2009 - 2014 F-150

Lb. rating of your ball hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
CD1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lb. rating of your ball hitch

I was skimming through the Bass Pro Shops catalog last night and I stopped in the section where they sell ball hitches. The highest rated ball they had was a one-inch shank that was rated at 6,000 lb. capacity.

This caught my attention because my truck is rated to 9,600 lbs.

I have to assume that the one I bought last year from Bass Pro shops has a similar limitation. I imagine I checked it when I bought it...and I don't tow anywhere near 9,600 lbs...but I'd like to have the proper gear for the odd time when I'll be pulling some heavier equipment.

Is this as simple as an increase in shank size leads to an increase in capacity or is there a metallurgical explanation that would cause other 1 inch shanks to have a greater capacity than others?

What say you F150 forum? What is your ball hitch rated to?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Most basic tow bars are like you say 6k lbs. Which is fine for 90% of your hauling. You can buy a forged 10k rated tow bar with 1.25" shank if you like excess. Our trucks recommend WD or weight distributing hitch for anything over 500# tongue or 5K gross trailer anyway. Those are approximate #'s without digging out the manual... All WD hitches are rated for much higher weights.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Same thing goes with hitch piece too, especially if its a drop hitch. I think my reese brand drop hitch is only rated 5k, and the ball 7k with the one inch shank. I was going to upgrade when we by a bigger boat, but its definitely something to pay attention too. Check online, or tractor supply, northern tool, for better ratings.

Quick Reply: Lb. rating of your ball hitch