2009 - 2014 F-150

Tow vs Max Tow

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow vs Max Tow

I posted this on another forum, but I'm interested in other opinions about this...

I'm looking for some clarification of the Max Tow package. It seems to me that it's not all that much different from the "Tow Package". I'll quote from the CDN brochure, but I'd have to assume the US version is the same.

I've ordered a 2011 FX2 that's scheduled to build next week. The FX2 is "equipped with all XLT features plus:" a long list including "Trailer Tow Package"

The list of XLT options includes "Trailer Tow Package (required for towing over 2,268kg [5,000 lbs])-Includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator; auxiliary transmission oil cooler; and 6-speed Select Shift Automatic Transmission"

The list of FX2 options includes "Max Trailer Tow Package-Includes Class IV trailer receiver hitch; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator; auxiliary transmission oil cooler; trailer brake controller; upgraded rear bumper; 6-speed Select Shift Automatic Transmission; and manual trailer tow mirrors with power/heated glass, integrated turn signal indicators and security approach lamps"

Almost everything here is already included as standard on the FX2.

I've ordered the brake controller, too.

Does this mean that the only difference between Tow and Max Tow on my truck is the upgraded bumper and the mirrors (and of course the EB)? I don't see anything that would give greater load capacity on "Max Tow" over "Tow". It's even more confusing when you consider that the towing numbers are down from last year's 5.4 which had lower HP and TQ numbers.

There seems to be a lot of discussion that the Max Tow is only available with the EB. If what I'm seeing is correct, then why the uproar? Are there other upgrades (e.g. upgraded springs…) included in the max tow that aren't mentioned in the brochure?

Also in the chart listing maximum trailer weight ratings, there is a footnote for some of the numbers that says "Requires Max Trailer Tow package".

Is there a separate list showing towing capacity with "Tow" vs. "Max Tow"?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 PM
There really is very little difference between the two. Its just that one has a higher rating and a few tweaks. The 5.0 being rated lower than the 5.4 as far as towing is purely marketing, as they are trying to push the ecoboost and had to give it a discernible advantage over the 5.0. To be perfectly honest, in my eyes, if you are going to be towing over 10K you need to be looking at a super duty anyway. The 5.0 is perfectly fine for what I do.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Max tow requires the EB or 6.2.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Max tow requires the EB or 6.2.
I know, but what puts the Max in Max Tow?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PitCritter
Honestly? A bunch of Marketing guys in suits in a conference room.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by PitCritter
So far I have seen nothing but dumbo mirrors, upgraded bumper, and brake controller is standard.

I went for the trailer brake controller and didn't get the Max Tow.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 PM
dont you get 7-lugs too?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM
If you look at the payload page of the catalog, the Max Tow trucks have about an extra 1000lbs payload. Nothing listed in the "option" list for max tow will increase the payload, so I am guessing the rear springs are also upgraded... But I have no proof they are.

Any of the dealer/service guys here have any Idea? Does Max Tow change the part # for the rear springs?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Max tow gets you @ 450 - 500lbs in real world payload.

A Ford parts guy and me tryed to figure out the spring codes... its tough.

I think the only way to realy do it is to take two new identical chassis (ex: 5.5 vs. 5.5 crews) reg tow vs. max tow and drop 1500lbs on the hitch and measure squat.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 AM
3.73 I thought as well

Quick Reply: Tow vs Max Tow