2009 - 2014 F-150

Shop manual? Need help w/ airbag light!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop manual? Need help w/ airbag light!

Ok, here's my problem, after installing a stereo (write-up is on the way) the stupid airbag light came on. I assumed it was because I had to reconnect the battery to move the driver seat forward to remove the rear bolts while I had already disconnected the wire hareness. I purchased a code reader thinking it would be able to clear the code and turn the light off. Turns out I was wrong. The code readers only work on engine diagnostic codes. So I went to the stealership to see if they would be able to clear the code. Turns out the code won't clear. The code is B00A0:4A which basically says there is a system fault without identifying a part. My only option now is to either figure it out myself or pay the dealership to use a scan tool to narrow it down. So my question is does anybody have any info on the airbag system? A shop manual or wiring diagram would be great. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Is your truck still under warranty? I would think the dealer would want to address the airbag system as a safety item. Disconnecting the battery is recommended for any electrical service so you did nothing negligent that should void warranty coverage.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Them diagnosing the issue should be priority one.
Has the airbag ever turned off. at random and then turned back on.? my truck has done this from 16K on . currently has 41K on it. they replaced the whole lower seat tract and it still happens. the passanger seat tract. i guess there is more than one module located under there for just about everything safety related.
i have a 09 plat.

hope they find out whats going on. my next oil change is coming up . i plan on bringing it up again. as i have to turn truck off and then back on. for the light to go out. they state while the light is on. it only means the air bag might not come on.. haha. that makes me sleep at night.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by BETCHER78
Them diagnosing the issue should be priority one.
Has the airbag ever turned off. at random and then turned back on.? my truck has done this from 16K on . currently has 41K on it. they replaced the whole lower seat tract and it still happens. the passanger seat tract. i guess there is more than one module located under there for just about everything safety related.
i have a 09 plat.

hope they find out whats going on. my next oil change is coming up . i plan on bringing it up again. as i have to turn truck off and then back on. for the light to go out. they state while the light is on. it only means the air bag might not come on.. haha. that makes me sleep at night.
Similar on my 2010 Platinum. They want me to bring it in with the airbag light on. Last time it was in they had no codes on it (light off). They told me they need to have the light on to check for the code. It's random; can go weeks before it comes on. Turn off then back on and light resets. Service told me that if the light is on, all the airbags are inop. Big safety issue. When it comes on I'm usually driving to or from work; not convenient to go to the dealer then. Planning on calling Ford about this.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I wouldn't count on it being covered on warranty - it appears you may have caused the problem installing the aftermarket stereo.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by aaronswb2
Ok, here's my problem, after installing a stereo (write-up is on the way) the stupid airbag light came on. I assumed it was because I had to reconnect the battery to move the driver seat forward to remove the rear bolts while I had already disconnected the wire hareness. I purchased a code reader thinking it would be able to clear the code and turn the light off. Turns out I was wrong. The code readers only work on engine diagnostic codes. So I went to the stealership to see if they would be able to clear the code. Turns out the code won't clear. The code is B00A0:4A which basically says there is a system fault without identifying a part. My only option now is to either figure it out myself or pay the dealership to use a scan tool to narrow it down. So my question is does anybody have any info on the airbag system? A shop manual or wiring diagram would be great. Thanks!
First thing I would do is disconnect the ground from the battery and let it sit for a little bit (reset some things, deplete the backup SRS battery), then double check all airbag harnesses. It's possible the driver's seat harness you disconnected/reconnected has a loose pin, make sure they're seated all the way in the connectors and make sure the connectors are tight together. Since you installed an aftermarket radio, also be sure that you don't have anything connected to the CANBUS wires on whatever harness you used.

I have the WSM and Wiring Diagrams for my 2010. Let me know what particular part you need and I can see if I can find it for you.

Last edited by airforceixi; 02-11-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I know on most car when you disconnet any of the airbags or sensor it will throw a light

Run into this alot at work and if disconnect the battery doesnt work a trip to the dealer is needed, same dam thing goes for wheel speed sensors they are the same way

Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I know it sounds stupid but did you remember to plug the connections ie: hazards, traction control, passenger airbag etc... back in?

I forgot to do that and my airbag light was on. Like I said something so simple you'll feel stupid if that is it.....I know I did.

Last edited by 96grimreaper; 02-11-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Well, I guess I should've been more specific on the stereo. I tapped into the factory outputs with a harness adapter for a line output converter but did not completely replace the head unit. I did double check all the connections and nothing is unplugged. I did pretty much gut the interior for the install though. I also drilled the door jam molex to run wire through there, though I checked all the connections before I put them back together. And, before anyone says I'm an idiot I've been working on car stereos for 15 years and I've never had a problem before. As far as the warranty goes there is no way they will do it for free. I installed an EQ in the dash and there's subs under the rear seat.....they know I've been messing with it. Anyways, airforceixi if you could scan and email or pm me all of the wiring diagram (or as much as you might think is relavant) I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
The airbag light(s) dont have to be on , there will be a stored code in the PCM. A normal code reader wont read it. ( like my edge cts ) . I would not think the stereo install did it. unless the lights are flashing which would indicte a different issue.

What i suspected was the issue was a module was not powering down like it should have. and or on power up. one module was not seeing another was on. either they all get along or they dont, and the lights stay on.

the tech agreed, and against fords wishes they replaced lower seat tract. was fine for a while , and it came back before next oil change.

with the 18in of snow we got a bit ago. all the rough roads, seemed to make it worse. as the pssgr seat looks like its going to fly out of the truck.

ill let everyone know what they come up with. starting to **** me off. its like an inconvience for them that i keep brining it up. its not where i purchased truck. and they are a lincoln mer dealer. but the tech is great .. its the guys at the counter that **** me off. ( tech is owner. and one of the service writers is as well. ) .. well. night all.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM
I installed the "lockpick" on my 2010 fx4 w/ nav and had the same problem. I know you said you already checked all the wires but I was almost positive I did too. I had to unbolt the airbag and move it slighly in the install instructions so I thought it was something I did. At last resort I decided to take it all apart and take the lockpick off so I could take it back to dealer to look at. I took apart again from start to finish and realized I forgot to plug in the traction control, hazards, and one other plug-in. Plugged it all back in correctly and the light was gone. Just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Shop manual? Need help w/ airbag light!