gears would probably be ideal.
pappa smurf, thanks for the info. Your truck still looks sweet and it is a little disappointing that the Rancho won't fit on my lwb but that makes it easier for me!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
thanks man. i gotta get a few updated pics since i just put on some bushwackers but shes even better now!

Quick Reply: Your Opinions