2009 - 2014 F-150

Test Drove Platinum EcoBoost Today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove Platinum EcoBoost Today...

One of my local dealers just got in a 2011 Platinum Ecoboost in White Metallic Tricoat. As I missed out on the demo drives a month or so ago, I had to drive it. I had already gone a couple of weeks ago and driven the 5.0, so the comparison is still fresh in my mind. Like most everyone else has already said, wow! The EB just flat out seemed to handle the massive weight of the truck so much better than the 5.0. It was very quick off the line with great acceleration at all speeds.

It was a pretty short test drive and I was giving it heck on the throttle, so I couldn't tell you much in the way of mileage, but I think I have officially made up my mind.

I do have a question though: I'm more than likely going to end up doing a factory order to get the options I want. I've never done a factory order before and was curious to how you would go about negotiating a trade-in. I tried searching on here but couldn't turn up much. I'm guessing the dealer won't settle on a trade-in value until the factory order is delivered, but if that is the case, it sure seems like a good way for a dealer to stick it to you in the end. Anybody have any advice on this? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I was in the same boat and that is the truck I ordered or just like that, but still have a few weeks before I get mine. I will say I am excited they are hitting the lots.

I ended up selling my truck out right the dealer didn't want to give me anything for it but I have another car to drive until the truck gets here. Got my asking price on the street but you lose the tax break on the trade.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM
This truck had the max tow package, the tailgate step and pole, and some dealer-added protection crap all that I don't want and don't want to pay for, otherwise, it was the truck I want.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I drove one the other day as well. I was really impressed. Drives great. I think I am going to order one too. Did your dealer mention how long the build will actually take? Mine said 6-8 weeks, but I am looking for "real" build time.

I am looking at either Lariat or Platinum SCREW, Ecoboost, 6.5' bed, 4x4, 3.55 Limited slip axle, moonroof, navigation/sony, trailer brake and tailgate step.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I never got around to getting into that much detail with him.

Last edited by dirtworm; 02-12-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: remove sig
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtworm
One of my local dealers just got in a 2011 Platinum Ecoboost in White Metallic Tricoat. As I missed out on the demo drives a month or so ago, I had to drive it. I had already gone a couple of weeks ago and driven the 5.0, so the comparison is still fresh in my mind. Like most everyone else has already said, wow! The EB just flat out seemed to handle the massive weight of the truck so much better than the 5.0. It was very quick off the line with great acceleration at all speeds.

It was a pretty short test drive and I was giving it heck on the throttle, so I couldn't tell you much in the way of mileage, but I think I have officially made up my mind.

I do have a question though: I'm more than likely going to end up doing a factory order to get the options I want. I've never done a factory order before and was curious to how you would go about negotiating a trade-in. I tried searching on here but couldn't turn up much. I'm guessing the dealer won't settle on a trade-in value until the factory order is delivered, but if that is the case, it sure seems like a good way for a dealer to stick it to you in the end. Anybody have any advice on this? Thanks.
I was in the same boat back in December except that I was able to drive a 5.0 one day and the EB the next. That settled my mind right away.

Now for your other questions. I am 3+ weeks into my 6-8 wait for my Platinum EB that was ordered. I have an X-plan through work and was able to use that so trade in was the deal maker. I talked to quite a few dealerships until I found one that made me a fair deal on trade in. Crain Ford on Chennal in Little Rock gave me $4000 more than most other dealerships and has an in house 100k warranty. We have agreed to a trade in price unless I wreck the truck or run the miles way up. I gave them a chance and they came through, so far I really can't say anything bad about them. The Crain in Jacksonville is absolute garbage. The sales team is ok nothing special but the service department shouldn't be allowed to touch a lawnmower that is being given to Goodwill.

If you are close to LR then it would be worth your time to give them a call. If you need it I can give you the salesman I have been dealing with. Name drop me and we might be able to get a few more $$$ off as some dealerships give referral fees.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow Wookie, it was actually at Crain on Chenal where I drove the Platinum EB yesterday. I live in Maumelle . You said you were able to get x-plan, I don't suppose you're able to come by extra pins are ya? Either way, I would certainly be interested in working with you and your salesman if it could lead to a better deal for me. We can take this to PM if you like.

Thanks!
David

Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PM sent.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I used to work for Crain Automotive in NLR.

YOU MUST visit service every 5 mos. or 5K miles and request your Powertrain Warranty Inspection in order for the warranty to be valid. One day or one mile over at any time and you lose the powertrain warranty. NO Exceptions...

Last edited by Blue07STX; 02-13-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by dirtworm
Wow Wookie, it was actually at Crain on Chenal where I drove the Platinum EB yesterday. I live in Maumelle . You said you were able to get x-plan, I don't suppose you're able to come by extra pins are ya? Either way, I would certainly be interested in working with you and your salesman if it could lead to a better deal for me. We can take this to PM if you like.

Thanks!
David
Sent PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 AM
sorry for getting the thread off track but I also bought my truck from crain ford. I have to.say that I had a great sales experience with an incredibly nice salesman, but their service statement is just beyond pathetic in my opinion. Way too many people standing around picking their noses and the ones that aren't are not very pleasant to talk to or work with. But I have gotten three free oil changes due to a few people's lack of basic life skills.

Quick Reply: Test Drove Platinum EcoBoost Today...