2009 - 2014 F-150

4 hour test drive yesterday. 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The traction control does have 'active brake limit slip' or as Ford calls it 'brake traction control' so you should never 'one wheel' it unless you turn the TC off. I really love my traction I get, could all be the limit slip axle, don't know. Only time I lose traction is where both rear tires are spinning, then it's time for 4WD.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyboy61
I'm not a big fan of the traction control but in my 2011 F-150 I feel like it's much less intrusive than on my 2009. I don't know if it's any different but I like it better. I really wish Ford but make an option to turn off all 3 controls no matter what speed you go. When you're stuck and spinning your tires to get out of snow or mud it's almost impossible not to go over 35 mph.
Rumor is that the '12's are gonna have that option, along with a 36 gallon fuel tank on the Eco-Boost

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Update: ECO testdrive

Finally got to drive the ECOBoost yesterday.

What an experience. First off, At this one particular stop sign, I was getting 15.1 on the meter with the 5.0. So i drove the exact same route and tried to drive it the exact same up to that stop sign. It was sitting at 12.3 in the Ecoboost. This truck rode rougher and wasnt as smooth as the 5.0.

Over the whole trip, i only averaged 13.1 mpg. The turbo's were definitely louder than i expected. The exhaust had NO rumble what so ever. And the worst part is, I was about 40 miles into the drive and the transmission automatically kicked down from 6th to 1st. Barked the tires pretty good, threw the truck sideways in the road, RPM's cranked up to 7 grand. Im lucky I saved it. Almost threw me into the hillside. After the RPM's came back down, i started to get on the throttle again and it went up to about 3rd and the shifted down again. Did this about 6 times before i got to a spot i could pull off. Pulled off, turned the truck off and tried it again. Same results. Eventually it just got stuck in 1st and i had to drive it home (5 miles) like that. 25mph max and RPM's at 5500. Called the dealership to come get me.

Tech put a laptop on it and said a solenoid E was stuck in the tranny. He drove it about 100 feet and called the flat bed.

So my mileage might be screwed up by the bad tranny. I never got over 13 over my entire trip. When they get another one it, im gonna try it again. Kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth concerning these trannys.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by kris77
Finally got to drive the ECOBoost yesterday.

Kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth concerning these trannys.
The 2011 5.0L Screw 4WD 3.55LS axle, XLT 5.5' bed truck I drove had some tranny issues as well. When I drove it through the parking lot, it was chugging back and forth just like a manual transmission does in 1st. I was not impressed at all. Was disappointed in the 5.0L as well as the way the tranny was working.

Now I had this same tranny issue with my 2008 Sport Trac's 6R60 trans. It's the same trans as the 6R80, just different size torque converter for the higher torque output of the F150 engines. The problem was fixed with a revised flash program for the transmission.

Seems like there's some problems in these 2011s since they screwed with programming in the trans.

I will say the trans in the 2010 I bought is just plain awesome. It does get a bit harsh when the trans fluid is cold, but after it's warmed up this trans is just plain awesome. I think they got all the problems out of the 2010s and now with new electronics in the 2011 trans, it's like starting all over. Patience is the key. It took about 1.5 years before the Sport Tracs trans finally got the shifting correct after 3 or 4 flash programs.

Just glad you were able to walk away from what could had been a disaster. After being in 6th, then going to 1st, there's also likely some engine damage. I sure wouldn't want to be the one that bought that truck.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
That truck never felt right from the first 1/4 mile i drove. I could tell something wasnt right. Just didnt know what. I drove by this morning and its still on the lot. Sitting brand new. haha They fixed the tranny and put it back on the lot as new.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by kris77
That truck never felt right from the first 1/4 mile i drove. I could tell something wasnt right. Just didnt know what. I drove by this morning and its still on the lot. Sitting brand new. haha They fixed the tranny and put it back on the lot as new.
It's considered new until it get's titled.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Tell you what, I test drove both and I would get the ecoboost over the 5.0. It's quieter, seems to be more powerful, and better on mileage.

Quick Reply: 4 hour test drive yesterday. 5.0