2009 - 2014 F-150

XLT Options (and lack of)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLT Options (and lack of)

I'm very interested in an XLT ecoboost, so I loaded one up to over 40K list, but the dealer said I can't get power folding mirrors or a drivers 10-way power seat. They come with the basic Lariat that lists for less. Yes, a different cab, but for over 40K list price, I don't think I should have to fold the mirrors in the rain or not get the seat in the position that's comfortable. The dealer said I'm certainly not the first to complain about that and similar option issues. What do you think??

Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM
the folding mirrors, is one of things ford missed....... that gm has.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM
You can get a 6 way power driver's seat with the convenience package- it's not 10 way but plenty good.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Two things swayed me away from buying an xlt as compared to the fx4 I went with. First was the lack of options, specifically a moonroof. Not everyone wants a loaded up lariat to have a few creature comforts. Second, I couldnt stand the fact that there really is no center console in the XLT's. I dont know what purpose this serves, but it was absolutely not interesting to me. ON a side note but related, why does no one make cloth seats that are heated? Not all of us who live in cold climates want leather seats. Just a thought......

Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different Strokes for Different Folks.

I had truck center consoles, adjustable pedals, moonroofs, sunroofs, and tons of overbloated features. These are trucks, they make the Lincoln Navigator for those who have to have creature comforts. Now I'm not trying to be mean or start a fued, I've been there with all the fluff, and I'm very happy with my XLT. It's just what I'd want but it has a few features I'd rather be without.

I've had power seats on many vehicles, I really do not like them. A standard seat is fixed in the correct posture sitting position. A power seat can get out of position and tilt you to much forward or to much backward. I HATE having to screw with the dam* controls to find the correct sitting position that I've had with manual seats.

Adjustable pedals are for short people and I'm not one, I dislike them. The F150 is OK but my previous Pathfinder was terrible. The none adjustable pedals were great and sat in the correct position. The adjustable pedal option I had, even when put all the way back, was still more forward and cramped my legs. The none adjustable pedals didn't cause me this problem as they sat further back toward the firewall.

I absolutely hate moonroofs. They cause the area by my head to be cold in the winter because the glass obvioulsy isn't an insulation barrier, they take away A LOT of headroom that I use. I was scraping my hat and head on my Pathfinder's roof because it was lowered to acommidate the moonroof. I also didn't like having the sun in my eyes from the moonroof's glare.

I also hate center consoles in full size trucks. They are offered in midsize trucks because there's not enough room between the seats to be useful, so they fill it in with a console. We did a search for a truck with a 40/20/40 bench seat in front as I wouldn't not buy one with a center console. I have more storage space in my truck than the one that had a dedicated storage console. My middle seat back folds forward for 2 cup holders, and has tons of storage in there. Then my middle seat has 2 more cup holders on the floor that pulls out from underneith the seat. This is handy for coins, cellphones, and bottled water while the top cup holders, hold a pop. PLUS the bottom seat cushion folds back for more deep storage underneith it. I now have a middle seat for another person and have cup holders there when someones sitting there. PLUS when no person is there, I have 4 cup holders with 2 large storage areas. This to me is the premium offering, not the standalone console.

The one feature I didn't want that I actually fell in love with after owning, is the sync package. This is very VERY useful for everyone. I now have handsfree talking on my phone where it even mutes my radio. Plus I have voice navigation with text, which is huge IMO. Then I can control my MP3s through voice commands where I can keep my eyes on the road. Then there's traffic information and business search. For the minimal price this was, it's a lot of bang for your buck!

I also can not stand leather seats. They get old and get spider crack and look terrible. They are also easily cut by sharp objects in pockets. I'll never have leather in a car. Cloth seats are easier to clean, and feel better IMO. My step son's first comments after I bought the truck were, hope you didn't get leather, as he doesn't like them either.

A nice premium stereo option would had been nice but truthfully, I've always been disappointed in the high end speaker/subwoofer systems offered today in cars. The subwoofers are not true subwoofers but glorified mid and upper bass woofers that are pumped up and sound quality is definitely not audiophile. I'll keep my Denon, HK, and Infinity components in my Music/Home Theater system. I just don't like the idea of spending a lot of money on subpar sound, then it's got to go when I get rid of the vehicle.

I was actually disappointed in the FX4 as you couldn't just get the off road features without getting a lot fluff that seems in opposition to an off road vehicle. I think that's why for 2011, they offered an off road option package, that's available for all models.

Just my opinion, as I said, Different Strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Mike Up; 01-31-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Also, the more options and bells and whistles, the quicker your payload capacity goes down the drain. Some people just need a truck to do work!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Don't forget the more options and bells and whistles, the more things to go wrong!

Quick Reply: XLT Options (and lack of)