2009 - 2014 F-150

Why Level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whiel big picture I agree with you, there are 2 seperate issues here:
Ride quality and shock performance. Still hard to quantify.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Seems to me that a leveled truck will get through deeper snow and other stuff, without the front dragging.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I agree 100%. when I see a truck where the front end is higher than the rear. (Or even level empty) I shake my head and wonder WTF!
same here

Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
experience

Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I actually don't see anything wrong with the ride quality of my factory shocks. From what I have read in here, there seems to be a differing of opinion on if the 5100's actually make any improvement over the factory installed shocks. Some say it gets stiffer, which IMHO is not a great thing for "someone over 50". I personally think, and again it is my personal opinion, that replacing your shocks with 5100's before your factory installed shocks are worn out, and NOT utilizing the leveling aspect of the 5100's is a huge waste of money. Unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with. In that case, wanna buy some slightly oil slicked Florida swampland?

But, to each his own. Enjoy.
Well I did replace the shocks on my last Lariat which was a 2005, and the ride quality was a noticeable improvement.
Nothing wrong with having a little extra money, or a lot extra. FS

Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although you can never argue with experience, I wonder if the quality of factory shocks has improved with the new model of trucks? There has to be a reason for folks around here to say the 5100's gave them a stiffer ride..... Maybe with the leveling, the extra spring compression overcompensates for a potential of a better ride at factory height. Doesn't much matter, how else can we spend more of your alot extra?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteel
Why do I want my truck to be level? Are there performance issues? FS
You would level your truck because you like the way it looks leveled, and don't appreciate the stock rake look. I do think many over lift the front, only to find out that the rear sags with too little of a load.

Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I actually don't see anything wrong with the ride quality of my factory shocks. From what I have read in here, there seems to be a differing of opinion on if the 5100's actually make any improvement over the factory installed shocks. Some say it gets stiffer, which IMHO is not a great thing for "someone over 50". I personally think, and again it is my personal opinion, that replacing your shocks with 5100's before your factory installed shocks are worn out, and NOT utilizing the leveling aspect of the 5100's is a huge waste of money.
Vehicle handling is definitely improved. You can confidently corner harder with the 5100s be because you know the vehicle can do it. Some may question the importance of that improvement in a truck, and point out that stiffness comes along with handling.

If your lifting a truck, then you may end up with more vehicle roll when cornering, and need some help from the shocks to get back to the stock handling.

Quick Reply: Why Level?