2009 - 2014 F-150

4x4 problem or alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 problem or alignment?

So its been icy here in dallas this last week so i actually had a chance to use the 4wd and it seemed to work just fine the first time but after a few more uses i noticed that the truck tracks straight in 4wd but in 2wd and on perfectly dry streets it pulls hard to the left now. I just had my tires swapped out to allterrains, and they messed up the balance but it wasnt doing this before i used the 4wd. could this be an alignment thing or a bad tire or something worse?
incidentally, i have a rancho 4' lift and 34s.

Last edited by pappa smurf; 02-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Sounds like an alignment problem, how much of a pull do you get?. But save a bit of money and check a few things first, if you havent already done so.

-I would first check the tire pressure in all four tires make sure they are the same.
-Usually roads are crowned for drainage, try to find a flat surface to see if you are tracking straight. My truck usually pulls right on city streets with the crown, but on the interstate its usually pretty straight, ie less of a crown.
-You can also rotate your tires, see if it helps or starts pulling the other direction, which could mean one tire could be worn a little more or different.
-But obviously taking it in for an alignment would let you know for sure, and make sure your tie rods and such are good to go.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 PM
hey thanks for helping me on this one ruffn-it.
oddly enough, mines always tracked slightly left since the lift kit. id thought it was these tires since it lessened when i switched to the toyo m/ts, but maybe it was just that they were newer and not worn that way. i noticed that the front left tire bulges out more than the others even though they all have the same pressure. id actually prefer an alignment issue since that would be a cheaper fix but maybe i'll luck out and have both problems. either way, i told the dealer about it and am taking it in monday. im just hoping its not something broken that they can hassle me over because of the lift kit.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 PM
you dont think the 4wd could have caused something to bind or break do you?

Quick Reply: 4x4 problem or alignment?