2009 - 2014 F-150

New Member first post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member first post!

Hello I've been lurking on these boards for a few months now. Since I have been considering getting a pickup again. I'm currently considering a Tundra or the F150. A buddy of mine just got a 2010 and the interior seemed really superior to the Tundra's. I currently drive a Honda Accord that I purchased a few years out of college because it was extremely practical. But I've been a homeowner for almost 5 years now and I borrow family members trucks almost every weekend. I've also been hunting more and driving out into the field in my Honda isn't practical.
One of the concerns I have with a truck is its off-road-ability being that I will be driving out into muddy duck blinds. But also that this will be my daily driver and I have a 40 mile round trip commute each day, so mpg is a concern. I am considering an XLT, with a locking differential, with the Ecoboost engine. I will likely tow a 18' boat and possibly a camper but I do not regularly tow. I've been trying to read threads on pricing, reliability, gas mileage, but as the truck hasn't really been released yet many of those threads don't exist.
I'd really prefer not to spend more than $35k on this vehicle.

Considering:
Tundra 5.7 DC, CM
F150 5.0,3.5 CC

Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the forums. If you want better gas mileage then don't the tundra! That thing gets like 12mpg. I have a 2wd 5.0 w/ 3.55's and I get about 15mpg in town (that's mainly all I drive). You can get either one of these for under $35. I bought my luxury Fx2 a couple of weeks ago for $31,400.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 AM
well good luck with your search and welcome to the forum. is mpg are a concern, the ford is your winner, but the tundra is not a bad choice. i wouldn't get one personally but that is just me.

the tundra comes lowered geared stock but the ford is very capable with the 3.73's.

can you get the xlt with the EB engine?

anyway, this forum is very pro ford of course and that is to be expected. try to look thru the fan boy hype and see what issues each truck has had in the past/present. have you joined a tundra forum?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the replies, the 5.7 Tundra guys seem to be getting 15-17 with some higher forum averages. The MPG seems inline with Fords V8s, maybe a tad lower. I am part of a Tundra forum as well, Tundra Talk. And yes the XLT is available with the EB engine.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:53 PM
If there is any way you can keep the Accord for the daily driver, you certainly won't need to be as concerned with fuel mileage on the truck. I'd certainly be leary of buying a Toyota, especially if you are going to be doing some off-roading. The Ford has the strongest frame and when equipped with the locker will be quite good off road. The Toyota isn't a bad choice and it comes down to what you like the best.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Chug
If there is any way you can keep the Accord for the daily driver, you certainly won't need to be as concerned with fuel mileage on the truck. I'd certainly be leary of buying a Toyota, especially if you are going to be doing some off-roading. The Ford has the strongest frame and when equipped with the locker will be quite good off road. The Toyota isn't a bad choice and it comes down to what you like the best.
I certainly could keep the Honda, but I'd have to continue to pay taxes and insurance on it, not sure what the insurance is probably $50 a month. And I would lose the 6-8k trade in. Which is another 6K financed. Toyota has locking differential on the Tacoma, but not the Tundra for some reason.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
you say you're considering getting a truck and you're thinking about a dang toyota? lol

Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM
correct me if i'am wrong but i think you can only get the locking diff in the FX4 and Raptor.
plus if you want a truck for off road go with the FX4.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Here is a nice bit of video for you if you are considering a tundra-

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2010/

click on the durability video and pay attention to how the toyota is trying to shake itself apart. And everything I have heard is that their 5.7 is a gas guzzler. Dont get me wrong, its a strong powertrain, but guzzles gas like all get out. And to captain awesome, yes you can get the locking rear diff on the XLT, Lariat, and King Ranch trims if you buy one with the off road package on it.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Just get the best selling truck - end of story. By the way, ask the tundra dudes how their tailgates are doing.......

Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks Gerrard155. ok so there standard on the FX4 and Raptor and options on the others?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow! I had a mirror image of your situation last year, no BS. I was the owner of a 2002 Honda Accord that I had bought a little out of college, and I had been a homeowner for 5 years when I started shopping for my first truck. I drove all 5 full size trucks, and my personal finalists were the Dodge Ram and the F150. That choice for me was really hard, as I loved the Ram too. But I decided on a 2010 F150 Crew Cab F150 w/ 5.4 and 4wd, LS diff, and 3.55.
I couldn't be happier w/ my Ford. It's just a really nice all around truck. Looks great, plenty of power to tow, lots of room, and it's a great American icon. My 3 kids ride in the back in comfort. It rocks through heavy Pennsylvania snow storms, and hauls my fishing kayaks easily. I don't tow heavy things often, but I could if I wanted to!
The Toyota's nice, but I just felt the Ford was made better from top to bottom. I can see myself driving my truck in 10 years because of the quality.
Good luck in your search. It's alot of fun picking out a new truck!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:05 PM
If your worried about mileage get an extra set of the cheapest rims you can and put some good sized mud terrains on them and keep small highway tread tires on the regular wheels.

That is what a few of my friends do. You should see a little chevy I4 colorado try to turn 35" MTs on a daily basis.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
The toyota tundras are nice I really like one my dad has. It gets on average about 16-17mpg driven hard mostly so its not as bad as most say it is but he has the 4x4 trd ext cab 4 door version with the 5.7. All in all though I would not trade my truck for the toyota the gas tanks are so small I borrowed his truck and had to fill up twice a week where my truck would only need to get filled once. They seem to cost the same amount of money to drive over all as his tank cost about half the amount that mine costs to fill up. All in all I would go for a ford just because they feel solid and just feel right haha.

Quick Reply: New Member first post!