2009 - 2014 F-150

Fog Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bshipley78
They have been working great... I have them on all the time when lights are needed. As for matching... they look great paired up with the head lights

Thanks for getting back to me. So did you go with the 9145's for the fogs and then the 9008's for the heads? What was your configuration/where did you pick them up? Thanks again, preciate the help! I'm gonna be tackling this install this coming weekend once I sort out the purchase!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
ive had silverstars in headlights and fogs for over 2 years. one fog burnt out. and then the other the next day. when the lights are on . fogs are on .

i replaced fogs with high power LED replacements. 6K color temp 13watt. same price as syl-silverstars. and way better light pattern in the ditch. whiter, brighter light. only been brighted 1x when i passed a toyota yaris. cause the seat is just higher than the fog light .. haha..

also installed switchbacks in front park/turn.. 6k, 20 white leds -parking mode. 20 amber for turn. then 'switch back ' white when blinkers are not blinging. 2 seconds later. love em.. and adds a bit more useable light. lense is not straight clear. there are prisims inside so it does not blind people. and cops state they are fine.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by BETCHER78
ive had silverstars in headlights and fogs for over 2 years. one fog burnt out. and then the other the next day. when the lights are on . fogs are on .

i replaced fogs with high power LED replacements. 6K color temp 13watt. same price as syl-silverstars. and way better light pattern in the ditch. whiter, brighter light. only been brighted 1x when i passed a toyota yaris. cause the seat is just higher than the fog light .. haha..

also installed switchbacks in front park/turn.. 6k, 20 white leds -parking mode. 20 amber for turn. then 'switch back ' white when blinkers are not blinging. 2 seconds later. love em.. and adds a bit more useable light. lense is not straight clear. there are prisims inside so it does not blind people. and cops state they are fine.

Where did you end up getting your LED's? How do they match your heads?
Pretty easy install? Just plug and play, no balast since its not HID, right?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by CoastalTraditio
Thanks for getting back to me. So did you go with the 9145's for the fogs and then the 9008's for the heads? What was your configuration/where did you pick them up? Thanks again, preciate the help! I'm gonna be tackling this install this coming weekend once I sort out the purchase!
Yes the 9008's/H-13 and the 9145.
I picked up the fogs at Advanced Auto and the head lights on Amazon

Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LEDs used in fog lights are not meant for lighting purposes. They only put out about 150-300 lumens. They are primarily used for cosmetics ONLY. You were flashed because LEDs strike the reflector differently than halogens, causing upward glare (into oncoming drivers eyes).

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
LEDs used in fog lights are not meant for lighting purposes. They only put out about 150-300 lumens. They are primarily used for cosmetics ONLY. You were flashed because LEDs strike the reflector differently than halogens, causing upward glare (into oncoming drivers eyes).
Actually they are exactly the same as a bulb. from the test in the driveway before i swapped both.

light from a halogen bulb, and led bulb are exactly the same as the lense is an open design.with a smooth reflecting surface. the light pattern is exactly the same. there is no deflector in front of the bulb in the fogs. unlike the headlamps.
and with the 'white' light . vs a slightly whiter light( sylvania ultrastars used before.). people think they are 100watts or something. as some people have stated asked me " those must be high wattage bulbs or HID's.

they produce more useable light than the 9145s did. at least in my opinion . they light up the road better and im glad i switched. i installed one of the original 9140s i had. and one LED bulb. same glare either way. i also asked before i bought them, and they stated if you were brighted before you will still get brighted. because people perceive them to be brighter.

also i leveled the front end. so thats probably most of it. !
and ive only been brighted one time. they have been installed for two months.
info is below. v-leds is where i have bought all my LEDs for the pickup. they also sell strips for bed light - and other light 'kits'
LEDS from www.v-leds.com
Part #:
9005_28_W_6K

Emitting Color:
Cool White

Forward Voltage (DC):
11.5-14.5V

Total Luminous Intensity:
400 lm

Color Temperature:

Viewing Angle:

in terms of matching a head light. not even close. i also have the switchback white-running , amber -tuns in.. they match the fogs. and the side marker lamps are 6k white in amber lense.

i beleive it looks good. even the parking lams- now white when not turning give more light to the road. the lense is not perfect inside. not a smooth forwared facing surface . so no glare . just light.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by CoastalTraditio
Where did you end up getting your LED's? How do they match your heads?
Pretty easy install? Just plug and play, no balast since its not HID, right?
no ballast. some vehicles might throw a bulb out code. toyota/lexus and some other cars do this. possibly toyota pickups sometimes complain from what i have read.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Actually they are exactly the same as a bulb. from the test in the driveway before i swapped both.
what is exactly the same?

light from a halogen bulb, and led bulb are exactly the same as the lense is an open design.with a smooth reflecting surface.
No, the reflectors are in a spherical shape the match the shape of the bulb, and all point towards the focal point (one centralized point in the housing in which all the light comes from) since one sigle filament emits the light. An LED is a long, cylindrical shape, and the LEDs only have a short beam width. The LEDs do strike the reflector, but not as effectively.

the light pattern is exactly the same. there is no deflector in front of the bulb in the fogs. unlike the headlamps.
That is impossible. You may think it is, but it isn't. Like I said, the focal point if TOTALLY different since your reflectors are shaped for a halogen bulb. And what do you mean "deflector"? The glare cap? That is there for a reason on headlights. The headlights are meant to be on during passing traffic. Foglights are not, they are meant for inclement weather. While 99% of us who have them don't use this way (including me) foglights are MEANT to have glare to pierce the fog. Same principal for high beams.

and with the 'white' light . vs a slightly whiter light( sylvania ultrastars used before.). people think they are 100watts or something. as some people have stated asked me " those must be high wattage bulbs or HID's.
Do you know the difference in color? Yellow pierces the dark better than white does. It is easier on the eyes as well. There have been literally hundreds of studies on this over the years.

they produce more useable light than the 9145s did. at least in my opinion.
They dont.

9145 28W LED- 400lm (using the information you gave me)
9145 45W Halogen- 1100lm (can be seen here, post one, scroll down to 9145)

they light up the road better and im glad i switched. i installed one of the original 9140s i had. and one LED bulb. same glare either way. i also asked before i bought them, and they stated if you were brighted before you will still get brighted. because people perceive them to be brighter.
With a MUCH lower luminous efficacy and light pattern, I highly doubt the first statement. And who did you ask, the pin heads at V-LED? Yeah they are real smart people, they messed up my order twice and I'm close to almost a 5 week wait because the people there don't know anything about bulbs.

also i leveled the front end. so thats probably most of it. !
and ive only been brighted one time. they have been installed for two months.
info is below. v-leds is where i have bought all my LEDs for the pickup. they also sell strips for bed light - and other light 'kits'
LEDS from www.v-leds.com
Part #:
9005_28_W_6K

Emitting Color:
Cool White

Forward Voltage (DC):
11.5-14.5V

Total Luminous Intensity:
400 lm

Color Temperature:

Viewing Angle:
Leveled as raised or lowered? In which case, did you re-aim your headlights and fog lights? Ford OEM fogs should emit light from .5 feet to 15 feet. Like I said, I am very familiar with V-LEDS.com.

in terms of matching a head light. not even close. i also have the switchback white-running , amber -tuns in.. they match the fogs. and the side marker lamps are 6k white in amber lense.

i beleive it looks good. even the parking lams- now white when not turning give more light to the road. the lense is not perfect inside. not a smooth forwared facing surface . so no glare . just light.
Well I'm glad for you. I'm not knocking your setup or saying they are stupid- I am just correcting some misunderstood information here. In the end- to each their own.

tl;dr- LEDs are a very great light source, but only in a controlled environment (meaning they were built for a specific purpose like flux board tail lights or DRLs). LED swap-in bulbs are just like HIDs. You are swapping an incorrect light source into a housing not designed for it. Like I said, cosmetic purposes only. Also, if you look at the bottom of that page:

Originally Posted by V-LEDS

These bulbs are intended for use as a Day Time Running light or for aesthetic purposes only. They are a great match for HID headlights but not intended to be used as a primary source of light.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 03-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
if your not bashing . then dont comment . i read all the same stuff you do.
i had like a 4 page rant i was going to come back with on how you always have to comment on everyhting and have the last word. but i typed it out. and then felt better.

so im sticking with this simple response.
have a nice week.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I'm not going to jump into the rant just got a question about the fog lights I purchased. I have a 09 FX4 and installed the Putco H10 12v/42w 4000k mirrow white (PN 230010MW) I am wondering if they are going to be to hot and screw up my housing? I don't use fogs much either. Also really interested in the vled's switchbacks anyone got pics/vid on them in a nbs?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I want to upgrade my fogs but thought the housings would work with something stronger, the silverstars are a constant suggestion, but on my last car it melted the harnesses and my headlights were dim and screwed up after I went back. Anybody experience this?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey,

I have tried searching and this is the only thread that seems to come up. I have a 2012 supercrew XLT/XTR on order and will want to change the lights when I get it. I recently bought a complete HID kit for my wife's 2009 focus ses before we decided to trade it in, so I would like to use it in the F150. The headlights are the same in the F150 as the focus (H13's) but the fogs are different but same style. Focus - H11. F150 - 9140.

My question is would the H11's I have work in the stock fog housing? they are a 35W bulb/ballast.

Thanks
Brent

Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM

No.

HIDs in a halogen reflector is going to blind the crap out of everyone you drive past

Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I just want to know if the actual H11 bulb is compatible with the wiring and socket of the stock 2012 XLT?

Quick Reply: Fog Lights?