2009 - 2014 F-150

Picking up 2011 tomorrow...should I ask?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picking up 2011 tomorrow...should I ask?

The window sticker says it was built 12/09/10, do you think I should request that they flash the PCM to the latest version before I even pick it up? Do you think that they would, or will they put up a fuss about something like that being I have not had a chance to complain about anything yet that they can call a warranty claim?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
One, I doubt they will update. But I wouldn't force the issue, some flashes actually cause an issue. I wouldn't fix it unless it was broke.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

This may/may not work (depending upon how current the info is), but .. if you can find the part # on the PCM, and then look here...

www.motorcraftservice.com

Quick Guides > Latest Calibration Information > Search Calibration by Vehicle, Model Year and Engine

... and use the drop-downs to find yer truck/engine combo, then according to that page: "If the vehicle of interest has a part number other than the ones shown above, there is a later calibration available."

May save you from having to ask the question

Good luck.

MGD

Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Most dealerships have a PDI checklist from Ford that has to be completed pretty much right away or they lose out on money. I was a service adviser for Hyundai and the manager was always up our a** about getting them done. With PDI includes checking for any TSB's or Recalls before the customer would even see the truck on the lot. This goes for good dealerships, but some don't do them as quick. You'll know if a PDI was done if when you test drive it the clock will be set and most of the tags and seat coverings will be removed

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by mikeyss
Most dealerships have a PDI checklist from Ford that has to be completed pretty much right away or they lose out on money. I was a service adviser for Hyundai and the manager was always up our a** about getting them done. With PDI includes checking for any TSB's or Recalls before the customer would even see the truck on the lot. This goes for good dealerships, but some don't do them as quick. You'll know if a PDI was done if when you test drive it the clock will be set and most of the tags and seat coverings will be removed
This is absolutely true. My truck was a dealer search from another dealer 160 miles away. They wouldn't even let me test drive the truck until their service department did the PDI as the dealership and Ford required it. I also asked for the latest flash and was told the service department took care of it. It drives perfect unlike the 6R60 trans in my Sport Trac did when I took delivery. The Sport Trac's trans finally was great with the last flash my old dealer did on it.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All vehicle manufacturer's have to insure all recalls have been addressed before the vehicles are made available. But that is not the case with TSB's or at least with Ford. TSB's are address when and if the specific concern is noticed and verified by a technician, post delivery to the new vehicle owner.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
That's what I meant, PDI - Pre Delivery Inspection, and yes all TSB's MUST be addressed with any vehicle on the lot, even if it is not owned. When I was a assistant service manager, this was my job to check 3x a week. There is a online source that dealers have in direct communication with that updates daily in regards to TSB's, Recalls, News, or anything for that matter. Now if there are 200 vehicles on the lot, it is more difficult to keep up on the latest, but good dealers will run the vin before the customer picks the vehicle to be sure all is taken care of.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Forgot to add, some TSB's require no action, but there is a VIN breakdown and if the vehicle falls within it, it has to be checked. This only applies to brand new units. If it is used, dealers may check for TSB's but its not very likely. The brand new delivery is much more important to the dealer even though more money is made off used cars.

Quick Reply: Picking up 2011 tomorrow...should I ask?