2009 - 2014 F-150

LED highbeam in dual beam projector set up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED highbeam in dual beam projector set up?

I was looking at these headlights but wondering if you could use an LED style H1 bulb in the high beam (as opposed to the halogen H1 that comes equipped) to match 6000k HID headlights in the projector low beam. Since HID's have to warm up you cannot really use them for separate high beams since they wouldn't have the responsiveness of a halogen or LED bulb, but would the LED be bright enough for high beam use? I know LEDs are brighter than halogen everywhere else so it seems logical.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Two problems with your theory.... Those lights projectors were not made to house HID's...just halogen bulbs. secondly, the way our lights work, is when you put the high beams on, the low beams shut off. This would not be good for the set up your talking about, b/c if you flash your highs, the HID's will shut off, and then have to come back on again after the highs are off...constantly doing this will dramaticly shorten the HID's life. Thats why ppl go with a BI Xenon HID set up, so the same bulb always stays on.

Last edited by Timelessr1; 02-12-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Two problems with your theory.... Those lights projectors were not made to house HID's...just halogen bulbs. secondly, the way our lights work, is when you put the high beams on, the low beams shut off. This would not be good for the set up your talking about, b/c if you flash your highs, the HID's will shut off, and then have to come back on again after the highs are off...constantly doing this will dramaticly shorten the HID's life. Thats why ppl go with a BI Xenon HID srt up, so the same bulb always stays on.
Right on.

Plus - by now, most everyone knows we have a dedicated forum for lighting-related discussions.

More folks will see it - and in this case, more folks will pile on.

MGD

PS - those look ricey - sorry :o

Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
And Led's don't put out enough light

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I don't think they look ricey at all. But HID's in the low beams in there should be fine. Also LED's aren't going to put out the same light like a halogen bulb would. Although if you have HID low beams the halogen high beams probably wouldn't be much of a difference.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Replacement LED bulbs do not have the same luminous efficacy as halogens or HIDs as well. There are a few car makers with LED headlamps (Audi, Cadillac, etc) but they are a single 30W diode with a HUGE heat sink.

tl;dr- no. Keep halogens in that light

Old 02-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I tried replacing stock headlight bulbs with LED(18 SMD). But the light output was VERY poor, so I switched back to halogen. So I don't think using LED for highbeams is a good idea. Those LEDs are only good for color matching foglights to HID headlights.

Last edited by Lusso; 02-13-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lusso
I tried replacing stock headlight bulbs with LED(18 SMD). But the light output was VERY poor, so I switched back to halogen. So I don't think using LED for highbeams is a good idea. Those LEDs are only good for color matching foglights to HID headlights.
You cannot put an LED or HID lighting system in a halogen setup and expect greater results. Its like taking your trailer off your F-150 and putting it on your Civic hoping you'll get better gas mileage while towing.

All three light systems have different "needs". None of them are interchangeable and the stores that sell these 9006 and 9005 LED bulbs clearly state they are for cosmetics only, not to be used for lighting purposes.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can put HID's into projectors though

Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Two problems with your theory.... Those lights projectors were not made to house HID's...just halogen bulbs. secondly, the way our lights work, is when you put the high beams on, the low beams shut off. This would not be good for the set up your talking about, b/c if you flash your highs, the HID's will shut off, and then have to come back on again after the highs are off...constantly doing this will dramaticly shorten the HID's life. Thats why ppl go with a BI Xenon HID set up, so the same bulb always stays on.
If these Recon projectors aren't made to work with HIDs where might I find something that would?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by camopaint0707
you can put HID's into projectors though

yes but again, they aren't made for that unless you are referring to OEM xenon projectors.

Originally Posted by murderout
If these Recon projectors aren't made to work with HIDs where might I find something that would?
you'd have to buy OEM xenon projector and retrofit them into your headlights

Old 02-14-2011, 07:48 AM
This is an awesome website/forum for HID information, and retrofits and projectors

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

Also these are perfect posts right up your alley :-) Maybe some other ppl might learn a thing or two also....

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...hese-just-junk

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ood-projectors!!!

Last edited by Timelessr1; 02-15-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
I am running these headlights with HID's in them, they say specifically on the housing that its not made for HID's but I dont see why not? They've been working for 4 months just fine with me.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by BL4CK0UT
I am running these headlights with HID's in them, they say specifically on the housing that its not made for HID's but I dont see why not? They've been working for 4 months just fine with me.
what happens when you put on your high beams? Does your low beams (HIDs) go off? How long do you think that will hold up? just because you could...doesnt mean you should......

Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
what happens when you put on your high beams? Does your low beams (HIDs) go off? How long do you think that will hold up? just because you could...doesnt mean you should......
is there not a way to make the projector stay on all the time?

Quick Reply: LED highbeam in dual beam projector set up?