2009 - 2014 F-150

LED highbeam in dual beam projector set up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back when i had projectors on my truck i made it so that my high beams didnt shut off my hid low beams, but with hid lows and halogen highs, high beams were no brighter....now if you had hid in both low and high that would be nice, nice cut off for your lows then with high beams it will glare everywhere and will be like day light

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by murderout
is there not a way to make the projector stay on all the time?
I currently have no need to run a high beam, but i've been wanting to just wire another low beam using the power from the alternate headlight and wire it to a switch inside to initially have all 4 lights on at the same time. Just need some extra hours in the day.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by murderout
is there not a way to make the projector stay on all the time?
Yes...you can get your projectors to stay on even with the highbeams on...but that will take some electrical work...are you up for it? Also....if anything goes wrong down the road with your wiring or headlights, Ford will laugh you right out of the dealership for warranty work. IMO...send your current oem headlights to a place to retrofit BI Xenon HIDs into them...get it done the right way.

Originally Posted by azmidget91
back when i had projectors on my truck i made it so that my high beams didnt shut off my hid low beams, but with hid lows and halogen highs, high beams were no brighter....now if you had hid in both low and high that would be nice, nice cut off for your lows then with high beams it will glare everywhere and will be like day light

Ok, so basically everytime you need to flash your highbeams, you will ignite the gas, and then shut it off? So the high bemas never have time to warm up to their full running temp? This is why you go with Bi Xenon HId's...b/c the smae bulb stays on, and its jsut a cut off plate that moves.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BL4CK0UT
I am running these headlights with HID's in them, they say specifically on the housing that its not made for HID's but I dont see why not? They've been working for 4 months just fine with me.
They say not for HIDs because HIDs are illegal and they are not meant for that type of bulb. Its like putting E85 in a non-flex vehicle. You can, but you shouldn't.

Originally Posted by Timelessr1
what happens when you put on your high beams? Does your low beams (HIDs) go off? How long do you think that will hold up? just because you could...doesnt mean you should......
exactly.

Originally Posted by BL4CK0UT
I currently have no need to run a high beam, but i've been wanting to just wire another low beam using the power from the alternate headlight and wire it to a switch inside to initially have all 4 lights on at the same time. Just need some extra hours in the day.
I'm confused at what you are aiming for. You don't need a high beam, but now you are talking about using it? What?

Originally Posted by Timelessr1

Ok, so basically everytime you need to flash your highbeams, you will ignite the gas, and then shut it off? So the high bemas never have time to warm up to their full running temp? This is why you go with Bi Xenon HId's...b/c the smae bulb stays on, and its jsut a cut off plate that moves.
I think he had the standard HID low/ halogen high, but had it wired to where the HIDs would keep running when he turned on the highs.

Quick Reply: LED highbeam in dual beam projector set up?