2009 - 2014 F-150

Your Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mwcarter41
What type of gas mileage difference did you get running the 4.88 gears vs. the 3.73 gears? My truck has the 3.73 and told as long as I go 35's and under, no need to regear. Whats the pros and cons between the two and if you don't mind me asking, how much was it to change the gears? thanks
Your probably fine, but don't quote me on that. With the new 6 speed trans the exact gear ratios are probably different from what I'm used to with the 4 speed trans. As long as you think it feels fine and it does what you need still there might not be a need to regear. A tune would probably help, but isn't required as long as the truck has been adjusted for the proper tire size.

The pros of regearing are things like less wear and tear on the trans, more power, possibility of improved mileage (depends on the chosen ratio), and overall you would find that the truck worked less to turn the extra weight of larger tires.

The cons would be things like cost, installation and setup (if not done properly), and in FX4's I'm not sure how it would work with the factor locker (I don't see why it wouldn't, but it might not who knows?)

I couldn't comment on the gas mileage, I have never really kept a tally, at most times I don't care to know At the worst it was 6-7 mpg and the best it was 12-13; but I have a completely different truck from you guys and a completely different setup. I'd bet you guys are looking at mileages around 12-14, probably a bit better.

The cost really depends on location and who is doing the work. I payed about 1600. I'd bet going rate could be anywhere between 1000-1600..

Originally Posted by ruffn-it
Your running larger 37in tires and a 8in lift right? Did you have the 4.88's with 35's too? 35's with my stock 3.73's is as far as im willing to go without regearing, and regearing is still on the table. My main reason to regear would be for towing, getting back some of the ability to tow heavier loads without issues, and obviously more power is always nice. My only conerns are the warranty, if I will loose my locker, and obviously the price. But for now towings not an issue and i drive my truck only like 3000 miles a year. I am worried however about tuners, heard horror stories with lifted trucks/larger tires breaking stuff, and again warranty.
No I never have had 35's; just 37's, now 38's. I ran 3.73's for about 350 miles while driving home and then swapped for 4.88's. In your case and wanting to tow looking into a 4.10 or 4.56 might not be a bad idea, again I am not terribly sure which would be better with the 6 speed trans. It would be my educated guess 4.10 would regain near factory ratio and 4.56 would give more pulling power. If your satisfied i wouldn't really worry about it, in the long run its something to consider, but at only 3k a year I doubt it will be an issue.

tuner's are a whole other animal... That really depends on the dealer and how mod friendly they are... I got nailed by a dealer when i had a hydro-lock situation thanks to the injectors. Even though the tuner didn't cause the failure I was stuck and legally pursuing it would have cost more than it was worth. some folks get by just fine and the dealer is easy to work with on those things; best thing to do really is check it out. i wouldn't worry about breaking things with a tuner, especially with the 5.4; just go with a reputable tuner like PHP, VMP or Troyer and you should be fine.

It's all subjective really to how much you want to spend, what you feel you need, etc.. I carry general knowledge of the subjects, but normally let the pros handle things like the axles, trans, and tuning.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
My only conerns are the warranty, if I will loose my locker, and obviously the price. But for now towings not an issue and i drive my truck only like 3000 miles a year. I am worried however about tuners, heard horror stories with lifted trucks/larger tires breaking stuff, and again warranty.
With the Ford 9.75" rear end, do you have to be concerned with carrier compatibility as you move to numerically higher gear ratios? If so, then that will be a concern for those with a factory e-locker.

It's been many years since I have done a re-gear, but when I was really into 4wheeling and building my early Bronco, the Ford 9" carrier was different depending on gear ratio. I installed Detroit Lockers ft/rr and it was physically a different unit for 3.55 gears vs. 4.56 gears.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
Your probably fine, but don't quote me on that. With the new 6 speed trans the exact gear ratios are probably different from what I'm used to with the 4 speed trans. As long as you think it feels fine and it does what you need still there might not be a need to regear. A tune would probably help, but isn't required as long as the truck has been adjusted for the proper tire size.

The pros of regearing are things like less wear and tear on the trans, more power, possibility of improved mileage (depends on the chosen ratio), and overall you would find that the truck worked less to turn the extra weight of larger tires.

The cons would be things like cost, installation and setup (if not done properly), and in FX4's I'm not sure how it would work with the factor locker (I don't see why it wouldn't, but it might not who knows?)

I couldn't comment on the gas mileage, I have never really kept a tally, at most times I don't care to know At the worst it was 6-7 mpg and the best it was 12-13; but I have a completely different truck from you guys and a completely different setup. I'd bet you guys are looking at mileages around 12-14, probably a bit better.

The cost really depends on location and who is doing the work. I payed about 1600. I'd bet going rate could be anywhere between 1000-1600..

No I never have had 35's; just 37's, now 38's. I ran 3.73's for about 350 miles while driving home and then swapped for 4.88's. In your case and wanting to tow looking into a 4.10 or 4.56 might not be a bad idea, again I am not terribly sure which would be better with the 6 speed trans. It would be my educated guess 4.10 would regain near factory ratio and 4.56 would give more pulling power. If your satisfied i wouldn't really worry about it, in the long run its something to consider, but at only 3k a year I doubt it will be an issue.

tuner's are a whole other animal... That really depends on the dealer and how mod friendly they are... I got nailed by a dealer when i had a hydro-lock situation thanks to the injectors. Even though the tuner didn't cause the failure I was stuck and legally pursuing it would have cost more than it was worth. some folks get by just fine and the dealer is easy to work with on those things; best thing to do really is check it out. i wouldn't worry about breaking things with a tuner, especially with the 5.4; just go with a reputable tuner like PHP, VMP or Troyer and you should be fine.

It's all subjective really to how much you want to spend, what you feel you need, etc.. I carry general knowledge of the subjects, but normally let the pros handle things like the axles, trans, and tuning.
When I lifted my truck, I bought the Flash Paq Super chip as well so the tire size etc... has been updated for the computer of my truck. Before the lift, I was only getting 13-14mpg. With the chip in Tow Mode,(which I was told was the best all around setting) your suppose to use 93 octane but I have tried it in 87 octane for a few tanks and currently I am getting about 12mpg with the lift and bigger tires added. My truck also has the 6 speed transmission in which seems to still have good power and shifts well. I think the 3.73 gears and 6speed transmission work well but time will tell. Will find out soon. Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Mwcarter41
When I lifted my truck, I bought the Flash Paq Super chip as well so the tire size etc... has been updated for the computer of my truck. Before the lift, I was only getting 13-14mpg. With the chip in Tow Mode,(which I was told was the best all around setting) your suppose to use 93 octane but I have tried it in 87 octane for a few tanks and currently I am getting about 12mpg with the lift and bigger tires added. My truck also has the 6 speed transmission in which seems to still have good power and shifts well. I think the 3.73 gears and 6speed transmission work well but time will tell. Will find out soon. Thanks
if it works and it ain't broke don't fix it, right

Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Assuming it's available, I vote for the 4 inch rancho with 34's or 35's.

I think there's a forum member by the name of desert dawg with this set up. Search his pics.......sick truck and this lift/tire combo has the perfect proportions IMHO.

I run heavy 34's with 3.73's and a php tuner on the 6-speed tranny and it runs very well for what it's worth. I have absolutely no need to regear unless I start towing a lot more stuff.

Keep us posted!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the input. Yeah I have to agree Desert Dawgs truck is truly a sweet set-up! It will be a shame if I can't use the Rancho at all but maybe by the time I'm ready for the lift, they'll have one engineered for LWB truck!

Quick Reply: Your Opinions