2009 - 2014 F-150

Why Level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why Level?

Just ordered some Bilstein leveling shocks. Why do I want my truck to be level? Are there performance issues? FS

Old 02-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People usually level a truck because it is a relatively cheap way to fit larger tires. It also removes the rake that the truck has from the factory.

If you do level the truck and also tow a trailer you will notice that the rear end will look like it's sagging more. The factory rake allows you to load on a trailer or heavy load in the bed without being nose high.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 AM
There's nothing major. You could have shorter life of your ball joints and cv joints due to the increased working angles on each. You could have a reduction in fuel milage due to the higher position of the nose of your truck. Tons and Tons of folks run leveling kits without any issues, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
IMHO at least your doing it the " right" way with the bilsteins. (vs. some of the spacers guys use) Plus you can always change your mind at change setting back to original height.

What height are you thinking of going? There are multiple positions right?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I didn't even know they made shocks for that. I was going to get the spacers. Can you give some more info on that?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Blackout150
I didn't even know they made shocks for that. I was going to get the spacers. Can you give some more info on that?
secret Bilstein shock document.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
I have a set and I just had to check out the secret document. Good one

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz

Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fasteel
Just ordered some Bilstein leveling shocks. Why do I want my truck to be level? Are there performance issues? FS
Well, someone has to point out the obvious question, so I guess it might as well be me. If you don't know why you want your truck level, why did you spent the $430+ on leveling shocks?

I know why I bought mine, I just don't know when I'll have the time to install them, under the wife's radar. Some of us buy 5100's without the wife knowing. It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. Once they're in "but honey, I can't take em back now"

Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't want my truck level. When I had my 2004 Titan, it had the same rake that the 2010 F150 has.

MY personal belief is that it is, so you can have a better ride while keeping the capacity of the rear suspension for towing or hauling heavy items in the bed of the truck.

Many Titan owners put leveling kits on their Titan and then when they loaded the bed or hitched up a trailer, the truck look amusing because the rear end was sagging and the front end looked like it was doing a wheely.

While the spring configuration like this allows a better ride while maintaining capacity, since you do have more suspension travel in the rear which in turn, angles the headlights, can cause you to get a lot of bright light flashes at night. Using a leveling kit will only make this worse IMO.

Stiffer springs don't need the rake angle as they don't compress as much, but then you have a very stiff, bouncy ride.

I'll take the Rake look.

Surprisingly my 2008 Sport Trac had a leveled ride yet it's 'coil' springs held up very very good to heavier tongue weights without a weight distribution hitch. Without knowing for sure, I'm guessing those coil springs have a variable rate that works well for capacity.

In contrast my 2005 Pathfinder had terrible coil springs. It also was level, with a coil spring rating even higher than the Sport Trac, yet it compressed badly leaving the rear suspension sagging and the front end very high. This was using the same tongue weight of my camper, that left the Sport Trac with a nearly level ride.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 AM
I agree 100%. when I see a truck where the front end is higher than the rear. (Or even level empty) I shake my head and wonder WTF!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 AM
Mike, for someone who owns a camper, I could understand why you would want to keep the rake, but the same can be achieved with the 5100's and a larger rear block. The leveling shocks can not only be used for a simple level look, but also allow for larger tires. So for larger tire clearance, and still have the ability to tow, without being nose up, you could do what Marshall has done to his.

I, like many, do not own a camper, or a boat, or anything else that requires a hitch. Nor do I make a habit of putting heavy loads in the truck. For the vast majority of my daily driving, I do not need any rake, and think that a higher, level truck has a much better appearance.

Now, I have a friend who keeps trying to instill in me his, "paint don't get you home" attitude. But at the same time.... he rides a moped.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
I just took the blocks out of the back of mine and it's still a little bit higher in the back..

I really like the way it looks and its alot easier to get in and out of the back..(nice for tailgating too!!)

Joe

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM
choices

Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Well, someone has to point out the obvious question, so I guess it might as well be me. If you don't know why you want your truck level, why did you spent the $430+ on leveling shocks?

I know why I bought mine, I just don't know when I'll have the time to install them, under the wife's radar. Some of us buy 5100's without the wife knowing. It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. Once they're in "but honey, I can't take em back now"
Cbow

I am under the impression that you can install these shocks and leave the rake the same or make the truck level?
I had a set of 5100 in my 2005 Lariat and the ride was noticeably smoother so I'm thinking these new shocks will be an vast improvement over the Ford supplied product.
As an over 50 year old fellow there are many things to do with autos and trucks that I am not too familiar with so I come here to try and find out.
Thanks FS

Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I actually don't see anything wrong with the ride quality of my factory shocks. From what I have read in here, there seems to be a differing of opinion on if the 5100's actually make any improvement over the factory installed shocks. Some say it gets stiffer, which IMHO is not a great thing for "someone over 50". I personally think, and again it is my personal opinion, that replacing your shocks with 5100's before your factory installed shocks are worn out, and NOT utilizing the leveling aspect of the 5100's is a huge waste of money. Unless of course you have more money than you know what to do with. In that case, wanna buy some slightly oil slicked Florida swampland?

But, to each his own. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Why Level?