2009 - 2014 F-150

Removing dealership ID

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing dealership ID

I have this feeling the dealership is going to place their logo on the back of my new truck. I haven't had one on any car I've owned in over 15 years, and I'm not about to start now. The dealership uses a think hard plastic emblem, exactly how do I get this thing off my truck "if" they put it on? If I pay for advertising, I don't think I should have to advertise.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Tell your salesman that you don't want it on there. I always do. Same with license plate frames etc.

Otherwise they peel off easily by hand. Just go slow and a hairdryer to heat it up also helps. I peeled off the flexfuel emblem on mine.

Last edited by Pig9r; 02-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
I told him that already. He didn't inspire confidence that it would not be on there. The decals are easy to get off, just peel them off.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 AM
That's always the first thing I remove....you are not alone! Dealership ID badges suck. The little cheap chrome plastic ones pit and look like crap in a short time anyway.

Simple fix. Here's what you do. In most cases, you can get a finger under a corner and pull the thing off. If you can't get a corner of it with your fingers, take a piece of fishing line and gently go behind it to "saw" through the adhesive. Make sure you keep it pulled tight and don't get too aggressive...you don't want to scratch up the body. Once it's off, take some 3M Adhesive Remover...I get it at my local paint and body supply shop in a tin can and use it for all kinds of things...but there are similar products at any AutoZone, Advanced Auto...heck, probably Wal-Mart. Take a cloth, put some of the adhesive remover on it, and work it into the adhesive. It will take the adhesive residue right off and you will never know it was there.

One time, back when my new company truck was a Dodge, I did that right after I bought it....and the dealership stuck another one back on it when I took it back for service the first time. I knew the service manager and it was a running joke, but I would take it back off every time. LOL

PS. Tell your salesperson that if an ID badge is on there, all hell is going to break loose and the deal's off. When I bought my Mustang, I told the salesperson up front that if anybody comes within 10' of the front of my car wanting to drill some plastic license plate holder into the front bumper, deal's off.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
You can also purchase a plastic "razor blade" made to remove adhesive stickers/badges from most body shop supply store's. They are made specifically for the purpose of removing stickers, etc. I used them back when I was a Service Manager. Ensure you get a good coat of polish and wax on the body after removing the sticker.

I need to do the same.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Plastic Razor blade and some goo-gone or adhesive remover.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Dealer badge removal is the first thing that I do when I pull a new one into the driveway. I wonder how the dealership would like it if I stuck a sign for my business on their front door?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
i told him that already. He didn't inspire confidence that it would not be on there. The decals are easy to get off, just peel them off.
REALLY!!!!!demand it,,who's buying the truck!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiz
PS. Tell your salesperson that if an ID badge is on there, all hell is going to break loose and the deal's off. When I bought my Mustang, I told the salesperson up front that if anybody comes within 10' of the front of my car wanting to drill some plastic license plate holder into the front bumper, deal's off.
I did that when I bought my 05 and even had it written on the buyers order. Sure enough one of them was on the back of my truck when I picked it up from having it detailed (it was raining when I bought it so they detailed it later). I saw it , stormed back in and demanded to have the keys to my old truck back and shred all of the paperwork. One salesman started mouthing at me like it was no big deal and to do it myself. My salesman knew what was on the paperwork and got it taken care of in a hurry.

They are easy to peal off if they are fresh. After they have been there for a while they are more work.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I always let them know up front not to put one on my vehicles. I also tell them I do accept sponsorships for my fishing team & should they decide to put one on there include first months sponsorship check for $250 & I will gladly advertise for them @ $250 a month. Usually does the trick but I had one dealer put one on & when I requested my check they removed it right then.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FUZZYDP
I always let them know up front not to put one on my vehicles. I also tell them I do accept sponsorships for my fishing team & should they decide to put one on there include first months sponsorship check for $250 & I will gladly advertise for them @ $250 a month. Usually does the trick but I had one dealer put one on & when I requested my check they removed it right then.
"Sponsorship" is a good way to word it. Before I would just ask how much they are gonna pay me to advertise for them. Now, I'll use the term sponsorship in future transactions. Sponsor my daily commute, trips to the dump and lumber yard, etc...Thanks for the idea! I hate those stickers, too.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Your welcome. It gets their attention pretty quick.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
every other vehicle right when i took it home for the first time, i took the dealership name off....
but this one was different. my dealership was great, the service is great, and i have left it on, and the tag frame, and the hitch blank...

**** Smith Ford....

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I took off the dealer decal (as well as the Flex Fuel emblem) but I still have the tag frame on like Dr.J. I actually had a great purchase experience.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:52 PM
When you're doing x-plan it's kind of hard not to have a decent purchase experience.

Quick Reply: Removing dealership ID