2009 - 2014 F-150

XLT reg. Cab 5.0L or FX4 SC/EB or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, the STX is really meant to be a work truck sort of. If you option it out, it'll cost the same as an XLT and come with far few significant options. XLT if you want convenience options. XL or SXT if you want a work truck will few options.

BTW, I like a little chrome over the monocolor look but I don't like a lot. Hense, why I didn't get the Chrome Package, to much 'bling, bling" for me.

The mono color look is alright but having at least chrome bumpers looks more rugged to me on a truck. I had the plastic bumper on my Titan and didn't care for them although the F150s seem to be painted steel. I wasn't much a fan of the FX4 look or the omission of a limit slip. Plus I don't want any of the FX4 options as leather and the Lux stuff.

You should configure on Ford's website several different models in the configuration you want and options and see which comes out to be the better bang for the buck.

Last edited by Mike Up; 02-21-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The STX can be had in a regular cab for a savings compared to the XLT. Keep the L and buy an STX. If you want a fully optioned truck than buy an FX4 or FX2. But, keep the L...

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
my buddy had an 09' xlt, it was nice, but i bought the chrome vents for my 09' stx and the interior... you cant tell a difference. As far as exterior goes... whats the difference in stx and xlt besides wheels and chrome... 1- stx has basically the same exterior as FX4 and FX2 besides fender flairs and bumper valances. 2- whats the first thing most people do, get new wheels... 3- my reg. stx, before i put on 33"s, i was getting 18-23mpg, (on one trip to dallas all flat highway, i avg. 25mpg.) thats with my 4.6l..... i think it just comes down to chrome or ptm.... stx and xlt are the same in my opinion... the comment about stx being a work truck, yeah its a little better than an XL but i find the comfort level to be ideal.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Hands down, get the raptor! I am waiting on the 2012 model year in hopes that the rumors of race red as a color option for the raptor comes true, if it does I'll be first in line! If not I guess another color will do the more I check out raptors the less likely it becomes I'll go for anything else.

I have driven all 3 new motors (5.0, EB, 6.2) and they are all great choices, in your case I'd do what I could to keep the L. Those things are awesome! My vote goes to the raptor (if you can afford it) or being more realistic the FX4/2 with either 5.0 or EB.

No matter what you won't be sorry anyway you go!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
The STX and LX come standard with rubber floor and vinyl seating. You have to pay to upgrade. The front middle seat doesn't have cup holders or storage. The LX has painted steel wheels. You don't have the option of heated power mirrors with signals. There's other option differences as well but Fords build it site is down right now.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
The STX and LX come standard with rubber floor and vinyl seating. You have to pay to upgrade. The front middle seat doesn't have cup holders or storage. The LX has painted steel wheels. You don't have the option of heated power mirrors with signals. There's other option differences as well but Fords build it site is down right now.
My STX has carpet, and my middle seat is a fold down with cup holders... True no heated mirrors, but here in texas we don't really need that... As far as the turn signal, that's about a $75 mod, ( thats for most everything, lenses and wiring, ect.) I know there are some more differences, but not that many bs a STX and XLT...

Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by texas_superman
My STX has carpet, and my middle seat is a fold down with cup holders... True no heated mirrors, but here in texas we don't really need that... As far as the turn signal, that's about a $75 mod, ( thats for most everything, lenses and wiring, ect.) I know there are some more differences, but not that many bs a STX and XLT...
Yeh, those are all options that bring the price closer to an XLT. Middle seat only has pull out cup holder in the bottom of the seat. The XLT has cup holder and cargo storage built into the arm rest or top section of the seat plus the bottom pull out cup holders, and bottom cargo storage.

Last edited by Mike Up; 02-22-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by fordification
Interesting. That's about what I get in the L, and I'm not bothered.

How do you find the maneuvering in parking lots, etc. Any issues being a little bigger? Think its mostly the 7" width, and a bit more height. What did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry for the delay, just saw your reply. I've gotten used to parking it, the back up camera is huge for parking in garages, tight spaces etc. Once you get used to the front, you will be fine.

I got my raptor for $500 over invoice, ordered it way back in September and came in early December. Not the best deal out there, but still a pretty solid deal in my opinion. Mine is fully loaded, silver, except No moonroof, no graphics and no orange seats.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm also worried about the LX/STX trim not getting other internal materials like sound insulation, or cheaper door panels and fasteners. Just hypothetical. Things that you wouldn't see to keep cost down.

I went 13 years with my 98, and saved like 70k by holding out, so I might go upscale on this one.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Because you can get the raptor supercab with a 5.5ft box, it ends up being shorter then all the other trims.

Just checking to see if it fits in my garage, and its only 16" longer, and 6" wider then my 98 reg.cab shortbox and lightning.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Holy hell! Just got back from an f150 test event. Ran the ecoboost and platinum 6.2 down the strip and through roadcourse. My god the 6.2 is a beast. Even though it was wet and cold here, the tc was kicking in dramatically, but once the 6.2 rolled out, the rpms just opened up the floodgates. That is a muscle truck engine. As great as the ecoboost is, the 6.2 is my engine choice. Mid to topend is just astounding. AND THE SOUND....

I also noticed the platinum is a 3.73, so the 4.10 in the raptor must just absolutely howl. And to select the right gears to get the optimal rpms would be killer too.

For me, I'd actually be about the same fuel economy as my daily driver, and would actually improve over the lightning.

Also did an ecoboost tow test too with 6000lbs. Very smooth.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Also didn't know they all have piston squirters now, and the 6spd, is non-serviceable.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Also, the power running boards are sure a nice touch. Feel like a king with it coming out of the underside.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I too am having a hard time deciding which new truck to buy (eventually). Ford has the packages messed up a bit. I prefer a Scab 4x4 and I like the XLT, but you can't have 2 VERY important options: A moonroof and a full flow console w/ floor shifter. So that leaves the XLT out. The only way to get a Scab with a moonroof you have to get the FX4, FX2, Raptor, or Lariat. I particularly don't want the FX4 due to the e-locker (I prefer the LS system better because I don't ever go offroading and I don't want to have to pull a **** when I need both rear wheels to give traction), I don't want the Lariat due to the interior 'blond' wood and the higher cost of that truck, I love Raptors but that truck is not feasible for me as daily driver and that truck is NOT worth 45k. I live in high altitude and have to drive up the mountain quite a bit, so the gas alone for the 6.2 would kill me (I recently had my 99 5.4 F150 up at the continental divide which is all but 12k above sea level and I chewed 1/4 of gas). The FX2 is only RWD and living in Colorado I can't not have a 4x4. The truck hunt is very frustrating because whatever I choose to buy it won't be exactly how I want it.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeyss
The truck hunt is very frustrating because whatever I choose to buy it won't be exactly how I want it.
X2
I came to the same conclusion after 2 months of searching dealerships and building trucks online.I wanted the (old reliable) manual transfer case like I had in my 06.But that wasn't feasible unless I got an XL with a 3.7 v6. I finally had to compromise and pull the trigger on something. I ended up ordering an FX4. It couldn't be optioned out exactly how I wanted but closer than any other model. I'm thinking about replacing the e-locker with a Truetrac L/S and I'll have to live with the 4x4 switch on the dash.

Quick Reply: XLT reg. Cab 5.0L or FX4 SC/EB or Raptor